Homebrew Creating a Godot Export Template?

RemnantKnight56

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seeing as how Godot is a fairly large and open source engine, I'm wondering if it would be possible to make an export template that could allow it to port to Wii/Gamecube, and with that, maybe lead the way to exporting to other retired platforms. From what I've researched, it seems like that to build an export template, you basically need to compile the Godot source code with the editor tools disabled to the target platform, then go through the existing build tools to enable and disable items for the platform.

I have some coding experience, and I think this might be a better alternative to creating a 3D game engine from scratch. Can this be done using compilers like devkitpro if the code was rewritten to work with Wii/Gamecube? I don't want to spend time figuring out how it could be done and actually getting into the code if it isn't possible.

RemnantKnight56

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what I've read, the older versions of Godot were able to run on weaker architectures, and as long as we have an SDK--like libogc--it should be possible, even if quite a bit of work would need to go into converting the graphics from OpenGL to what the Wii/Gamecube use. Other than that, it seems the main thing might be to put in hard RAM, CPU and GPU limitations for running on hardware.

Doing something like this can give a good legal use for emulators other than running homebrew applications. Technically speaking, we shouldn't even be running official games on them due to licensing. But if we made our own games able to run on the hardware with our own SDK...no good reason to stop us, is there?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    I @ idonthave: :)