Hacking d2x installer + usb loader mishaps

Belatbi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've been a long time user of USB Loader, but kept running into issues when changing backups on my USB stick (I know its not the best, but when it worked, it worked flawlessly for months, and I'm not inclined to buy an HDD when it worked just fine with a stick). Recently, I couldn't figure out how to load GCB and Wii games in the same USB, so i opted to dedicating the stick only to GCB when I wanted a GCB game, and it worked fine (but on Nintendont). I then wanted to go back to wii games, so I loaded the stick with my old games.
The directory should be root of drive/ wbfs/ gamename GameID/ gameID.wbfs (right? anyways its like that in harddrive settings and in my stick)
So problem is it won't load the "right" partition (always had this hidden 0.19GB partition on the stick), but switching manually into the larger one would eventually show the games, just not load them (black screen). This was on r1262.
I decided to update as an attempt of fixing this, now am on r1268, running IOS249 (r21006) +AHB, d2x v6 base56. The games don't show anymore.
I saw in forums that d2x v6 sucks (rather, v8 and 10 are much much better for the loader). So i downloaded d2x installer and opened it on HBC. The issue here is that I'm not able to get to v8 from the selection menu. I saw that I had to download the v8 package, which I did, and replace the contents of the d2x installer folder with that of the v8 package. I put the ciosmaps.xml AND the v8 final folder in the d2x installer folder, which replaced the "default" ciosmaps.xml that came with the installer. I had MMM in apps, which i removed as per suggestions on another thread. I also erased the WADs folder according to that same thread. Still when I go to the installer on the Wii, I only get v6 as my highest version.
Note that I only extracted the V8 Final folder and the ciosmaps.xml into the installer folder, I left out the readme and changelog (if that has any effect).
I tried changing USB Loader's IOS to 58 (which is what d2x says I'm running), but everytime I exit USB Loader, the settings revert to ISO 249.
Any suggestions are appreciated!

----FIX---- Kudos to @TheShadowEevee
1- Issue was with both SD and USB for my case.
2- The fix for the SD was that it was read only (silly me)
3- The fix for the USB was partition map. It was under GUID Partition Map (because I used heavily on OSX) and has a hidden 0.19/0.20 gb partition, which i was able to merge on a Windows and reformat the partition map as Master Boot Record.

Last edited by Belatbi,
Reactions: TheShadowEevee

TheShadowEevee

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm... Im not sure but the game loading issues seem to be an IOS issue as you meantioned, and the settings not saving Im not sure about. Naybe check to make sure the SD card your using isnt in read only mode?

Reactions: Belatbi

Belatbi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hmm... Im not sure but the game loading issues seem to be an IOS issue as you meantioned, and the settings not saving Im not sure about. Naybe check to make sure the SD card your using isnt in read only mode?

I feel like its read only. If I'm able to delete and store things from my PC, is it read and write? The lock has broken off so I can't tell if its read only. I assumed its read and write specifically because I could edit its contents from my computer (I could be horribly wrong I didn't read up on this)
NOTE though, I tried running a syscheck and nothing seems to store on my SD. Could it be its read only?

TheShadowEevee

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel like its read only. If I'm able to delete and store things from my PC, is it read and write? The lock has broken off so I can't tell if its read only. I assumed its read and write specifically because I could edit its contents from my computer (I could be horribly wrong I didn't read up on this)
NOTE though, I tried running a syscheck and nothing seems to store on my SD. Could it be its read only?
Hmm... If your computer can access it it should be read/write... Do you have a spare SD or flash drive? If you have a spare SD try using it to see if its the SD your using. Or if you have any wiiware or something try copying that to the broken SD? Dont move it, just copy it then restart the wii and see if it's still there. If you have a spare flash drive, find a guide on running homebrew off your flash drive and see if that works for saving settings in USB Loader. If for some reason you can't access the homebrew channel use this if you have the internet browser, or this if you don't.

Belatbi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hmm... If your computer can access it it should be read/write... Do you have a spare SD or flash drive? If you have a spare SD try using it to see if its the SD your using. Or if you have any wiiware or something try copying that to the broken SD? Dont move it, just copy it then restart the wii and see if it's still there.
I feel so dumb and you're a life saver
So I was using a Micro SD adapter to edit my files. Turns out it was locked after all. I was only able to edit because I edited thru the Micro SD adapter (not an SD card that has a Micro SD). I actually am able to install final v8 now as it finally shows up on d2x installer. What versions should I install for USB Loader?

TheShadowEevee

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel so dumb and you're a life saver
So I was using a Micro SD adapter to edit my files. Turns out it was locked after all. I was only able to edit because I edited thru the Micro SD adapter (not an SD card that has a Micro SD). I actually am able to install final v8 now as it finally shows up on d2x installer. What versions should I install for USB Loader?

No Problem! I'm Glad I Could Help. With USB Loader I think I use IOS 249, Which I have a modified IOS 56 there. I can't check this for sure as my sister is using it to play Harvest Moon right now, but looking at my sd card backup the file I have is cIOS249[56]-d2x-v8-final.wad, which I hope can help you figure out what you need? If not let me know and Ill look into it further for you.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Also Sorry the response took so long, I didn't get the notification.

Belatbi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No Problem! I'm Glad I Could Help. With USB Loader I think I use IOS 249, Which I have a modified IOS 56 there. I can't check this for sure as my sister is using it to play Harvest Moon right now, but looking at my sd card backup the file I have is cIOS249[56]-d2x-v8-final.wad, which I hope can help you figure out what you need? If not let me know and Ill look into it further for you.

Don't be sorry at all! I'll look into it and tell you how it goes

TheShadowEevee

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shoot, I'm running concessions for a school basketball game, so if you need help your going to have to message me on Discord ( @TheShadowEevee#3632 ) (Easyer for me to respond to when I'm busy) or hope someone else can help as I'm not sure how long I will be gone.

Belatbi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Oops, I feel a little silly not thinking about bootmii, so I'm glad you did. Hope everything else turns out well!
So the cIOS installed v8, but USB Loader still doesnt pick up the games. I'm thinking this might be a USB issue. I changed settings on USB Loader, and they are saved (unlike before), meaning the SD is able to be written (also was able to make a NAND backup too so that also confirms it). I'm trying to remember what to do from there

TheShadowEevee

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So the cIOS installed v8, but USB Loader still doesnt pick up the games. I'm thinking this might be a USB issue. I changed settings on USB Loader, and they are saved (unlike before), meaning the SD is able to be written (also was able to make a NAND backup too so that also confirms it). I'm trying to remember what to do from there
So now that settings save, you should be able to change the partion in settings I think.

Belatbi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So now that settings save, you should be able to change the partion in settings I think.
Changing partitions doesn't change anything. Games are still not picked up. I tried changing the directory as /wbfs/gameid.wbfs but that hasnt changed anything from the original /wbfs/gamename [gameid]/gameid.wbfs
A note, the Loader works fine without the usb, but would behave abnormally with the USB inserted (for instance, crashing the wii when switching back into the HBC or the system menu). My game is 4gb+, so split into 4gb parts. The size of one of the parts is 4.3gb, is that normal? (wbf1 is 3.8gb, wbfs is 4.3gb, I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it but shouldn't it be exactly 4.3 or less?)

Belatbi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So it turns out I had GUID partition map on the whole time. I had a hidden 200mb partition which I merged on a windows computer and reformatted to MBR. Now the game is being picked up perfectly.

Belatbi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So it turns out I had GUID partition map on the whole time. I had a hidden 200mb partition which I merged on a windows computer and reformatted to MBR. Now the game is being picked up perfectly.

TheShadowEevee

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As seen in the op's original post, we discovered the solution to the final problem (games not showing and not loading) over Discord, and it was that the drive was setup with GUID Partion map and changing the drive to use MBR and have one partion fixed it. The OP said that things are working flawlessly now incase anyone has this same issue.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Rega being one of those who reuse Audio Technica's products by rebranding them with their own...