Consolised Switch & Hardware Preservation

LDigital

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Not sure if this is the right spot for this but I recently found out on another forum that the switch does not work at all without a working battery unless it is modded, even while docked.

As someone who has never lifted their switch out of its cradle even once to play a game, I was horrified by this revelation.

To me this is not a handheld machine and I had hoped that when it eventually retires it can still last 20+ years like it’s older siblings.

Now it seems that unless someone develops a mod, when the battery eventually swells up or dies, this thing is a brick. I had never even thought about the battery until now as I don’t see it as a handheld.

There is a guy who has managed to Jerry rig his but the mod is super crude at the moment. Hopefully someone comes up with something tidy.

Am I the only collector/preservationist out here worried about this?

ChanseyIsTheBest

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Not sure if this is the right spot for this but I recently found out on another forum that the switch does not work at all without a working battery unless it is modded, even while docked.

As someone who has never lifted their switch out of its cradle even once to play a game, I was horrified by this revelation.

To me this is not a handheld machine and I had hoped that when it eventually retires it can still last 20+ years like it’s older siblings.

Now it seems that unless someone develops a mod, when the battery eventually swells up or dies, this thing is a brick. I had never even thought about the battery until now as I don’t see it as a handheld.

There is a guy who has managed to Jerry rig his but the mod is super crude at the moment. Hopefully someone comes up with something tidy.

Am I the only collector/preservationist out here worried about this?
I think it's important to note that the battery is user-replaceable meaning when the battery fails you can replace it with a third-party one just like the DS, 3DS, PSVita. Sure it might be a bit annoying but if something like the GPU fails you'd have to replace the motherboard (not 100% sure).

Reactions: binkinator

randy_w

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Relax, there's nothing to worry about. Even if the battery dies you can change it in 30 minutes. And replacement batteries will be manufactured long after the console is discontinued, like GBA SP, DS and PSP. You can even buy brand new replacement gumstick batteries for walkman. Same for other parts like joystick and card reader.

Yeah I've seen that consolise mod before, pretty neat idea for those who have a switch with broken screen but never play in handheld mode. Tbh nintendo should release a screenless console like pstv. They've already made switch lite for those never play in tv mode, why not make one for those never play in handheld mode?

Anyway, build quality of switch is not as good as old nintendo consoles like ds and gba, and I'm a bit skeptical about whether it would last 10 years, let alone 20 years.

Reactions: binkinator

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @DinohScene, Wasn't it Scarlet and Violet?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Dunno, I stay in the EoF.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    The craze must've had died down by then.
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    I'm much more on the killing floor :x
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Imagine that every Pokemon game is the exact same but with slight tweaks.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @DinohScene, I'm not much of a gaymer, more-so a creator.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    @SylverReZ Syl my beloved :bow: gm
    +1
    It is friday
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Last time I played a game was hmmm... can't exactly recall. :wacko:
    I can't believe you got me with that
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I haven't been gaming for such a long time. Been mostly busy with sleep, hardware tinkering and checking GBAtemp frequently.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hope you've had a good morning.
    It's going alright thanks :) I know what you mean with gaming time. It's precious where I can get it these days.
    +1
    I think that's why I focus on just enjoying single player experiences that aren't too competitive
    How are you doing?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    There's also this thing where I'm hyperfocused at night and cannot get to sleep.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some...