Damaged 3DS carts

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by macd1876, Feb 10, 2017.

1. macd1876
    OP

macd1876 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 8, 2017
    My sons copy of Poke months Sun for the 3DS was chewed by our small dog, it appears to just be the outer casing, but although it fits into the 3ds,it isn't detected , so he bought a replacement, only problem is he had played about 140 hours on it, is there any way nintendo or someone else can retrieve the save games from the damaged cart?

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

2. Blue_Mew

Blue_Mew Shiny Mew!

Oct 2, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Faraway Island
    If the cart isn't readable, there's nothing you can do. Sorry

3. PokeAcer

PokeAcer Banned

Banned
    May 28, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Wales
    This is sort of true. I found chewed carts that still work however, so what I suggest doing is breaking off the tiny little tabs that space out the cart pins - they sometimes snap off and block the cart (do not do this on the new one, you should only do this if one or more are damaged)
    [​IMG] just to ensure you know what I mean.
    It could be possible further damage has occured: can you post a picture of the cart (front and back)? You might be able to actually open it up and fix it but that'd take a lot of effort for no potential fix.

BORTZ and Blue_Mew like this.
  4. macd1876
    OP

macd1876 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 8, 2017
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    That back photo looks worse than it really is, there are small teeth marks on the connectors, but the circuit board isn't broken, it was a chihuahua puppy so it has small teeth.

5. MarioMasta64

MarioMasta64 hi. i make batch stuff and portable shiz

Dec 21, 2016
    United States
    the top right corner of the cart might be a problem as part of it has damage but the bottom for the most part seems intact minus the contacts.

6. bobdamnit

bobdamnit GBAtemp Regular

Jul 15, 2014
    United States
    These carts just snap together. There is no glue or adhesive holding it together. The circuit board underneath looks mostly undamaged. If it were me, I'd go up to the local used game store and buy as many $3 carts as I need/want, then I'd carefully swap the Pokemon circuit board into another cart case. You may need glue or an adhesive to hold the cart back together afterwords if you damage the locking mechanism.

I say purchase many because you will almost certainly break a few trying to get them apart.

PokeAcer, NekoMichi and MarioMasta64 like this.
  7. Wallydraigle

Wallydraigle Member

Newcomer
    Sep 12, 2009
    United States
    Same thing happened to me, but mine has basically one tooth mark that didn't perforate the plastic case and which appears to have not damaged the circuit bard, but the card won't read anyway. I suspect what happened is the stress broke one of the pins underneath the ROM chip. Some day I'll get around to trying to reflow it and see if it works long enough to get my save off it. I'll report back.

8. dAVID_

dAVID_ GBATemp Enthusiast

Oct 23, 2016
    Mexico
    Your basement
    Oh man, i don't think it'll work. A9LH your kids' conssole.

9. macd1876
    OP

macd1876 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 8, 2017
    I am pretty sure his 3ds is on the latest firmware, can't remember exactly but I think it was 1.36 so softmod is out of the question I'm afraid. :-(