Custom Gameboy?

Discussion in 'Other Handhelds' started by LiveLatios, May 13, 2016.

1. LiveLatios
    OP

LiveLatios Profesionnal Scalie

Nov 16, 2015
    Canada
    why
    so the whole point of this thread is... has anyone opened an original DMG gameboy, took the internals out, put in the ones of a gameboy color, then installed a backlight/frontlight? and how hard would that be?

2. Boured

Boured The most perverted furry

GBAtemp Patron
    Boured is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 25, 2015
    United States
    Wherever I log in at ^w^
    I'm no expert in hardmodding or anything, but I guess it is possible. Though given the GameBrick has a large shell and the GBC has a small shell you might have moving internals unless you have a way to keep them in place. Other than that It wouldn't be that hard as it is a matter of just swapping parts and giving a light to it.

3. DS64

DS64 GBAtemp Regular

May 16, 2007
    United States
    I guess it could be done, I have not done it personally. I have hard modded my gameboy pocket with a backlight though, you can even change the color by adding a dipswitch on some of them, you also can up the volume,have better speakers, even bivert the screen which increases the contrast. Fairly easy to do with the tutorials out there. A lot of crazy mods I have seen on the dmg, gbp and gbc. Some of them are really works of art.

Last edited by DS64, Aug 11, 2016
  4. Monty Kensicle

Monty Kensicle Yay!

Aug 4, 2008
    United States
    Commonwealth of Virginia
    As someone who mods games systems for money, your request can be done but it's quite time consuming to mount the guts of one handheld into the shell of another. Also the GBC's LCD can only be frontlit due do how it's constructed.

5. leerz

leerz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 11, 2015
    Makati