Copying Games

Keretto

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello people! I was just wondering if it is legal to download a copy/rip of a game if you already own a physical copy? (e.g: emulation)

mashers

Stubborn ape
Trophies
XP
Country
It is illegal to share the game software, and it is illegal to access shared copies of the game software. So actually downloading the ROM is technically illegal even if you own the cart. Using a copy is a legal grey area in most countries, but I don't think anybody would actually be prosecuted for doing this.

I have converted a SNES housing to an emulation box using a Raspberry Pi and a Retrode (USB SNES cart and controller interface). The carts go in the slot at the top of the SNES as normal, but are loaded by the emulator. To make loading faster, the ROM is cached on the SD card. This is technically illegal, but I'd like to see Nintendo try to prosecute me for this ;)

yusuo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It is illegal to share the game software, and it is illegal to access shared copies of the game software. So actually downloading the ROM is technically illegal even if you own the cart. Using a copy is a legal grey area in most countries, but I don't think anybody would actually be prosecuted for doing this.

I have converted a SNES housing to an emulation box using a Raspberry Pi and a Retrode (USB SNES cart and controller interface). The carts go in the slot at the top of the SNES as normal, but are loaded by the emulator. To make loading faster, the ROM is cached on the SD card. This is technically illegal, but I'd like to see Nintendo try to prosecute me for this ;)
I would love to see an image of that setup, I have a spare raspberry pi laying about that I'm at a loss of what to do with

G0R3Z

Just Can't Be Bothered
Trophies
XP
Country
It is quite the grey zone.

As far as my research goes, it's like this:

If you own a game and rip it yourself, it's legal and you're only doing what you will with your own property.

If you upload or download a rom, it's copyright infringement. There is no 'second copy/backup' rule. Even if you own the game, it's still illegal to download a copy from a website as you're actively supporting copyright infringement.

Also, piracy is not the same thing.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
You download some copy of a game that was uploaded which is illegal.
If you make the backup your self, it is legal.
If you lose/destroy the original, it's illegal to keep the backup.

Paranoid and don't want to get caught?
Don't copy your games nor download backups.
The discs says "do not make copies of this game"

G0R3Z

Just Can't Be Bothered
Trophies
XP
Country
One of those things that many people know little about and make up rules to try and justify it. I torrent and infringe plenty, but I know it's illegal and I know why.

Reactions: Keretto

Pacheko17

Controversial opinions guy.
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I feel bad for those living in countries where downloading roms is a crime.

I live in Brazil, it sure might not be good to live in, but at least I'm happy with my 25gbs+ illegal roms folder without having to worry at all.

NightWolve

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.ysutopia.net
XP
Country
United States
Everything you need to know right here.

giphy.gif

ktq5Hyz.gif

:)

Last edited by NightWolve,
Reactions: wormdood

Touko White

(not)Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Its not illegal if you don't get caught ;)
That's true.
Also what about if a game's company is out of business (like Toaplan) it might be legal considering that the copyright probably doesn't belong to anyone and theres no credits scene either.
I'm not sure, feel free to correct me on this one !!

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its not illegal if you don't get caught ;)
not true . . . but i love it all the same:wub:
Also what about if a game's company is out of business (like Toaplan) it might be legal considering that the copyright probably doesn't belong to anyone and theres no credits scene either.
I'm not sure, feel free to correct me on this one !!
. . . nope the company that made cubic ninja dissolved and the games rights, royalties, and copyright became property of the console devs ie nintendo

Last edited by wormdood,

laudern

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I live in Brazil, it sure might not be good to live in, but at least I'm happy with my 25gbs+ illegal roms folder without having to worry at all.

Considering the number of times you hear about someone actually being caught for their own personal collection of piracy, I don't think you got the better end of the deal.

Reactions: Pacheko17

Ruby Gloom

GBAtemp Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
the little booklet you get with your retail games says you do not own the game you own license to use the game disk (cartage) however, and also say that you may not backup/copy/distribute/ect the game file
If you go to the store and buy some food, it belongs to you. There's no license. Same with games. You but it, it's yours. Nintendo can't knock on your door and demand " their " game back. It's no longer theirs. Copies are not illegal, but cause authorities to get suspicious on the owner of a copied software. Don't share it, you're good.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.