• Total voters

Baggy Scraggy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
smash-ball-burning_grande.jpg

As the title says, I'm creating a music hack that I will later distribute on "that site" after getting enough input. This is a community effort and I would like to get your input on what songs you'd like to see in the hack.

More details and where you can submit your responses can be found here: http://goo.gl/forms/UNXfvYCinR

If you have any recommendations or questions, please let me know.

This is an experiment, so I'm hoping it won't be too chaotic.

There is a video of an edit I made for myself showing the edit in action, as well as the ability to go, and play online.

(If there is a tool that allows the editing of in-game text, please let me know. It would improve the overall appearance of the edit greatly if I were able to modify the song names within the game.)

Last edited by Baggy Scraggy,

gridatttack

Trophies
XP
Country
El Salvador
Sorry to not provide much for the topic at hand, but I have to wonder, is there a tutorial or something on how to unpack and repack the smash rom?
I was going to use custom music with HANS, until I found out that smash 3ds doesn't work with HANS on the older models.

Figured I might as well do this the hard way of modifying the rom directly, since I already have all the music replacement tailored to my liking.

Well, in any case, to add something on topic, how about this song for the Fzero stage?
http://www.smashcustommusic.com/65879

Baggy Scraggy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry to not provide much for the topic at hand, but I have to wonder, is there a tutorial or something on how to unpack and repack the smash rom?
I was going to use custom music with HANS, until I found out that smash 3ds doesn't work with HANS on the older models.

Figured I might as well do this the hard way of modifying the rom directly, since I already have all the music replacement tailored to my liking.

Well, in any case, to add something on topic, how about this song for the Fzero stage?
http://www.smashcustommusic.com/65879

What I do is I use decrypt9 to decrypt Smash 3DS .3ds (I found that only clean copies work with modification), and from there I extract and edit the romfs folder and then repack the rom again as a .3ds file. From what I can tell, as long as the song you are adding has the same name as an existing one and file type, and you replace it, it will effectively replace that song within the game. I've tested this with both Pokemon Omega Ruby and Smash.

From there I convert it to a CIA file and it installs just fine. You can also extract the save file and edit it if you see fit.

Last edited by Baggy Scraggy,

gridatttack

Trophies
XP
Country
El Salvador
What I do is I use decrypt9 to decrypt Smash 3DS .3ds (I found that only clean copies work with modification), and from there I extract and edit the romfs folder and then repack the rom again as a .3ds file. From what I can tell, as long as the song you are adding has the same name as an existing one and file type, and you replace it, it will effectively replace that song within the game. I've tested this with both Pokemon Omega Ruby and Smash.

From there I convert it to a CIA file and it installs just fine. You can also extract the save file and edit it if you see fit.

I see.

Thanks for the reply.
Finding a clean copy should be the hard part, as they are lots of modded files out there.

Also, does the new file having a bigger filesize will work too? Or should be the same or less as the original file?

Baggy Scraggy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see.

Thanks for the reply.
Finding a clean copy should be the hard part, as they are lots of modded files out there.

Also, does the new file having a bigger filesize will work too? Or should be the same or less as the original file?

It can be larger. Once I was finished it was 1.2 GB as opposed to 1.1 GB and it functioned perfectly.

Here's a guide in case you aren't sure how to decrypt and repack stuff (it also has a bunch of handy links)

https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-how-to-decrypt-extract-rebuild-3ds-roms.383055/

Baggy Scraggy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I originally intended on releasing a .romfs file to be used with HANS so that people on higher firmwares can take advantage of this as well, but after some testing I've found that when playing it through HANs it reverts to the vanilla version of Smash, and online is inaccessible because of it, the hack does work however, but is useless outside of maybe local play.

I tried decrypting the CIA update file for 1.1.3 and merging the update into the original .romfs as I saw in a guide, however, that results in an error on HANS.

If anyone has a fix for this, I can continue to work on the .romfs file as well.

As it stands currently, the hack will be released as a .3ds and CIA file.

:nds:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit: hey