Hardware Controller Recommendations

luney

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want to set up a PC just for emulation. I'm hoping some of you have favorite USB or wireless game controllers that you use and love. I'm looking to buy just one controller that can be used for all sonsole emulation. I guess it would need enough buttons for say N64 use but able to be used for NES as well. I don't want to spend a whole lot but I'm willing to look at all options recommended. Wireless would be ideal (I'm guessing there are wireless options now like with wireless mouse/keyboard options) if it has a small transceiver that plugs into a USB port but wired would be just as good if it does what I intend. Any suggestions would be appreciated. If some of you have used ones in good condition laying around that you want to get rid of, let me know. Thanks everyone.

Zoel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I would just get a xbox 360 controller along with the wireless dongle. Has enough buttons to cover all your emulation needs and you can still play the latest games if you do plan on playing those. As for me I use a USB Sega Saturn controller, i think they're perfect for playing fighting games and gives you the authencity of the retro sgea consoles.

Gallito

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would just get a xbox 360 controller along with the wireless dongle. Has enough buttons to cover all your emulation needs and you can still play the latest games if you do plan on playing those. As for me I use a USB Sega Saturn controller, i think they're perfect for playing fighting games and gives you the authencity of the retro sgea consoles.

Exactly. I use a wired one myself. Also if I'm not mistaken aren't PlayStation controllers bluetooth? If so then no dongle required if you aren't a fan of staggered sticks...

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Exactly. I use a wired one myself. Also if I'm not mistaken aren't PlayStation controllers bluetooth? If so then no dongle required if you aren't a fan of staggered sticks...

Or if you've got built in Bluetooth.. Oo

Not one I'd recommend, personally. There's a bit of a delay and to me it's not worth it.

flakk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I would recommend an Xbox 360 controller with the wireless dongle.
I personally use a wired one myself and its good for all my emulators.

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A x360 or ps3 worms great (it really is your preference) or if it really is important then thier are a lot of USB replica controllers that are like the real deal so that is an option

esmith13

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They don't make it anymore and I know it's wired, but this is my favorite emulation-on-a-computer controller. It has the standard "Dual Shock" setup but has four extra buttons on it beyond what you'd expect. Works great for adding emulation-specific functions like load/save state, emulation pause, exit emulation, etc...

Considering I prefer Xbox 360 controllers over PS2/PS3 controllers it says a lot about how helpful those extra buttons are...

Macally iShock II
1.jpg

Also, if you looking to emulate no newer than a N64, you could use the generic sega saturn stype USB pads or MadCatz Street fighter fightpads as well. The six button layout on those controllers make some N64 games easier to play even with the lack of analog stick.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
A 360 controller is the easiest, but it comes down to preference. For retro games you'll likely be using the dpad often, and the dpad on the 360 controller is a piece of shit. I personally prefer the PS3 controller's dpad. (or you could even get a PS4 controller, but that's lacking a start/select button and I don't know how good the dpad is. You can get around the lacking buttons by mapping the clicky sticks to things though)

Catastrophic

Perfectly Normal
Trophies
XP
Country
If you happen to own a Wii Classic Controller then I would suggest a Classic Controller to USB adapter. Being designed with emulation in mind, it's fantastic for all sorts of emulation; SNES, NES, GBA, N64 etc. The Xbox360 controller isn't bad either but the lack of an octagonal gate may make games like Super Smash Bros quite shaky. The D-Pad on a 360 controller is also quite bad.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If its just for emulation then you should be able to get a ps2 controller with usb adapter pretty cheap

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
A 360 controller is the easiest, but it comes down to preference. For retro games you'll likely be using the dpad often, and the dpad on the 360 controller is a piece of shit. I personally prefer the PS3 controller's dpad. (or you could even get a PS4 controller, but that's lacking a start/select button and I don't know how good the dpad is. You can get around the lacking buttons by mapping the clicky sticks to things though)

The PS4 controller definitely has a Start and Select button, they're just renamed to "Share" and "Options". Otherwise they function literally the same ;)

eriol33

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I bought a xbox 360 controller because my ps2's left analog was broken. Honestly I still don't like it. I'm growing up with SNES and PlayStation button layouts, so I press wrong buttons a lot of times. 360 controller is still nice though, to play steam games but I recommend you to get a PlayStation controller to play console emulators, I think 360 controller tires my hand faster. I got RSI very quickly when playing button masher games while I almost get none when using my ps2 gamepad

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd recommend a cheap PS3 controller. It has a more comfortable D-Pad in my opinion, and will give you the option of wireless with bluetooth and wired with USB. The 360 controller is fine, but I think the D-pad is rubbish and it's a bit annoying that it requires a wireless dongle for the wireless version.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: or did you have to find a used one with the lower firm ware that was not updated