Darth Maul, Former Gigolo

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Darth Maul was one of the only things I enjoyed in The Phantom Menace. My only gripe was Obi Wan's delay before delivering the fatal blow; though of course this isn't anything the better Fan Edits have not resolved... if you want to bother.

I also read and loved the book as it fleshed out everything as needed, and even went as far as including extra scenes which give weight to later happenings in the tale. Having enjoyed the book as much as I did, and enjoying Darth Maul as much as many people seem to have, I wanted more. Though having seen the moving, and read the book, I knew that Darth Maul was not only slit into halves and beyond repair, but that he also fell into the planet's core.
In fact the only story that suggested that he survived at the time, was one of the What If tales produced by Dark Horse comics called Star Wars: Visionaries. Not it or any of the other tales found in the comic were intended to be canon, in fact, Maul's would be impossible within the Star Wars universe at that time as it had not gotten the Marvel comics treatment yet. I.E. Maul uses the his hate and the dark side to sanitize his waste, sanitize steel from a garbage pile he did not fall into, and use it to make delicately made legs to walk upon...

So with that in mind, I had to look elsewhere to get my canonical Darth Maul fix and that only existed in the prequel era to The Phantom Menace. Star Wars: Darth Maul (2000), Darth Maul: Saboteur (2001), Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter (2001). I enjoyed all three of these as they added detail in regards to the how and whys behind the dark conspiracy behind the prequels, and also bothered to deal with some no name characters who had no force powers, and make it interesting. More than that they even did the comic where Darth Maul takes out the Vigos of Black Sun, thus setting the stage for the rise of Xizor from the old EU, Empire/Jedi era.

I was content with what I had read, and was saddened to see that they'd officially brought Maul back from the dead as if he was more than a mere Sith Assassin and a disposable one at that. Don't get me wrong, Maul was cool as shit, but the bottom line is that the Clone Wars writers went and totally changed everything about Maul's past at the time, even the details as to what planet him and his species were from. Then top it all off, they tamped with and wrecked the Witches of Dathomir mythos, gave Maul a long lost brother story arch, gave his brother over night Sith and Fighting Skill via Witch Magic, and on and on and on.

To make matters worse, they recently brought him back in Rebels as a survivor of the Clone Wars. Like Clone Wars Rebels has that cheasy, Star Wars: Droids, Saturday Morning Kids Cartoon feel to it, where in they do things, and drop the sort of one liners, and so on, at the most unrealistic, or uncharacteristic of times, and the worst part is that they thing it's adding humour.

What does humour me though is the fact that Darth Maul looks like he's been distributing hand jobs for the past for years in order to get by, and to feed his Meth addiction.
And to think people actually believe I can't adapt merely for the fact that I grew up on the classics. Rather it's that I see shit writing, shit animation, and shit voice acting when I see it.

On a side note, I also noticed that Ahsoka Montana survived as well; everyone's beloved cross marketing tool...

starwarsrebels-trailershot7.jpg

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-