Cross Edge preview

twisteddeeds

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
custom_1241818538754_Morrigan.jpg

Cross Edge is the ultimate fan service game where characters from Capcom, Gust, Namco Bandai, Idea Factory and Nippon Ichi all collide in an epic turn-based role-playing game.

This means we get all kinds of characters from the cute to the scary and the fugly to the sexy. Pictured here is Morrigan from Capcom's Darkstalkers (among other 2D fighting games) who is both sexy and scary.

Sadly, I didn't get to see her for myself in the 25 minutes I spent playing the game at last night's NIS press event. As a matter of fact, I can't say that I saw nearly enough to get a good feel for the game – but what I saw looked like old school RPG with a layer of sexy on top.

Cross Edge is a "classic" RPG in that there are a lot of gameplay throwbacks to many of the franchises from which it borrows characters. The brief taste I got of the game were mostly combat encounters on a 2D plane where you could angle the camera with the right analog stick to create a 3D angle. Battles occur by random encounter with the agility stat determining who goes first and AP determining what moves your characters could use.

There were four characters in my party (none of whom I recognized immediately, but I missed out on Ar Tonelico and Mana Khemia) each with their own AP gauge. I could cycle through the characters with L1 and R1, which came in handy whenever a chain attack between multiple characters became possible. Once a character ran out of AP, the only way to replenish was to end the turn either through the start menu or with the right analog stick shortcut I eventually discovered. You could also score AP by breaking the enemy's guard with special moves.

I was totally sucked in at this point and only noticed that the journalist next to me had triggered a Morrigan cut scene when some lookers-on started catcalling the screen. I thought they were being silly ‘til I got at look her bust line. Turn-based combat? I bet she can't eat a sandwich without falling out!

Cross Edge was supposed to ship this March, but it slipped to a late May release. Just as well – an epic game like this will require epic amounts of time that only the summer can provide.

GALLERY HERE

source

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: oh cool, I saw Space Invaders on that Nintendo Syl :D