Consoles on Carpet

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had a customer wrap his modem in a plastic shopping bag. Had to replace his modem, because he suffocated it to death. I told him why he shouldn’t wrap a plastic shopping bag. He said he did it to keep the dust out.
Also, having a tv on your refrigerator will damage the tv. At least the old tube TVs.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I had a customer wrap his modem in a plastic shopping bag. Had to replace his modem, because he suffocated it to death. I told him why he shouldn’t wrap a plastic shopping bag. He said he did it to keep the dust out.
Also, having a tv on your refrigerator will damage the tv. At least the old tube TVs.
That kind of stupidity makes me wonder why we don't hear of more people wrapping themselves in order to keep the dust out and their lungs clean.
Well, perhaps it is just that they don't live to tell the story.

Reactions: slaphappygamer

sven7777

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Classic PEBKAC

GrimyHR

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
So I just found out you're not supposed to put game consoles on carpet as that will kill them. Either I'm very lucky, or it's just superstition, cause I've had some of my retro consoles on carpet for years and they still work flawlessly. The two I read you should NEVER put on carpet are N64 and PS1. Welp, I do that all the time with no issues. In fact, I had been using my N64 for around 2-3 hours a day for the past week playing Conker.
Now granted, I don't usually play my N64 or PS1 for more than 3 hours. Maybe the whole carpet thing only applies if you're playing for a very long time?
I've also used my laptop on carpet for a couple hours whenever I wanna use it as a SEGA Saturn. Still had no issues.
all newer condoles have a fan, if it has a fan you cant keep it on the carpet.

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The fan just sucks in hair and crap from the carpet or any other surface that may have dirt. This is why it’s not recommended to place such an item in confined spaces.

Song of storms

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I don't see the point of getting worried about heating issues for older consoles. They are fanless, so I don't think they risk any overheat. Or am I wrong?

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I don't see the point of getting worried about heating issues for older consoles. They are fanless, so I don't think they risk any overheat. Or am I wrong?
Older consoles move air by non forced convection. Hot air is lighter and moves up, this creates negative pressure and cold air moves in from below the console to fill the space that hot air left behind. Blocking the intakes below the console will force somewhat hotter air to enter from above. Due to this passive cooled consoles are also affected by blocking their air intakes, but to a much lesser degree compared to consoles using fans.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, MP3s were designed to be as small as possible, so that they can be shared on...