CyanogenMod has stopped supporting Samsung devices

Discussion in 'Android' started by Just Another Gamer, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Just Another Gamer
    OP

Member Just Another Gamer 星空のメモリア-Wish upon a shooting star- Fanboy

Australia
    Well from the news I found on XDA CyanogenMod won't be on any of the new Samsung devices mainly because the FM radio never works and require 3rd party apps to get them to work although this seems to be a problem since the S2 from comments I read, the Exynos chip which I assume will be in all newer Samsung devices and on JB the Vsync and triple buffering doesn't work which i'm not sure if this is a problem with the device or JB in general.

Current devices will still get official CM support while any newer ones won't be unfortunately, from what was read Samsung is taking this seriously but honestly I doubt it since I don't think they about it or not since they usually want to concentrate on making new devices not supporting their current ones or what the dev community does.

Source: http://tweakers.net/...en-stoppen.html
    Its in Dutch but here is the translated article for you.

2. BORTZ

Global Moderator BORTZ wtf, nintendo

United States
    Huh. Well good thing i dont plan on owning a Samsung in the future. I would be disappointed.

3. Just Another Gamer
    OP

Australia
    Well its a good thing that my next phone is probably the S3 so it'll still be getting CM support otherwise i'll just switch to HTC.

4. Mario92

Member Mario92 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Finland
    Samsung has their own system for their software (touchwiz) and they are pushing more innovations than Nokia did while back. Prime examples are Note and Beam. I own note and been waiting for decent custom ROM to pop up but haven't found one which actually works like it should.
    Samsung makes really good hardware but software has always been shitty for them. Why doesn't manufacturers realise that phones are just like computers. Some people are fine with OS which came with it with all bloatware and some people want to install Linux to it. That doesn't change the fact that both are going to eventually get new one. Instead on phone market they are pushing back updates and hiding their stuff just so that they can market their new stuff better and THIS is exactly what happened when S3 was coming they postponed 4.0 update really long time for S2 and Note!
    You can't say Samsung is only one. ZTE seems to be best bet as there are least problems with it but they sell mostly cheapest stuff.

5. ProtoKun7

Global Moderator ProtoKun7 GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 3

United Kingdom
    Considering that Samsung sent the developers S IIs last year with the hope of getting CyanogenMod on it...I guess it's ashame for them on that front. My next phone will most likely be a Nexus anyway, so that won't be a problem for me.

6. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    As I understand, the S II does have CM, and will continue to CM for the immediate future. It's just future Samsung phones that won't, because of design choices made by Samsung according to my reading of the article. If Samsung want to continue to get CM support on their phones, they can always switch to CM dev friendly hardware again. It's not like they're paying for CM ROMs on their devices, they can't expect anything, really. Whatever they do get is a gift to be accepted gratefully, and if they want to keep that going, it's up to them to make it easy.

7. ProtoKun7

United Kingdom
    I know they do; I'm running CM10 nightlies on my own S II, but the fact that they were willing to send them to the team means they expressed interest. Taking that into account, the fact that they will be unsupported in the future unless they make changes is what I was talking about.

8. Just Another Gamer
    OP

Australia
    Well the actual problem is Samsung doesn't give any of the code or anything to CM or make them open source so devs can use them in making the custom firmware so even if Samsung does want CM support then then best decision would be to release the documentation for their phones so creating custom firmware for them would be easier instead of just sending a new phone.

9. ProtoKun7

United Kingdom
    I realise that, so Samsung has to make changes if they're keen to have support.

10. AlanJohn

Member AlanJohn くたばれ

Ukraine
    Well, that's a shame really.
    Still happy with CM10 on my Gnex :D

11. Just Another Gamer
    OP

Australia
    Doubt it. I mean CM does this for free and Samsung doesn't really get anymore money off this so its doesn't seem like they would make this a big deal since the majority of the market aren't into or even know about rooting their phone and flashing custom firmware.

12. ProtoKun7

United Kingdom
    I wasn't actually saying they would; I was talking hypothetically.

13. Just Another Gamer
    OP

Australia
    Ah. Well all this is just speculating until more news about this comes out.