Convert Savegames Sky3DS -> Gateway Card

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by cherup, Oct 10, 2016.

1. cherup
    OP

cherup Member

Newcomer
    Jan 10, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Hi,

I have decided to move away from my SK3DS card to a Gateway card.
    I only have one problem - I have some savgames on my Sk3DS and it would be perfect
    if I can convert them on my Gateway.

I have read that this should be possible with "SafeDataFiler", which I already installed on my Emunand.

The problem: When I am on my Emunand I cannot use my Sky3DS card - it won't be recognized and so I cannot export the savegame using SafeDataFiler....

Of course I also have the Sky3DS .sav data available, but not sure if this can be converted into the right format ...

Any ideas how to solve this ? (otherwise I must tell my son that all the savegames are lost :-/ )

2. el_gonz87

el_gonz87 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 24, 2016
    United States
    I'm assuming sky3ds works on sysnand, what firmware is your sysnand currently?

3. cherup
    OP

cherup Member

Newcomer
    Jan 10, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Sysnand is 9.2 - Sky3ds is working fine here - but I do not have any CIA files installed here...

4. el_gonz87

el_gonz87 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 24, 2016
    United States
    What you can do is get homebrew access using Freakyforms or Cubic Ninja (hint: you can use your sky3ds if you don't have a physical copy).

Visit the following for how to set up:
    - Freakyhax: https://github.com/plutooo/freakyhax
    - Ninjahax: https://smealum.github.io/ninjhax2/

Then you can use SVDT, JKSM, or any other save manager from homebrew menu to extract saves from sky3ds like you would from normal carts.

Last edited by el_gonz87, Oct 10, 2016
  5. Zidapi

Zidapi GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 1, 2002
    Your sky3DS isn't recognised in your gateway emuNAND because it's in "Gateway Mode". You'll need to switch to "Classic Mode" for your legit/sky3ds carts to be detected.

This is achieved by pressing select to bring up the gateway menu, then pressing up on the D-Pad to bring up the options menu. Change the option that says gateway to classic, and you're good to go.

I thought there were issues with both Gateway and Sky3ds that prevented you from importing/exporting saves between the two, but at least now you're in a position to try anyhow.

6. Zidapi

Zidapi GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 1, 2002
    Your sky3DS isn't recognised in your gateway emuNAND because it's in "Gateway Mode". You'll need to switch to "Classic Mode" for your legit/sky3ds carts to be detected.

This is achieved by pressing select to bring up the gateway menu, then pressing up on the D-Pad to bring up the options menu. Change the option that says gateway to classic, and you're good to go.

I thought there were issues with both Gateway and Sky3ds that prevented you from importing/exporting saves between the two, but at least now you're in a position to try anyhow.

7. cherup
    OP

cherup Member

Newcomer
    Jan 10, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Now I tried several thing's, but it seems that Sky3ds savegame cannot be exported like original games. I have installed savedatafiler and was able to get access to the sky3ds game (Mario 3d land in this case). After using savedatafiler only a gamedata.bin was exported (no. Sav game). This I can import in the Gateway game, but no effect. When renaming it with correct title Id, storing it on the sd drive Gateway tells me that save game is corrupt and cannot be used.... so do I have to give up or is there a possibility to convert them in a gateway format?

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

8. cherup
    OP

cherup Member

Newcomer
    Jan 10, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Alright - after some more research and tests I did it successfully. I could export the Sky3DS+ Games to the SD card and import it back to the Gateway Card.
    Thanks for helping!

9. Zidapi

Zidapi GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 1, 2002
    Can you explain how you did it? As mentioned earlier, I didn't think it was possible.

10. cherup
    OP

cherup Member

Newcomer
    Jan 10, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Sure - it seems not very common to convert from Sky3ds to Gateway, because you cannot find many informations about that. But maybe this helps some people who like to di it.
    In general: you need SaveDataFiler for Savegeme export. Having this working you can follow this steps:

00) install sdf

01) Put Sky3DS+ in and chhose game to export (do not start the game))
    02) Start SDF
    03) Choose CTR Card and export with Y
    04) Close SDF + take out Sky3DS
    05) Put gateway in choose the game and create a savegame (if you do not already have one))
    07) Close the game and put SD Card into computer
    08) 2DS ausschalten und die SD-Karte an einen Rechner anschecken
    09) rename new gateway save game (e.g. 000400000008C400.sav) in 000400000FF40A00.sav (Name is mandatory!)
    10) Put in SD card in 3DS and start Gateway mode
    11) Select game - do not start the game
    12) start sdf starten
    13) klick on tab SD
    14) user : [aktuelles Datum] : 0008C400( or similar) ) import with L + A
    15) click on tab USER
    16) click on CTR Card and press R + X

[ nearly done ]

17) close sdf and turn off 3DS
    18) put SD card in computer
    19) Rename 000400000FF40A00.sav in correct save game name - (e.g. 000400000008C400.sav)
    20) put sd card back in 3ds and start gateway mode
    21) Choose SELECT another game

22) press SELECT dand choose your game you want to import and start