cquake direct comm test

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by elhobbs, Jun 25, 2013.

1. elhobbs
    OP

elhobbs GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 28, 2008
    United States
    I am looking for some testers for a build of cquake that supports direct ds to ds communication without an AP. I have tested this on a dstwo on a ds lite, 3DS, and 3DS XL. I am curious if there are problems with other cards. This is ds mode only - no dsi support. It is possible to select single player mode but it is not recommended - use a single player build instead.

https://code.google.com/p/cquake/downloads/list

minimal details in the download description. If you are able to test it out then I would appreciate feedback.

jonthedit likes this.
  2. Another World

Another World Emulate the Planet!

Former Staff
    Jan 3, 2008
    Colombia
    From Where???
    it is rather nice to see this released and i only wish i had someone to test with.

-another world

3. jonthedit

jonthedit GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 30, 2011
    Bangladesh
    I'll try this on my EZVi cart. I'll let you know soon enough!
    :lol: glad to see Homebrew isn't dead for DS!

4. SickPuppy

SickPuppy New Member

Jul 29, 2009
    United States
    OK, I got it to work.

I tested with CycloDS Evo, CycloDS iEvo (NDS mode), and AceKard 2i. All the carts are compatible, I could host and join games with all three flashcarts connected at the same time with 3 different DS lites.

The AceKard 2i tested in a DSi XL, would have a scrolling display "result: [insert number here]" , when selecting either DSNIFI option. Never did work in my DSi XL.

VatoLoco likes this.
  5. SickPuppy

SickPuppy New Member

Jul 29, 2009
    United States
    I found my m3ds real, it works with that one too.

When I test before, I just grouped the players in the same area and called it good since you were only testing connectivity. This time I did some exploring. I was using 2 ds lites and the game froze on both of them. Not sure what caused it, pressing the X button is when they froze. The first one froze right quickly in the game, I looked around a bit and then went to change the weapon (press X) and it froze. So with the other player (host DS) I wondered around a bit, went and killed the player that froze, then press the X button and the game froze.

6. elhobbs
    OP

Jul 28, 2008
    United States
    first - thanks for posting your results. I was able to reproduce this. smaller maps appear to freeze less frequently. did the alternating character in the upper left hand corner freeze as well? this is updated in the vblank interrupt, which makes me think there is a reentry issue with the interrupt code. I will need to take a look.

I think some of the cards may have wifi blocked on the dsi/3ds even in ds mode. I have a supercard dstwo, ievolution, and ezflash vi. I could only get the wifi to work on the dstwo. initializing the wifi hardware appears to cause the arm7 to freeze with the other cards. the result: 1 2 3 ... is the arm9 waiting for the arm7 to say that wifi hardware is initialized.
    edit: they all worked on my ds lite

7. Darkipod

Darkipod SELL ME GBA FLASH CART

Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    Central FL USA
    So is this like local host only? Isnt there a way to do some sort of hamachi work to get this internet borne?

8. elhobbs
    OP

Jul 28, 2008
    United States
    the point of this release is local host - no access point required. there are other versions that support access points. however, this version can connect to an open/unsecure access point. I have never tried connecting to anything on the internet with cquake - connecting to my pc on the same access point works fine though. cquake is based on the original quake not quakeworld, so it is not particularly suited for internet use. I think you may need to mess with things like port forwarding to get it to work over the internet. I do not really know though. I would imagine the results would not be very good. I have tried simple http get requests independent of cquake and they appear to work ok, but maybe I am missing the point of your question?

9. Darkipod

Darkipod SELL ME GBA FLASH CART

Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    Central FL USA
    Nah you got what I was saying, I just wouldnt have anyone to play this with, so without netplay, Its kinda worthless to me.