Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
The United States doesn't do custom fees right? Because I had bought stuff from Japan, China, UK, and never had payed any custom fees.

IIRC, individuals in the US aren't required to pay any duties unless the value of whatever you're buying is over $200, hence why buying small stuff from overseas and such is "cheap".

Reactions: Madridi

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I've never had such tax faggotry in anything I've ordered from overseas... Just show them the invoice from the order, and they will recalculate that for you.

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
IIRC, individuals in the US aren't required to pay any duties unless the value of whatever you're buying is over $200, hence why buying small stuff from overseas and such is "cheap".
Over here, it's above approx $800 .. Nice to know where the US stands on this.

goemon_guy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks to everyone who input their thoughts.

It has happened for a few Canadian 'tempers in the past that have ordered things, more often tools and other such things but this is pretty close to that. Typically it was resolved by bringing a bank statement or equivalent (how this works with Paypal around you remains to be seen -- Paypal seems to resist being a proper money company unless local laws force them to be) to them and saying "look at this, this is what it was and I would appreciate you revising your figures a bit".

I'm not sure I follow. What should I do to prove that the 'value' of the item that I paid is much less than their assessment?
I paid for the items with Paypal, but is it enough to include a printed receipt or something from Paypal, and send it as 'supporting documents,' in addition to filling out the small form they offer?

Sorry if I'm asking the obvious, but I've just never had this happen, and definitely want things to go as smoothly as possible.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That I do not know. The other times this happened people had the option for using credit card or bank statements. A paypal thing can say whatever you like on the other hand, sure I could probably fake a bank statement with a long afternoon but

If the paypal happens to be tied to a credit card or similar then perhaps that as further supporting evidence.

The fact remains when this has happened in the past to people in Canada that if people have been able to prove what they paid for an item/items that they have been able to get things adjusted. I am not sure what the level of proof needed, especially as it has been a few years since last time and a few years in customs world is enough to render what you knew enough to hang you, is but it has happened.

cinhomartins

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
What bowser said...
You'll probably have to prove how much the itens are worth, so stick to the value you can demonstrate.

goemon_guy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah, show them your invoice and bank transaction and ask for a reassessment.

But I don't have a bank transaction record, as it went through Paypal.
Sure, my bank account is tied to Paypal, but I imagine pulling up my transaction history would simply describe the transaction as 'money exported to Paypal' or something similar.
Would this be enough, or does it need to be specific down to the last detail?

This is the last thing I need before I can send a refund request.

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
But I don't have a bank transaction record, as it went through Paypal.
Sure, my bank account is tied to Paypal, but I imagine pulling up my transaction history would simply describe the transaction as 'money exported to Paypal' or something similar.
Would this be enough, or does it need to be specific down to the last detail?

This is the last thing I need before I can send a refund request.
You could probably do that in addition of showing paypal's invoice to show what the money "exported to paypal" was used for.

goemon_guy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Alright then.
One final question: should my value include shipping costs or not, because Paypal will only show the total with shipping.

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
It doesn't seem like there is an exact procedure for this. So just get all the evidence you can get, with shipping or without, to support your case

And good luck :)

goemon_guy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Coming back to this almost two months later, I figured I should update my situation.

After all this mess occurred, I sent in a form found on the government website, and included the Paypal and eBay invoices for my items, along with my request of refund of taxes on the overestimate and they sent me the difference (around $120 or something) as a cheque a month and a half later, only charging me tax on the original price in the end.
At least they were able to acknowledge their mistake, and hopefully if anyone else runs into this issue, they decide to take similar action against it.

Reactions: Madridi

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol