Consoles on Carpet

Black_Heart

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I just found out you're not supposed to put game consoles on carpet as that will kill them. Either I'm very lucky, or it's just superstition, cause I've had some of my retro consoles on carpet for years and they still work flawlessly. The two I read you should NEVER put on carpet are N64 and PS1. Welp, I do that all the time with no issues. In fact, I had been using my N64 for around 2-3 hours a day for the past week playing Conker.
Now granted, I don't usually play my N64 or PS1 for more than 3 hours. Maybe the whole carpet thing only applies if you're playing for a very long time?
I've also used my laptop on carpet for a couple hours whenever I wanna use it as a SEGA Saturn. Still had no issues.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Putting a console on a carpet is a very bad idea, and the why of it should easily be answered by your common sense.
Consoles try to breath from below and from around it, and carpets not only block the air intakes, but also collect dust that is later sucked in by the consoles and clog their ventilation system.
This all will only lead to failure of the cooling sub-system inside your console, building of heat, and early death.
That said, older or retro consoles lacked any kind of active cooling, and thus their cooling systems didn't actively breath in air (but they depended on standard passive convection).

Because of this retro consoles are way less affected by doing a careless thing like blocking their air intakes and putting dust collectors around them... still they are affected, I don't know why someone would do something like that. I mean, you can go around all day in your car without putting in brake fluid and if you are lucky you won't die, but if you really need to brake then you're toast. Will you drive your car without brake fluid then? Hey! You can survive it! It's been proved! /s

Last edited by sarkwalvein,

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I just found out you're not supposed to put game consoles on carpet as that will kill them. Either I'm very lucky, or it's just superstition, cause I've had some of my retro consoles on carpet for years and they still work flawlessly. The two I read you should NEVER put on carpet are N64 and PS1. Welp, I do that all the time with no issues. In fact, I had been using my N64 for around 2-3 hours a day for the past week playing Conker.
Now granted, I don't usually play my N64 or PS1 for more than 3 hours. Maybe the whole carpet thing only applies if you're playing for a very long time?
I've also used my laptop on carpet for a couple hours whenever I wanna use it as a SEGA Saturn. Still had no issues.

That's true but can you leave your laptop/consoles running on carpet and go out for 8 hours ? Would you worry about it ? Yeah, you would be worrying about fire in the house, no matter what.

Now.. Do not use your laptop/consoles on carpet at all. Just dont. No matter if it is just superstition or not.

D

Deleted User

Interesting to see that the N64 stands out in particular as a console you should never put on carpet, due to its lack of moving components. Then again, I've never owned an N64, and there's probably something I'm missing, so take what I just said with a grain of salt.

That aside, it's definitely a bad idea to leave any console on carpet while playing, especially if they use disc drives or generate a lot of heat. It's unhealthy for the console, and you're running a fire hazard risk. At the very least, get a stool or a small table to put the system on before running it.

Black_Heart

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
its all about heat your house has good ventilation airflow or even a draft then you wont ever have an issue
I always have the AC and ceiling fan on where my retro consoles are. Mainly since it gets to 99 degrees Fahrenheit without it.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Why the fuck would you do that?
Dust in the carpet will be sucked into the console.
Not to mention dirt n other things that can happen to the poor thing.
I didn't know consoles inhaled air, only exhaled heat.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I always have the AC and ceiling fan on where my retro consoles are. Mainly since it gets to 99 degrees Fahrenheit without it.

The expelled air has to come from somewhere.
Pretty much all consoles with fans in them rely on a negative airpressure to ventilate.
Air and dust (including pet hair and other debries) is slowly getting sucked in and deposited on the heatsinks/fans.

Passively cooled consoles don't have that problem (anything N64 and below)

Black_Heart

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The expelled air has to come from somewhere.
Pretty much all consoles with fans in them rely on a negative airpressure to ventilate.
Air and dust (including pet hair and other debries) is slowly getting sucked in and deposited on the heatsinks/fans.

Passively cooled consoles don't have that problem (anything N64 and below)
So basically N64, Genesis, NES, and Famiclone should be fine?

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So basically N64, Genesis, NES, and Famiclone should be fine?
It's still a bad idea to put them on a carpet, but they usually won't die.
For sure it will take a lot longer for them to die if they do.
In the other hand if you do that to a PS4 or XBone (*or a PC or Notebook) it will probably die after a month of use or so.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Black_Heart

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's still a bad idea to put them on a carpet, but they usually won't die.
For sure it will take a lot longer for them to die if they do.
In the other hand if you do that to a PS4 or XBone (*or a PC or Notebook) it will probably die after a month of use or so.
PS2 and above are all on shelves or in cabinets. Only ones on carpet are retro consoles (primarily NES, Famiclone, Genesis, N64, and PS1)

Black_Heart

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They should be fine but I wouldn't do it meself.
I take care of them haha.
Would a cutting board like this work?
995b7c9d-2322-4bef-b6c9-2403ce7d4253.jpg

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It would certainly be better but if your intent is to keep them on ground level.. Nah, dust etc.
Placing it higher up means you're quicker to manually clean it instead of quickly dusting it as well.

Hey, I don't tell you to do it that way, I'm just sharing me opinion about it haha.

Edit: bloody phone.

Black_Heart

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It would certainly be better but if your intent is to keep them on ground level.. Nah, dust etc.
Placing it higher up means you're quicker to manually clean it instead of quickly dusting it as well.

Hey, I don't tell you to do it that way, I'm just sharing me opinion about it haha.

Edit: bloody phone.
When put away they're in a cabinet with my Gamecube and PS2. I only have them on the floor when playing so the controller can reach the couch.

Reactions: DinohScene

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

1. then your only problem should be dust
2. fans only work because there are vents/cracks to allow airflow . . .
3. if you have never done so before you should buy a can of compressed air and use it on your console vents/cracks

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    "Start your day with Cup Noodles Breakfast! This limited time flavor blends ramen with your favorite breakfast flavors, including pancakes, maple syrup, sausage, and eggs."
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If our Walmart has them yours probably does
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I came to like french Camembert
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    People get way too self conscious about ingredients
    Grilled peanut butter sandwiches with banana, bacon, and marshmallow cream. YUM!!!!
    one of my favorites
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Okay elvis
    fuck elvis. lol :P
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My type c cable is starting to die guess I better order one from my desk
    sounds like something Ween would play
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    And here I thought I was the only one that buy cables in bulk
    Nope. Theres two of you! Haha
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They're so cheap now why not
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I like the L angle connectors which add more force to it I guess which defeats the point
    i only buy new ones when theres a new standard and I have gear that uses it. Otherwise my cables seem to last forever.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, Ween made a song about waving dicks in the wind.
    +1
    L angle cables are amazing when needed.
    @SylverReZ Yup. Been a longtime fan of Ween. Not a mega-fan by any means but I'm pretty familiar with most of their tunes.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You like the wee
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I like electronics that use detachable cables, that way if the cable breaks you can just swap in a new one instead of replacing the whole unit
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Ween-er :creep:
    they make brown music. lol
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Brown note
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    for keyboards, headphones or controllers ,it's a must have
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: for keyboards, headphones or controllers ,it's a must have