Kyoji

ウッーウッーウマ
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you want to improve drawing technique, start with the basics.

Start by spending some time doing some blind contour drawings. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_contour_drawing)
The principle behind this is simple. Humans recognize objects in two ways: by seeing it, and by identifying defining shapes that make up that object. Take a bowl, for instance.
bowl1.jpg

We can see this is a bowl. This is a perceptual drawing of a bowl, what it looks like when I see it.
bowl2.jpg

This is a conceptual drawing of a bowl, the basic elements of a bowl put together. Notice how you can still recognize its a bowl even though there is no perspective to it, but it looks, for lack of a better term, retarded.

Blind contour helps you see things and draw them perceptually, not conceptually. As you get better, and your skills of observation get better, more and more can be accurately drawn from memory. Don't expect to be able to bust out figure drawings from memory after a few hours of practice though.

The biggest problem with straight referencing material is that you are just copying; you might as well just stick the source picture into a photocopier and call it a day. Referencing comes in handy when you are trying to learn a new technique, or are trying to stylize a certain object or picture.

If you want to draw people, get out there and draw people from observation. Make "notes" as to how certain areas look in relation to others. The first step in drawing a stylized version of anything (ie, all illustration) is familiarizing yourself with the subject. I guess it all just boils down to this: if you want to get better at drawing, get better at seeing and plotting and interpreting what you see.

Hitto

MKDS Tournament Winner
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
Not sure I entirely agree with that, I mean direct copying other images is a good place to start to pick up skills but it can only get you so far. I've got a friend who's absolutely amazing at copying stuff, put an illustrated book in front of her and she could replicate pretty much anything in it. But try to get her to draw a person and she's hopeless.

Copying's fine for working out new ways to use media and shading techniques, but if you're just carbon-copying pictures it can't teach you perspective, compostition, anatomy or colour theory. (I suppose using references is a form of copying, using parts of another image to help you with sections of yours in which case yes that is rather useful)

Yes, using reference can be considered a form of copying; Everything is copying anyway because if you're doing non-abstract or non-scifi (and I mean cthulu-level shit, not humanoid aliens), it's always easier to just use reference work and, from there, add your *own* touch. The basic idea is that one shape, copied enough, becomes a muscle reflex. And big deal if your friend can't draw "out of thin air" ! I regularily have tons of reference books and images lying around, and when I have a problem, pick one up, look at it for a few seconds, go "aaah, I get it now", and go back to work. Tell your friend she shouldn't feel so hopeless about it!

Blind contour drawing is good, too. But hard to do *well*.

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
Is who the same person? (there's a lot of people posting in here). dota-allstars is registered members only so I can't look.

Myke

so tasty!
OP
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Hitto- I did this tutorial like a year ago, I appreciate all the comments on it,
I'm already making a living doing art. I'm a tattoo artist and rock poster illustrator...I just did a poster for Cypress hill last week.

@blade85, iif you could direct me to that forum post on that site I would greatly appreciate it, since I gave them no permission to use it.

thanks

blueskies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i cant see any user posted images why is thatÂ
unsure.gif

probably because he posted them like 2 years ago and they're gone now.

Weird, I was just thinking about Myke's art, and how I used to check out his DA site. I fucking love his style. Anyone know (maybe myke himself if he's still around) if he has a website with any new art?

Myke

so tasty!
OP
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
blueskies said:
i cant see any user posted images why is that 
unsure.gif

probably because he posted them like 2 years ago and they're gone now.

Weird, I was just thinking about Myke's art, and how I used to check out his DA site. I fucking love his style. Anyone know (maybe myke himself if he's still around) if he has a website with any new art?

thanks for the kind words. Yeah this thing is over 2 years old. shit I'm surprised this thing's still up actually. I don't even remember where I hosted the images. Sorry I have been very busy with my work lately. I'm expecting to make a comeback on DA soon. Not sure when but soon.
hope you guys are doing well.

Site & Scene News

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.