D&D games on ds?

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by dysan, Feb 25, 2010.

Feb 25, 2010

D&D games on ds? by dysan at 4:01 PM (8,774 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. dysan
    OP

Member dysan GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Greece
    does anyone know of any games that use rules that resemble the D&D rules used in pc games like "eye of the beholder" , "baldur's gate" and "neverwinter nights"?

generally I'm looking for any game that uses western-style PRG elements(with unique features like actually CREATING A CHARACTER! WOW! as well as DEVELOPING THAT CHARACTER ANY WAY YOU WANT!AWESOME!)

first person RPGs or third-person PRGs, anything's good as long as it falls under my criteria.

thanks in advance....because I KNOW you guys will probably scavenge something up [​IMG]

oh and FYI I just downloaded "mazes of fate"...looks good but haven't actually tried it yet.
    I also have "fighting fantasy" which I like.

2. Yusuky

Newcomer Yusuky Advanced Member

Brazil
    the closest to a dungeon crawler like diablo/torchlight u'll get is soma bringer, i think.

3. GhostToast

Member GhostToast GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Yea man. unfortunately I gotta agree with Yusuky. I know that you didn't ask for Diablo/Torchlight similarity, but Soma Bringer lets you really customize your character to a degree I haven't seen in any other DS RPG. It's mostly action-focused.

Actually. Just realized The Dark Spire might be to your liking. And along with that Etrian Odyssey as well. You do create your characters in those games, and it's very "dungeon crawl"y. And challenging as hell.

4. dysan
    OP

Greece
    soma bringer is on my "to play" list...still haven't gotten around to that one.

the dark spire looks promising....etrian odyssey on the other hand....I don't know.

anyone wanna add something?

5. XWolf

Member XWolf GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Ragnarok has the D&D / Neverwinter autofighting style of thing, plus clothing affects character...

A REALLY good game, sort of D&D in that it plays like a board game AND you can develop characters (also create new ones) is Disgaea DS.

I even imported this (cheaper than in UK to get from Canada!).

6. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    Fighting Fantasy is a lot like D&D....I think it might even be based on D&D rules. It's a first-person RPG, sorta like Mazes of Fate, but better. Controls a lot like Metroid Prime Hunters, but with swords, bows and magic and stuff. Don't know if you'll like it, it's got a sort of a love-it-or-hate-it reception by gamers. Personally, I thought it was pretty damn nice.....and I don't even like RPG's that much.

And you have FULL control over the leveling of your character. You get points to level up a whole mess of different characteristics. Sounds like it would be right up your alley.

You should give it a look. See if your in the "love it" or the "hate it" group.

7. tk_saturn

Member tk_saturn GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    The Desert Rocks!

8. dysan
    OP

Greece
    disgaea? isn't that a turn-based strategy like final fantasy tactics and shin megami tensei?

I haven't checked ragnarok since I didn't actually like the pc online version but I'll give that one a try as well.

9. GhostToast

Member GhostToast GBAtemp Regular

United States
    oh yea i forgot about Fighting Fantasy. That one was good. Had some weak points but definitely a solid entry, and quite original for the DS. Took me back to the PC rpg days a little bit.

Etrian Odyssey..play the second one if you do any. It's really what Dark Spire is based on, btw. But at least somewhat prettier graphics.

10. dysan
    OP

Greece
    there's a second one?I'll give that one a look as well.

what's the word on disgaea?

11. Overlord Nadrian

Banned Overlord Nadrian Banned

Belgium
    Yeah, and soon a third one as well.

And yeah, Disgaea is turn-based strategy, and it's really good. You'l love being able to make tons of new characters, each with their own strengths and weaknesses. It's quite hard if you're still a beginner thought, you really have to play it a lot to get the most out of it.