Hacking Convert SKY3DS save to Gateway

mrolive

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Uh, shouldn't the Sky3DS save file work on the Gateway? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't see any differences.

SomecallmeBerto

The Anti-Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've had this question before however I have yet to find anyone to test. I don't have the money right now to do the test myself also. >.>

Shady Guy Jose

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
are you 100% sure? if so, the saves would work in classic mode (if you inject them to cart via gw launcher)

You can't inject CARD2 (Pokémon) saves with the Launcher. This could work with CARD1 games, provided Classic Mode is being run with a SysNAND over 6.X and the browser exploit.

LameNobody

Weighted Companion Cube Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Best option would be to extract the saves with savedatafilter and do the complicated process of importing to the gwcard

Wowfunhappy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's funny, because I was trying to do something very similar last night. I have a (legit) eShop copy of Kid Icarus on my US Old 3DS, and wanted to continue from my existing save file on a EU New 3DS, using a Sky3DS that I bought to tide me over until I can do a region change. I thought that SaveDataFiler would make this relatively easy, but boy was I wrong.

Best option would be to extract the saves with savedatafilter and do the complicated process of importing to the gwcard

Importing to the Gateway is easy. What will be hard is extracting the Sky3DS's save with SaveDataFiler.

In order to use SaveDataFiler to inject or extract a save file to or from a retail cartridge (or a Sky3DS, which is effectively the same thing), you need to be able to both (1) Launch SaveDataFiler and (2) Read Cartridges. Yes, this is common sense. However:

In Classic Mode (or on a normal, unpatched SysNand), you CAN read cartridges, but CANNOT launch SaveDataFiler.
In Gateway Mode, you CAN launch SaveDataFiler, but CANNOT read cartridges.

There is, however, something that can do both: the leaked custom firmware. While this took FOREVER to set up, it DID (eventually, after hours of crashes) work for my purposes: I was able to inject a decrypted Kid Icarus save into my Sky3DS.

The reverse, however—what the op is actually trying to do—will not work. In order to swap regions, I'd originally thought that I would also need to extract an EU save from my Sky3DS. There is no logical reason why this should not work, but at least for me, while running the CFW, it crashed my system EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. (I eventually got around this problem by placing the EU rom on my Gateway and extracting the save from that copy).

(For whatever it's worth, I don't blame the CFW for being buggy, seeing as it was never supposed to be released in the first place. But my god was last night frustrating)

Nuxx20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's funny, because I was trying to do something very similar last night. I have a (legit) eShop copy of Kid Icarus on my US Old 3DS, and wanted to continue from my existing save file on a EU New 3DS, using a Sky3DS that I bought to tide me over until I can do a region change. I thought that SaveDataFiler would make this relatively easy, but boy was I wrong.

Importing to the Gateway is easy. What will be hard is extracting the Sky3DS's save with SaveDataFiler.

In order to use SaveDataFiler to inject or extract a save file to or from a retail cartridge (or a Sky3DS, which is effectively the same thing), you need to be able to both (1) Launch SaveDataFiler and (2) Read Cartridges. Yes, this is common sense. However:

In Classic Mode (or on a normal, unpatched SysNand), you CAN read cartridges, but CANNOT launch SaveDataFiler.

There is, however, something that can do both: the leaked custom firmware. While this took FOREVER to set up, it DID (eventually, after more than an hours of crashes) work for my purposes: I was able to inject a decrypted Kid Icarus save into my Sky3DS.

The reverse, however—what the op is actually trying to do—will not work. In order to swap regions, I'd originally thought that I would also need to extract an EU save from my Sky3DS. There is no logical reason why this should not work, but at least for me, while running the CFW, it crashed my system EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. (I eventually got around this problem by placing the EU rom on my Gateway and extracting the save from that copy).

(For whatever it's worth, I don't blame the CFW for being buggy, seeing as it was never supposed to be released in the first place. But my god was last night frustrating)

I'm interested in that exactly, converting gateway save into Sky3DS - could you please explain the steps to obtain these in CFW?

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu

There is, however, something that can do both: the leaked custom firmware. While this took FOREVER to set up, it DID (eventually, after more than an hours of crashes) work for my purposes: I was able to inject a decrypted Kid Icarus save into my Sky3DS.

but this is only good for old games, not ones that use the newer save encryption :( (because that is not supported in the 4.5 cfw)

Wowfunhappy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm interested in that exactly, converting gateway save into Sky3DS - could you please explain the steps to obtain these in CFW?

Hi! I want to help, but I don't have the energy to recount EVERYTHING I did.

Take a look at the below two tutorials. Most of what I did came from there.
[Tutorial] From 9.2 (or any lower firmware) to CFW 4.5, without Gateway
[TUTORIAL] How to export/import Gateway Card1 .sav to eShop/3ds/3dz with SaveDataFiler

Go as far as you can yourself (either IRL, or just planning in your head) and then tell me if and where you get stuck, or if there's something you don't understand. I'll be happy to explain what I did from there.

Note: I have a second Old 3DS (In addition to the EU N3DS and the Old 3DS with my eShop and save games) that I used to install the CFW. I don't think this was necessary, but it was helpful to me as I didn't have to worry about losing my eShop games and/or saves in the installation process.

Edit: Also, be forewarned: had I known before starting how long it would take to transfer the save, I wouldn't have begun in the first place.

Nuxx20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi! I want to help, but I don't have the energy to recount EVERYTHING I did.

Take a look at the below two tutorials. Most of what I did came from there.
[Tutorial] From 9.2 (or any lower firmware) to CFW 4.5, without Gateway
[TUTORIAL] How to export/import Gateway Card1 .sav to eShop/3ds/3dz with SaveDataFiler

Go as far as you can yourself (either IRL, or just planning in your head) and then tell me if and where you get stuck, or if there's something you don't understand. I'll be happy to explain what I did from there.

Note: I have a second Old 3DS (In addition to the EU N3DS and the Old 3DS with my eShop and save games) that I used to install the CFW. I don't think this was necessary, but it was helpful to me as I didn't have to worry about losing my eShop games and/or saves in the installation process.

Edit: Also, be forewarned: had I known before starting how long it would take to transfer the save, I wouldn't have begun in the first place.

Thank you!

After I get CFW installed, which of the 3 conversions described in the second tutorial should I use?

Wowfunhappy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you trying to transfer across regions like I was?

If you're not, then you want to do steps 1-6 in part B. In step 2, where it says "mount your game" mount your Sky3DS game since that's what you're trying to transfer too.

Nuxx20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you trying to transfer across regions like I was?

If you're not, then you want to do steps 1-6 in part B. In step 2, where it says "mount your game" mount your Sky3DS game since that's what you're trying to transfer too.

So I go into CFW and start from B.1 ? It just doesn't make sense to me since I already have the gateway .sav file on my SD card... The description for part B says that you are actually exporting an eShop game to .3ds format. Very confusing..

Wowfunhappy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I go into CFW and start from B.1 ? It just doesn't make sense to me since I already have the gateway .sav file on my SD card... The description for part B says that you are actually exporting an eShop game to .3ds format. Very confusing..

Are you trying to convert from a Gateway .sav or trying to convert from an eShop game? I converted from an eShop game and assumed that's what you were trying to do as well.

If you're coming from a gateway save, you'll want to first follow steps 1-7 in part A (it might be a good idea to do this before installing CFW) and THEN follow steps 1,2,5,6 in part B.

In part B, you're just using a Sky3DS instead of a Gateway. If you were using a Gateway, it would generate a .sav because that's what the Gateway uses. Does that make sense?

Nuxx20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you trying to convert from a .sav or trying to convert from an eShop game? I converted from an eShop game.

If you're coming from a gateway save, you'll want to first follow steps 1-7 in part A, and THEN follow steps 1,2,5,6 in part B.

In part B, you're just using a Sky3DS instead of a Gateway.

Im trying to convert from a gateway .sav to a sky3ds save.
Yes it does make a lot more sense now. Thank you!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended