D2CKey - Super Mario Sunshine - white screen?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by lixoman100, Oct 17, 2008.

Oct 17, 2008
  1. lixoman100
    OP

Newcomer lixoman100 Member

Brazil
    Hello there,

I recently acquired a GC controller and memory card and went to play some Super Mario Sunshine on my Wii with a D2CKey (NTSC).
    Everything seems to be working fine until I got to chapter 4 of Bianco Hills, "Red Coins of Windmill Village". When I select that level, the screen fades to white, the dvd does some loading noises (as usual) and then it hangs on the white screen and I have to turn off the Wii.

I have only seens this happen on this level, but I haven't tried any others since I hit this one. I played around 7 other levels with no problems.

I tried the RARE release and the SAVEPOINT one, re-downloaded one of them, tried them on several different medias including an DVD-RW (that works flawlessly except for that level). I have no problem with Wii games unless it is a poor quality media. I don't think there is a problem with my lens since I can play SSBB on a Ricoh DL.

Right now all I can think of is trying some different medias or maybe even try one of those smaller DVDs.

Anyone has any ideas on what causes this or what can I do to solve this problem?

Thanks.

2. Sonicandtails

Member Sonicandtails GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Is it burned to a multi-disc?

3. lixoman100
    OP

Brazil
    No, I don't even know how to record those. I suppose burning the .gcm/.iso as-is to the disc is better for compatibility, correct?

I just directly recorded the .gcm files for both releases using ImgBurn (tried several speeds too).

4. Sonicandtails

United States
    Try burning at 4x or below?

5. lixoman100
    OP

Brazil
    I always burn my games at either 2x or 4x, never higher. This one I even tried 1x once.

Right now I'm going to try and put it on a multi-disc (did some research about that, thanks for mentioning it). to see if it makes and difference. I added both releases I have on the same image. I'll report back on the results.

6. Sonicandtails

United States
    If it comes down to it, perhaps the drive speed is too fast/slow because of the D2Ckey. If all else fails, try turning it down/up in the settings and see what happens.

However, before worrying, I would quicker blame it on the disc itself before your Wii. Perhaps your burner has an issue writing to a certain portion of the disc. If you have any other computer in the house that can burn, attempt that next.

7. lixoman100
    OP

Brazil
    Well thanks everyone for all the replies. Right now I'm burning a multi-disc to see if that makes any difference. If that does not work I'll try different burners; tomorrow I'll try to get a different media.

By the way, is there a setting where I can change the drive speed on my D2CKey? Never saw anything regarding that.

8. Sonicandtails

United States
    If it's anything like the Wiikey, there is a configuration disc you can burn.

9. lixoman100
    OP

Brazil
    Alright, reporting back. I tried burning multi-discs with only super mario sunshine, with the same game twice and shrinking the game, the problem still happened.

I also tried burning it on a different burn (my laptop's) and a different program (Nero instead of ImgBurn) at 2.4, no change.

I'll get my hands on some different media later on and try again; if it still does not work I'll try purchasing some of those mini-DVDs. If anyone has any other ideas I'll be happy to hear them.

AFAIK there is no such thing as a configuration disk for the D2CKey, unfortunately.

10. lixoman100
    OP

Brazil
    Well I purchased some Verbatim (RITEKF1) and tried to record, botht as a standalone game and shrinked on a multidisc. The same problem still happens. I tried on 4x and on 16x.

Strage thing is, on one of my many tries that specific level loaded. I played it, completed it, then I went on to the next lavel, played a bit and exited the level without finishing it. Next time I tried to load it it failed; I then tried loading that 4th level again and it failed, and it still fails to this day.

It loaded once; it is not a broken Wii or a faulty image. I don't know what is the problem.

11. lixoman100
    OP

Brazil
    Hello. I'm now reporting back happy to inform that I have found a solution to my problem. I am leaving this here in case this might help other people who come across the same problem.

After doing more research I got to this forum post http://www.tehskeen.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1931 where they have a kit for fixing DRE. Basically, they provide an application that supposedly fixes GameCube ISOs by aligning blocks or something. The resulting image was 3gb instead of 1.5gb. I recorded it to my DVD-RW and it worked flawlessly, the level that was giving problems loaded fine.

I really hope this is helpful to someone else out there and prevents them from wasting perfectly fine media trying to narrow down this problem.