Hacking Cyclops no longer supports the iEvolution

Skream

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
As much as I love the cyclods, this is unforgivable. I will never purchase a TeamCyclops product again.

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
Team Cyclops is the XROM of the DS generation. Hope someone has been around long enough to get this.

Are there any plans to update the old reviews on the site? Like the CycloDS Revolution review still sports 100% compatibility. If it's supposed to be a historic review though I'd keep it as a memento or someday period piece.
What was wrong with the XRom? I still use it in my GBA SP and have been since 2005. :blink:
They were the best and had the highest compatibility at a time, but they stopped supporting them and soon enough there were cheaper solutions.

I like the CycloDS, but someday it'll be worth moving up.

qlum

Posting when needed
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Oh no!

The EZ Flash team will probably be next to go!
:(

R.I.P iEvolution .

Will Cyclops release the flash codes within the cart?
Don't underestimate them they may have the updates slowed to a crawl but they still seem to make sure they are compatible with the latest firmware and really considering the age of the base card the time they support it is quite remarkable. certainly longer than the amount of time smartphone manufacturers support their smartphones. Not saying its perfect but they do seem to support the thing for quite some time.

h8uthemost

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We will See TC back at the end of the 3DS Life Cycle with an 3DS Flashcart :|
Lol that would be really Crazy...

I have no doubts that we'll see them again whenever flashcarts finally start coming out for the 3DS. They'll release their own, and a lot of people will gladly buy them up. And then the team will disappear again...

RchUncleSkeleton

Skeletron 9000
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Anyway Both M3 and Cyclops dead.. lol
At least all of the pre-z003 M3's are being sustained through RetroGameFan's updates and it still keeps the cart in working order with the latest games.

It seems the only way for a cart to stay alive, other than the major exception of the Supercard DS TWO, is to be updated by a 3rd party. Whether it be RGF or AKAIO many carts that still work only do so thanks to the 3rd party.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's really a shame. This card did have a fair chunk of potential, given it had a (currently) unique feature of being able to boot in DSi mode. I wonder if any other cards will come out that may be able to do so better?

Looking back, makes me relieved I chose the DStwo instead of this... but that doesn't mean I didn't still want the iEvo... oh well.

Reactions: Margen67

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
Anyway Both M3 and Cyclops dead.. lol
At least all of the pre-z003 M3's are being sustained through RetroGameFan's updates and it still keeps the cart in working order with the latest games.

It seems the only way for a cart to stay alive, other than the major exception of the Supercard DS TWO, is to be updated by a 3rd party. Whether it be RGF or AKAIO many carts that still work only do so thanks to the 3rd party.
Team Cyclops should release the source codes so we can at least try to port Wood to it.

impizkit

Lazy Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
Why the fuck would you want wood on the CycloDS? The native GUI on the cyclo is so much better. If the source was released, we could at least get more features and game fixes. But no, lets port something with fewer features. Nothing against Wood, just this stupid idea. I love wood and use my WoodR4 often.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Guess who's laughing now ;)

Hint: Not us folk who bought into the Evolution..... :(

I have an Evolution and this doesn't even bother me. It lasted through my regular DS usage and still works perfectly, and I barely use my DS at all anymore. For me, it did just what I wanted and still does on the occasions I use it. If the team aren't coming back, it's not the end of the world because it was in my opinion the best card to get when I needed it. With the eighth generation in its infancy with the release of the 3DS and PS Vita, I feel content with moving on.

That said, chronologically my account on their forum is older than this one, but it's too bad that when their database went they had only a backup from the start of 2009, so virtually all of my content had been lost. Certainly after that it felt like activity on there dwindled.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Guess who's laughing now ;)

Hint: Not us folk who bought into the Evolution..... :(

I have an Evolution and this doesn't even bother me. It lasted through my regular DS usage and still works perfectly, and I barely use my DS at all anymore. For me, it did just what I wanted and still does on the occasions I use it. If the team aren't coming back, it's not the end of the world because it was in my opinion the best card to get when I needed it. With the eighth generation in its infancy with the release of the 3DS and PS Vita, I feel content with moving on.

That said, chronologically my account on their forum is older than this one, but it's too bad that when their database went they had only a backup from the start of 2009, so virtually all of my content had been lost. Certainly after that it felt like activity on there dwindled.
I agree. Each team has its moments of glory.

The R4's gang created the first card that wasn't physically painful to use. The Acekard guys created the first card which actually worked as it was supposed to with a fantastic menu and great compatibility. Cyclops created probably the most high-quality card to date, moreover, they also released the only card that boots in DSi-Mode. Supercard team released the first card that implements external CPU and RAM and actually uses them correctly.

Out of all those teams, only Supercard actually deals with day-to-day support. Even Acekards would be dead by now if not for Scene support in form of AKAIO. ;) The Acekard team limits its updates to "crucial ones", aka, "new firmware that blocks the card was released" and usually does it late.

Let's face it - the DS era has passed. It was a glorious one, but it's time to give it a rest and focus on something else. Keeping on supporting those products will just cost the teams more time and effort which they could just as well spend on looking for exploits in the 3DS or the Vita.

Reactions: 1 person

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I remember when I was first looking into flashcards and first saw the expensive DS-X. A while after that, I saw the R4, then some time after that I came across the CycloDS and got that. Of course, by the time I'd seen the R4 I think the DS-X was already falling out of favour, and the feature list of the Evo certainly made the R4 look inferior too.

Look where you are now: The DS-X is now fairly notorious, the original R4 has become so rare it's practically impossible to find, except possible 1:1 clones, and now finally the Evolution (and iEvolution) has bowed out. The difference is that the feature list of the Evolution still surpassed the others and is still a very functional device, save for possible very late game incompatibilities. Admittedly, the iEvolution had less of an opportunity to prove itself, but the Evolution had a long and fruitful run, and that counts as a success as far as I'm concerned.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
what you have to remember is that akaio is the official kernel of the acekard. acekard shut down their own kernel productions in favor of support for normmatt and smiths. there is an important distinction that some seem to never remember, akaio is no longer an extension-hack of the first opensource kernel.

the ievo exploit was flawed from the start. the software issues could have been better developed. even without wifi, if the ds-compatibility layers functioned then the card would be pretty sweet. i still say the ievo is well worth using if just for the handful of dsi-mode homebrew (thanks to the homebrew bounty). if the ievo had been introduced at a normal price (and not a typical cyclops price) then we probably would have seen a short life extension of ds homebrew. sadly, they gave out few free cards (i know, i tried to help a ton of devs get samples). the rest were left with paying $50 for a card that did little else, meaning no one would really buy it just for their homebrew project. it is possible that if sites drop the price that there could be a short homebrew boom. however, i have no idea what cyclops set the cost of the card, the lowest price might be something like $30, and even that is way to high just for dsi-mode homebrew.

i still wish wintermute would complete his idea of making a homebrew only flash kit. something affordable that works in ds-mode and dsi-mode.

-another world

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
And? The R4 and DSTT had horrendous game compatibility and horribly lacking firmware updates and almost no team development support when Nintendo started putting AP on their games. When people wanted to play games without them crashing, they bought the CycloDS Evolution. Interfaces are meaningless, at least Team Cyclops offered a product that worked, and would have continued to work had Nintendo not ever created the DSi, and the only reason they did that was because of the rampant game piracy due to cards like the R4 becoming so easily accessible and affordable despite being pure garbage.

All I ever have cared about was playing games the interface of something that I see for 60 seconds before I boot up a game is absolutely meaningless.
R4 and DSTT had great game compatability at the time, and right now are getting updates via R4 Wood (certain models at least, the majority of clones are still fucked). The CycloDS was always advertised as being some kinda end-all, but really was a disappointment to anyone who knew any better. Personally I have almost every single flashcart released since 2008, with the exception of Neoflash's R6 Gold, and Cyclops's iEvo -- and can personally confirm that the CycloDS does not, and did not outperform anything else. Compatability fixes and features were stolen from Team SuperCard, and by late 2009, a lot of other carts had similar functionality and compatability rates for much cheaper (e.g. EZ Flash V, M3DS Real).
With CycloDS, it was never about the cart quality. It was just an expensive brand people bought into. This is pure opinion, of course, but there was genuinely nothing legitimately better with their products (other than word-of-mouth advertising, and English-speaking forums I suppose).

EDIT: Once upon a time, a lack of research resulted in me buying both a CycloDS Evolution and an R4 Revolution (Also a Datel Games 'n Music, but we won't go there >_>). Then after I actually got into the world of NDS hacking, I learnt about my mistakes, and quickly rectified them with an M3 Real (and shortly afterwards, an Acekard 2). As a result, I see anyone defending Team Cyclops as being in that former, naieve stage. (Poorly researched, baseless, opinionated and a suffering from a major case of buyer's denial).

I agree. Each team has its moments of glory.

The R4's gang created the first card that wasn't physically painful to use. The Acekard guys created the first card which actually worked as it was supposed to with a fantastic menu and great compatibility. Cyclops created probably the most high-quality card to date, moreover, they also released the only card that boots in DSi-Mode. Supercard team released the first card that implements external CPU and RAM and actually uses them correctly.

Out of all those teams, only Supercard actually deals with day-to-day support. Even Acekards would be dead by now if not for Scene support in form of AKAIO. ;) The Acekard team limits its updates to "crucial ones", aka, "new firmware that blocks the card was released" and usually does it late.

Let's face it - the DS era has passed. It was a glorious one, but it's time to give it a rest and focus on something else. Keeping on supporting those products will just cost the teams more time and effort which they could just as well spend on looking for exploits in the 3DS or the Vita.
I didn't say that they weren't successful, although I did imply that they didn't deserve any success.

Additionally please see Another World's post, situtated directly above this one.

MushGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's a topic about trying to crack the Cyclo. If we could gather more interested people, maybe a new firmware could be made. A Wood port would be good, too:

http://www.teamcyclops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11321

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
For what it's worth, Team Cyclops has renewed their mainpage domain on september 18th. This proves that someone is still there. But the forum domain hasn't been renewed yet and will expire by end of today.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: This movie rip so werid has 1080p quality but the audios ripped with movie theater audio quality