ROM Hack Data Extraction

flammabubble

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Right, I've used both DSLazy and Nitro explorer to open up my DS rom, what I want to try and do is access the image files on the game, I.E. what you see on the screen when you're playing like the backgrounds, locations, sprites etc. I've managed to extract all the sound data from the .SDAT and .ADX files, but I really want to try and access the images, so I need help with two things: Firstly, does anyone know what extension they'll be under? There are a LOT of .bin files that I can't access =/ so they might be there, and secondly, do you know what program I should use to extract them? Hope someone will be able to help =/

rastsan

8 baller, Death Wizard,
Trophies
Website
rastsan.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Canada
gety yourself crytaltile2 open the rom or file(s) dumped
goto view tile view (F5)
in the left of the screen there is a properties pane there you can change the properties for viewing the file
so... some screen and backgrounds are tile size 256 by 192 so you might want to search with that (use your mouse look slowly through the file and hope you see someththing recognizable as a graphic)
note the 256 is just a suggestion it could be ANYTHING.... size wise
also you can probably find the pallete for the graphics in there somewhere

example nostalgia use crystaltile2 after opening you rom and going to tile view press ctrl+n (nds file structure) or tools -
now there is a window with the nds file structure- scroll through that til you see anything listed with a sub file -tile file
right click that and retrieve tile address
now you can see said file as graphic
if it doesn't look right don't worry default pallete for at least the game icon (sometimes this helps) can be used...
in the nds file system window - edit - view icon(s)
use the same nds file system window and find the sample/2d/WT_test2_256.ncgr file right click retrieve tile address right below it is the pallete file for it
right click it and load the pallete all you have to do now is change the rom window so you can see the background image
to dump that image and to insert a new one - edit - export or import image (not the nds file sytem window, the edit edit above the properties panel)

you can use this method for a lot of games

if you want to know more about graphics for nds or use a different program try arcnors tahaxan http://tahaxan.arcnor.com/
you will at least be able to see the graphics with it, just a matter of remembering the offsets and other size settings for use with crystaltile2 so you can dump and edit it (tahaxan is limited in its functions)

Trophies
Website
www.zeldainmypocket.com
XP
Country
United States
Sorry about the bump, but before I try, would it be possible for me to open up a game, replace some of the images, and run it as normal? (i.e. Take Pokemon SoulSilver and change the player sprite to Link sprites, and make the trees spooky-like?)

I'm just not sure if there's a way I can access the files without fully extracting them. Because I doubt that I could repackage them again. Could I?

rastsan

8 baller, Death Wizard,
Trophies
Website
rastsan.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Canada
now that I'v re read this if there is no listings for graphics and it is all bin files (example zoids dash)
one bin file with alot crammed in

your best bet would be to try common graphioc sizes and and a grayscale pallete
256 by 192
32 by 32
8 by 8

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn