Daisy Chaining 3 Routers

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by WildWon, Oct 3, 2010.

Oct 3, 2010

Daisy Chaining 3 Routers by WildWon at 7:59 PM (1,206 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. WildWon
    OP

Former Staff WildWon EXTERMINATE!

United States
    Hey guys, i need some help.

My computer is sitting on the last router in a series of three:

internet -> Linksys N (192.168.1.1) -> Linksys G (...2.1) -> Linksys G (...3.1)-> Wild'Puter (...3.101)
    (i hate wireless, and to hardwire, they're all running through ceilings and whatnot, from upstairs to downstairs. And we have 7 computers all hooked up and running)

Is there a way i can change ...2.1 & ...3.1 to NOT have those IP's, but really just extend IPs off of ...1.1? (so instead of my 'puter being ...3.101, i'd be ...1.101, but still hooked to the 3rd router)?

IF NOT:
    Reason for what i'm doing this: i'm trying to start up a private Minecraft server for a buddy of mine, but i'm having port problems, and i can't figure out how to forward the ports for computer at 192.168.2.104 through both routers so he can connect.

That's one of a few reasons i'd like the first option, but if not, any thoughts on the second?

Thanks guys [​IMG]

EDIT: Also, for the private server, i don't think it'll run too well on the current system, i was just trying to get a connection to work. i MAY try to run it on my main system here, but i'd need the ports forwarded through 3 modems... so either of the above will help later. And i may post my priv serv info... but we have better GBAtemp servers already [​IMG]

2. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    I believe you can manually set the router/hub IPs to 192.168.1.2 and ...1.3 and still work. Generally I've not tried it myself because I've never come into that situation. Generally the whole reason for making it ...2.1 and ...3.1 is to distinguish each network according to the router/hub it's connected to.

For port forwarding, if I remember (it's been 3 years since I've set this up for someone else), you make each router forward ports to the router ahead in the chain (basically point each router at each gateway) and share the same port, rather than point them all at the DNS.

I've found it so much easier to set up routers/hubs in access relay mode (think USB hubs and how they work) than have them as fully functional routers. It puts more strain on the main router having to manage them all, but it's a lil faster because each router/hub attached doesn't need to think about what's going where, and just directs packets to the IP specified.

3. WildWon
    OP

United States
    After some quick googling, I think a 'relay' is what i'm looking for. Will that put the two extra chained routers to the 192.168.1.x, but then all computers on the network will be 192.168.1.x as well)?

4. Originality

United Kingdom
    I believe so, because the extra routers will no longer become gateways but relays. Again, I've not done it for 3 years, so my memories may not be reliable.

5. how_do_i_do_that

Member how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

Antarctica
    You have to put the 2 routers that you do not want to override the DHCP of the first one by setting the operating mode from gateway to router. This should be found under the advance settings.

6. WildWon
    OP

United States
    I tried the gateway to router, but i lost connection outside of router 3. I could hit the one i'm directly connected to, but no internets, and no connection to ...2.1 or ...1.1. I both /release/renew'd and cycled the router, and still nothing. I changed it back to 'gateway' and no problems.

Do i need to disable DHCP on ...3.1? (i messed with that a LITTLE bit, but i didn't effect the outcome... so, i dunno) (thx for the idea, i appreciate it)

Any other ideas, anyone?

7. OSW

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
    I think you need your 2nd and 3rd to act as a "switch" (or a bridge?). I don't know if it will work with your routers or not but I'm not sure.

If the router can act like a switch, i think this is how you set it up.

Connect cable from router 1 LAN port 4 to router 2 LAN port 1 (not WAN!!).
    connect router 2 LAN port 4 to router 3 LAN port 1 (not WAN!!).

I'm actually using a dedicated switch, I can't remember if I tried this with normal routers before but it seems familiar...

Also make sure that DHCP and all that crap is off on the second and third routers.

p.s. I could be wayyy off target here. But it seems like it makes sense in my memory lol.

8. WildWon
    OP

United States
    AHA! That's what i didn't do! (i did this YEARS ago between 2 routers... but i can never remember, and that's the step!

Question- Will i need to set the "gateway" to "router"? Or is this purely a wire solution?
    (i'll try a few ways later, it's just time for bed now, and if anyone knows... it'd be cool to skip a try or two tomorrow night [​IMG])

Thx OSsy! You win a high five (because i'm 99% sure this is right... it sounds heavily familiar).
    *highfive*

9. murkurie

Member murkurie GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I'm doing something similar but wirelessly, I have my FIOS router in the office, normal settings, here in my room I have a linksys flashed with a some custom firmware cant remember the name. which is connected to a switch, I set it the router bridge mode, and have it connect over the wifi, you should just be able to connect with a ethernet cable, and manually set the 2nd and 3rd routers IP to something like 192.168.2.1 and 192.168.2.2 and then disable dhcp on both of them, so the IP's are done by the main router

10. OSW

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
    just in case you didn't notice, i fixed some typos in my post so as not to confuse you.

Lol I hope so because I could be totally wrong... I'm working from a very vague memory of what my cousin taught me (he does a lot of networking). Let us know if you figure it out and if so [​IMG]

11. Originality

United Kingdom
    It sounds familiar to me too, the whole distinction between LAN and WAN and "bridging" routers, so it's probably right. Sorry for not remembering those key terms ;p

12. WildWon
    OP

United States
    No worries, you already gave me more idea's than i could remember. And i'd rather have some possibly wrong (legit) ideas, rather than being stuck with no idea at all [​IMG]