Converting PS2 saves on PS3 back to a PS2 memory card?

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by SamusKnight2K, May 24, 2010.

1. SamusKnight2K
    OP

Member SamusKnight2K GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Awhile back I got a PS3 60GB console that suffered the dreaded YLOD. I've got the thing working again now and coming in October I'm buying a slim to replace the console. However I've got a problem that there are a few PS2 saves on the console I REALLY wanna keep that cannot be used on the newer console since it lacks the BC function. What I'm asking is if there's a way to convert these saves from their formats saved on the PS3 back to a format readable by the PS2 memory cards again. I no longer have a PS2 and plan to purchase one at a later date so I can play my PS2 games again. If it helps I was able to convert them from PS2 to PS3 using a Swap Magic disc the first time. I forget the whole method involved but it included using a special program and drivers on a USB Stick with the Swap Magic and ELF files.

2. zapoqx

Newcomer zapoqx Advanced Member

United States
    I suppose if anything, I could suggest if you have the spare cash, get the PS3 memory card adapter if you can find one. Otherwise, I don't know the other trick (but I do know what you are talking about).

3. SamusKnight2K
    OP

Member SamusKnight2K GBAtemp Regular

United States
    If I recall it was by using ULanchELF to convert the saves into a specific format then loading them onto a USB stick. From there I just copied them to my PS3's internal drive and it recognized them no sweat. It was a bit of an annoyance at first getting the drivers for the USB ports to work on PS3 with ULauchELF but eventually I got it. The problem however is I don't know if it's possible to convert those saves back into their original formats again. And the PS3 memory card adapter I think only allows saves to be read from the memory card, not writing them back to it. I could be wrong here but that's what I recall reading.

4. zapoqx

Newcomer zapoqx Advanced Member

United States
    hmm. I know I had to use the PS3 Memory Adapter a few times at my college and it was able to write back to the memory card. Heck, I think it also used it if setup right as the memory card instead of transferring. But I think I went with the transfer method because it was quicker in game for some reason. I haven't used it in a long time honestly though and since I have a PS2 at home and don't have a reason to use it at the college, I don't have a use for it yet except for one of my friends.