RELEASE Crash Bandicoot Trilogy 720p Handheld Patch

Discussion in 'Switch - ROM Hacking, Saves, Translations & Tools' started by masagrator, Jun 23, 2019.

1. masagrator
    OP

masagrator File digger

Oct 14, 2018
    Poland
    This patch changes resolution in handheld mode from 854x480 to 1280x720.
    Just put "exefs_patches" to main folder of your CFW & restart console.

Comparison:
    http://www.framecompare.com/image-compare/screenshotcomparison/2BFCNNNU

This game is more demanding in case of graphics, so it's not recommended to use it without OC.
    Only to use with 1.0.0 version of game (which is for now the only one).

Instructions for changing resolution manually:
    Instructions

Attached Files:

Last edited by masagrator, Jun 24, 2019
    MAXLEMPIRA, EdgarC, ninja83 and 11 others like this.
  2. halin3a

halin3a Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 5, 2019
    Poland
    Hi. How about other games patches ? do U got anything for botw for example.. ?
    cheers from Poland

3. Retroboy

Retroboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 28, 2015
    LOL Graphically Demanding Game.

No, nintendo simply fail at providing good hardware.

but i do question this as handheld mode screen is identical to docked screen and i dont recall my crash looking as dull and blurry so im sure some doctoring to the images here.

4. huma_dawii

huma_dawii GBAtemp Psycho!

Apr 3, 2014
    United States
    Planet Earth
    the version of the game now is 1.0.3
    EDIT: Nevermind i thought it was the racing game :v

Last edited by huma_dawii, Jun 23, 2019
  5. masagrator
    OP

masagrator File digger

Oct 14, 2018
    Poland
    @Retroboy so it's demanding. I'm not talking about how good game looks, but how heavy it is on SoC.
    Make screenshots by yourself and compare them before accusing someone of fabrication.
    Dullness may be result of timing - there is moving light source, so colors change in time.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Dunno. Making this patch was possible only because function for setting game resolution is named identically as in Crash Team Racing. Without it I would never guessed that 1280x720 was 0x2D00000500 (in CTR it was just two floats - width, height)
    So it depends on each game how easy is to find resolution settings.

Last edited by masagrator, Jun 23, 2019
    MAXLEMPIRA likes this.
  6. Retroboy

May 28, 2015
    this is far from a graphically demanding game, if this is what you consider graphically demanding then fuck me sideways.

as for the fabrication, i point out how likely it is you can take a screenshot in handheld mode and then another while docked and it be an identical image.

you do know the map is animated, crash also, thus suggests its the same image fabricated to make the normal handheld mode look shit and dull and blurry.

i booted mine up just now and does it fuck look as bad as this.

7. Issac

Issac I

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Issac is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 10, 2004
    Sweden
    Sweden
    [​IMG]

So he managed to catch Crash in the same frame in his animation... let's just forget that every wave, and the clouds are different...

orangpelupa and Bedel like this.
  8. masagrator
    OP

masagrator File digger

Oct 14, 2018
    Poland
    @Retroboy "how likely"? "Suggests"? So I'm known from making fabrications? What the fuck are you talking about?
    It's demanding if in CTR I got 24-30 FPS for 720p without OC, where here I got ~20FPS.

Make screenshots and compare on PC. If you still won't see difference, I will treat you as troll and ignore.

Last edited by masagrator, Jun 23, 2019
  9. proffk

proffk GBAtemp Fan

Aug 14, 2013
    United States
    I don't understand why Nintendo switch has a 720p resolution in handheld mode when most of the games are downscaled & look ugly. If the main selling point & rumoured NSW mini is its portability then game developers needs to set 720p in handheld mode as standard. It can't be that hard. The other limitation of most game cartridges being 16GB & requiring users to download the rest of the game data. Theres a 32gb cartridge but thats another topic. Nice share do.

Last edited by proffk, Jun 23, 2019
  10. Phenj

Phenj GBAtemp Fan

May 22, 2018
    Italy
    this is awesome

11. Retroboy

May 28, 2015
    CTR is a completely different game, im simply looking at the pics, how yours look doctored and blurred, even color is different to what i see on my switch.

again the game isnt demanding, its the switch has shit hardware and its a shit port.

12. masagrator
    OP

masagrator File digger

Oct 14, 2018
    Poland
    They are not absolutely different games. I am done with arguing if you don't want to change your mind and you still didn't bring any evidence of my "doctoring" (how I would like to be that good with Photoshop so GUI is ideally not touched by color degrading and blur - but this is hardly to proof with jpeg).
    Now third person is going to my ignore list. :switch:

dragnipur and Assasin1990 like this.
  13. crow132

crow132 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 19, 2016
    Saint Helena
    great stuff man
    can you just shut the fuck up? ur clueless about what ur talking

Assasin1990 likes this.
  14. masagrator
    OP

masagrator File digger

Oct 14, 2018
    Poland
    From tests of person requesting this patch You need 460-537MHz in 2nd & 3rd depending on stage, when 1st needs 614-768MHz depending on stage.

I will write instructions how to edit resolution in patch tomorrow - it will be little more complicated than in case of CTR - so you can test for yourself what is the best you can get without plugged charger.

Edit: Instructions added. New patch was uploaded to have possibility of editing resolution. First one doesn't allow for correct editing!

hippy dave and crow132 like this.
  15. Raul8

Raul8 Member

Newcomer
    Sep 12, 2009
    United States
    This is really interesting! The same method can be applied to other games other than Crash trilogy or CTR? Like Donkey Kong TF or Yooka - Laylee? Thanks in advance!

16. Bedel

Bedel The key of the blade

Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    He is the only person I have in my ignore list, indeed. I was at first very confused about some posts until I saw yours and understood what's happening. Ignoring him is the best you can do.

On topic: nice patch! This are the best things the scene can bring us!

17. masagrator
    OP

masagrator File digger

Oct 14, 2018
    Poland
    This method works only with games on the same engine. And both games use "vicarious visions alchemy" engine... I think.

18. hippy dave

hippy dave BBMB

Apr 30, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Any other games not based around the same code would need to be analyzed and have patches figured out from scratch, if it's even possible for their code. It's nice to see this kind of patch appearing (great job op!), hopefully it might inspire other people to work on similar things for other games.

19. Raul8

Raul8 Member

Newcomer
    Sep 12, 2009
    United States
    Awesome! So it's possible if the code is analyzed per game. Thank you for your hard work, masagrator!

20. orangpelupa

orangpelupa GBAtemp Regular

Aug 7, 2009
    Indonesia
    For UE games, the resolution are defined in human readable Ini file

hippy dave likes this.