Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
673162main_malin-4-673.jpg

This just in: NASA's rover Curiosity has managed to land safely on the surface of Mars.
icon11.gif
NASA (This page should also have continuing updates if you'd like to keep up with the mission)

For the next two years, the craft will be exploring the surface of the red plant, studying its surface for some (hopefully) tantalizing discoveries. Specifically, NASA's scientists are hoping to find some evidence of life (likely ancient bacteria) in the Martian soil. This would provide the first conclusive proof of extraterrestrial life in the universe. Fingers crossed, everyone; this could be big.
icon11.gif
Mercury News

(NASA should be releasing some images from the rover at some point. I'll be sure to post them when I find them.)

Reactions: 17 people

Phoenix Goddess

The Ninja's Protégée
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mthr and I spoke about this. This is a huge step in history. Life is changing, because of this. As Neil deGrasse Tyson said, we stopped dreaming. I hope this gives people the passion for space exploration, again.

I'll admit, I cheered like a child when Curiosity landed on Mars.
Can't really say I want to watch a silly show on tv, again. More Discovery Science Channel for me :toot:

Reactions: 3 people

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Curiosity killed the cat. Do we really want something like that looking for other life?

:P

Pretty cool actually. One step closer to bio domes on Mars.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
The only thing I worry about, is if something truly incredible is discovered from this mission, the Government will hoard it away in their vast information vaults, far from the prying eyes of the public.

Reactions: 4 people

Izen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never really got the hype about life on Mars. The universe is insanely vast, and I guess I always assumed it was so vast that there couldn't possibly not be life elsewhere. Trillions and trillions of stars in the universe, a sizable percentage of which have solar systems all their own. We've found quite a few earth-like planets out there, already. I just don't get it, I guess. Maybe there's something I'm missing, or maybe people just need cold, hard, solid evidence?

It's great that things are happening in space again. It shows me that there's still enough desire for knowledge of the currently unknown for us to launch a robot at another planet, a sentiment I could have dolled up with fancy adjectives, but we freakin' shot a robot at another planet. That's just awesome.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
I never really got the hype about life on Mars. The universe is insanely vast, and I guess I always assumed it was so vast that there couldn't possibly not be life elsewhere. Trillions and trillions of stars in the universe, a sizable percentage of which have solar systems all their own. We've found quite a few earth-like planets out there, already. I just don't get it, I guess. Maybe there's something I'm missing, or maybe people just need cold, hard, solid evidence?

It's great that things are happening in space again. It shows me that there's still enough desire for knowledge of the currently unknown for us to launch a robot at another planet, a sentiment I could have dolled up with fancy adjectives, but we freakin' shot a robot at another planet. That's just awesome.

You answered your own question.

Reactions: 1 person

EyeZ

Trophies
XP
These people are amazing who design these robotic machines and gets them to their destination, the amount af variables that could go wrong on the mission.....truly astounding!

Reactions: 2 people

mameks

in memoriam of gravitas
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yays, even if they don't actually find anything this is still really exciting :D
Higgs Boson particles and proper Rovers on Mars?
We're doing well :toot:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up