Could I get in trouble for trying to sell an edev switch on ebay?

Mammut

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I have already mailed nintendo and they said they could replace it for $250 dollars, nothing about them wanting it and no answer even weeks after I ignored them.

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have already mailed nintendo and they said they could replace it for $250 dollars, nothing about them wanting it and no answer even weeks after I ignored them.
The problem is that selling development hardware is bound to get taken down off eBay. Try selling it, and if it doesn't go down well, look for another marketplace site.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depends if you are bound a contract that prevent you from selling it, for a development studio they are not allow to sell it, selling it would get lawsuit.

Reactions: BigOnYa

SylverReZ

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Depends if you are bound a contract that prevent you from selling it, for a development studio they are not allow to sell it, selling it would get lawsuit.
Nintendo ninjas be waiting out with a sniper rifle. :rofl2:

SylverReZ

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Haha kinda true, Nintendo was quick about going after people modding SX Core/Lite when that was going around.
I tried once listing my unpatched Switch on eBay and I got hit with a DMCA takedown. :rofl2:
I'm not joking, this actually happened a year ago.

SylverReZ

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Keyword kinda matter a bit, like you can't really specific the chip, or even mention hard modded, modded, cfw etc lol.
That's true. eBay strictly hides any items with the words 'hardmodded', 'softmod', 'modchip', amongst many others. I often tend to use PicClick if I'm searching for this stuff on my own.

randy_w

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any recommendations?
You can try to sell it on facebook/craigslist, although I don't think the switch dev kit really worth anything, since anyone can straight buy it from nintendo as indie developer for like $500.

What did you tell nintendo? Last time I saw someone got a dev kit and nintendo offered to replace it for free. If they are asking $250 for a replacement I'd just buy a used switch for almost half the price..
Post automatically merged:

I tried once listing my unpatched Switch on eBay and I got hit with a DMCA takedown. :rofl2:
I'm not joking, this actually happened a year ago.
lol same here, tried to sell an unpatched v1 on ebay before, they took it down within a day. Thought it's because I mentioned CFW so relisted it and specifically said it's factory reset, no mod or anything, they took it down again. No way to dispute it and if they take it down again they'll lock my account. Same happened before when I was selling a ps4 on 5.05 firmware.

Just sell it on facebook marketplace or craigslist instead, plus they won't charge you a 20% service fee.

Last edited by randy_w,

charlie323a

Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
The problem is that selling development hardware is bound to get taken down off eBay. Try selling it, and if it doesn't go down well, look for another marketplace site.

Mammut

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
You can try to sell it on facebook/craigslist, although I don't think the switch dev kit really worth anything, since anyone can straight buy it from nintendo as indie developer for like $500.

What did you tell nintendo? Last time I saw someone got a dev kit and nintendo offered to replace it for free. If they are asking $250 for a replacement I'd just buy a used switch for almost half the price..

lol same here, tried to sell an unpatched v1 on ebay before, they took it down within a day. Thought it's because I mentioned CFW so relisted it and specifically said it's factory reset, no mod or anything, they took it down again. No way to dispute it and if they take it down again they'll lock my account. Same happened before when I was selling a ps4 on 5.05 firmware.

Just sell it on facebook marketplace or craigslist instead, plus they won't charge you a 20% service fee.
as much i have understood they SELL for 500 bucks and gamedevs get their for free, but they need to sign alot of papers and shit which makes it hard even for them.

Sell it locally or to a dev unit collector I wouldn't list it on eBay, hell I wouldn't of emailed Nintendo to say I have a unit.
thanks for the tip but I dont know any collectors, so yeah

Last edited by Mammut,

randy_w

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
but they need to sign alot of papers and shit which makes it hard even for them.
Judging by the amount of shovelware in eshop, I believe nintendo hands it out to anyone who applies and pays $500.

Anyway, it's not as valuable as a gamecube or wii u dev kit, just keep that in mind.

Reactions: Mammut

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Has he had seizures before?