• Cryptocurrency Warning:
    The risks of trading cryptocurrencies are mainly related to its volatility. They are high-risk and speculative and it is important that you understand the risks before you start trading. They are volatile: unexpected changes in market sentiment can lead to sharp and sudden moves in price.
    Please be aware that any information provided here can be the opinion of the author. Trade at your own risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crypto-Currency Ethereum Wallet Gets Hacked

Following recent crypto-currency news, the popular currency known as Ethereum has been driving up GPU prices and demolishing availability, has been hacked. An estimated 153,000 "Ether" has been stolen, with estimates at a value of 32.6 million US dollars.

"The initWallet function should have been marked internal, but was instead not marked. Unmarked functions default to public in Solidity, so anyone can call that function and reinitialize the wallet to be under their control"

Will this be the down-fall of Ethereum? Will we see a sudden surge of cheap, high end GPU's on the markets? One can only hope!

Read more about the wallet hack here.

Todderbert

Korg Fanboy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not really. Copper is better and considerably less dense. Gold just does not corrode that easily so it is OK for coating connectors.

I will give that unlike diamonds and the purity fetish there it is not without practical uses, however they are not so many. It is harder to imagine what it might be used for were it as common as brick and steel but its mechanical properties are known and they are not great.

I'm not sure but it sure looks good sitting there doing nothing.B-)

The James Webb telescope utilized a few ounces of the stuff on its mirrors to help with IR sensitivty. Science applications abound..but mainly its for show(ask my wife) and investment. Oh and Gold is that "forever" metal. I just love when they pull gold coins out of the ocean looking brand new after sitting in salt water for three hundred plus years.

Last edited by Todderbert,

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Big companies like mining too. There went your GPU. Anyway, I do not support crypto-currency but I do support a silver/gold standard system.

bKYUml8.jpg
This is the exact reason everyone is so pissed. Not only that, some company pair 8 cards with one i3 on PCIe * 1.
It's pretty good at being conductive
And anti-corrosion. Those things can survive almost any non-synthetic acid. The best common material is silver for conductor.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I'm not sure but it sure looks good sitting there doing nothing.B-)

The James Webb telescope utilized a few ounces of the stuff on its mirrors to help with IR sensitivty. Science applications abound..but mainly its for show(ask my wife) and investment. Oh and Gold is that "forever" metal. I just love when they pull gold coins out of the ocean looking brand new after sitting in salt water for three hundred plus years.

I wonder if they can survive a minute of low velocity proton beam.

Last edited by Yil,

atomsk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Following recent crypto-currency news, the popular currency known as Ethereum has been driving up GPU prices and demolishing availability, has been hacked. An estimated 153,000 "Ether" has been stolen, with estimates at a value of 32.6 million US dollars.

"The initWallet function should have been marked internal, but was instead not marked. Unmarked functions default to public in Solidity, so anyone can call that function and reinitialize the wallet to be under their control"

Will this be the down-fall of Ethereum? Will we see a sudden surge of cheap, high end GPU's on the markets? One can only hope!

Read more about the wallet hack here.

Wouldn't particularly call it that much of a hack. So many things wrong with the person who fell for a phishing scam and using a bad password. This is why you use a password manager either (offline/online).

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wouldn't particularly call it that much of a hack. So many things wrong with the person who fell for a phishing scam and using a bad password. This is why you use a password manager either (offline/online).
I read the report. Did not seem like a phishing (spear or otherwise) scam was involved.
This appeared to be a developers did not fully understand their compiler/framework and (hopefully) unintentionally introduced a bug which got found and exploited. You would struggle to get a more classic example of a hack than that.

Slartibartfast42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just because a wallet was hacked doesn't make the currency worthless. Even more importantly, even if the currency became worthless, it doesn't mean a dump of GPUs.That's ridiculous. The owners of the GPUs will just mine some other cryptocurrency. There's an unlimited amount of crypto currencies. All it takes for any one to become valuable is for people to agree on which one. That's it. Then they'd be back in business.

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@FAST6191 Actually Chinese govervment will punish it legally since it involves untrackable movement of currency, commonly related to corruption. And China is responsible for over 60% of mining and transfer.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@FAST6191 Actually Chinese govervment will punish it legally since it involves untrackable movement of currency, commonly related to corruption. And China is responsible for over 60% of mining and transfer.
I am sure some third world totalitarian shithole banned it for similar reasons. I agree from a systems perspective that China doing whatever is an interesting concept, if for no other reason than as you say the volume of mining and transfer attributable to those within their borders. With that said though it is China, we can go two ways from here and 1) look at all the ridiculous things banned by them (more recently I suppose we have that Winnie the Pooh film, not because of any vaguely "it is pro Tibet" thing like many in the past but because some outside people posted some silly images) or 2) how free in general the country is (hint: it isn't).
Come back when there is a widespread or series of independent movements in Europe, the US, the (former) British commonwealth, South Korea and such.

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I am sure some third world totalitarian shithole banned it for similar reasons. I agree from a systems perspective that China doing whatever is an interesting concept, if for no other reason than as you say the volume of mining and transfer attributable to those within their borders. With that said though it is China, we can go two ways from here and 1) look at all the ridiculous things banned by them (more recently I suppose we have that Winnie the Pooh film, not because of any vaguely "it is pro Tibet" thing like many in the past but because some outside people posted some silly images) or 2) how free in general the country is (hint: it isn't).
Come back when there is a widespread or series of independent movements in Europe, the US, the (former) British commonwealth, South Korea and such.
True, but the government's capacity for genocide means we don't have to worry as much about safety.
And 1) China could actually be involved in this event, or even the one managing it. It could be for collecting evidence. And belueve it or not the end of a great chain of events could impact US economy in turn the rest of the world.
2) The transfer could be a major contributer to flucuation on cryptocurrency, and not by mining. An average mayor have access to between two million to 150 million dollars worth of corruption related wealth, approprited from taxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Ok good chatting, I'm off to the bar, to shoot some pool, nighty night. +1