CycloDS iEvolution - Possibly Defective?

Discussion in 'CycloDS' started by Grimspoon, Feb 16, 2011.

Feb 16, 2011
  1. Grimspoon
    OP

Newcomer Grimspoon Newbie

Canada
    I just received my new unit yesterday and proceeded to set it up without any problems. After several hours of use I have encountered a few issues across a couple different games and microSDHC cards. Here's the issue:

The microSDHC I initially purchased for this unit is an 8GB Lexar Class 6 card. Most of the games I tried started without problem until I tried Chrono Trigger / Inazuma Eleven / Golden Sun.

- Golden Sun would show a black screen a couple moments after entering my player name.

- Inazuma Eleven would freeze in movement / game play shortly after starting the game while the music continued to play.

- Chrono Trigger would occasionally black screen while loading into the save game menu or it would freeze completely while it was saving, resulting in corrupt save data.

I formatted my card using the Panasonic format tool and reloaded the bootstrap and firmware several times. The problems persisted except for Golden Sun, which I discovered would boot up and play normally (as far as I could tell) if I loaded the unit into it's DSi Capable mode. Doing this didn't have any affect on the other games however.

I looked it up across a few different sites and concluded that it was possible that my Lexar microSDHC was possibly too low quality / slow to handle the tasks set before it. So I went to the nearest electronics store and bought a Kingston brand 4GB class 4 microSDHC to try as an alternative. From what I've read online Kingston is regarded as a better quality brand and hoped it would solve my issues.

From what I've seen it solved the problems with Inazuma Eleven and Golden Sun but the same problems persist with Chrono trigger, primarily the game freezing while I attempt to save. I even tried the Japanese release of the game as suggested by some other comments made online but this didn't solve the game freezing.

The only other game I've been playing besides trying those was The Great Giana Sisters, which hasn't had a single issue so far.

I'm not sure what to make of the situation at this point. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

2. GH0ST

Member GH0ST Your Hero is a Ghost

France
    It looks related to Chrono Trigger AP ( freeze on save ) only and previously to your microcard. Perhaps a possible regression since it was fixed with firmware 1.51

3. Grimspoon
    OP

Newcomer Grimspoon Newbie

Canada
    You mean to try an older firmware release?

Edit: I ran a chkdsk on my newer microSDHC (as this is the one I'll be attempting to rely on from this point forward) and it returned zero errors.

4. GH0ST

Member GH0ST Your Hero is a Ghost

France
    No since older firmares were for the old CycloDS. Some regressions were fixed for old games with latest one so it is possible some games need another fix.

Did you try to launch your game again with no existing save ?