'Console killer'

kicknhorse

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Considering it's only a few months away, I never heard anything of this before.

QUOTE said:
A gaming service that aims to kill off the traditional gaming console will begin streaming popular games over the internet in June this year.

OnLive, which launched to much fanfare in 2009, announced details of its service at the GamesBeat conference.

Instead of games taking hours to download or buying them off the shelf, OnLive promises games on-demand.

"OnLive breaks the console cycle. We don't need new hardware devices," said company founder Steve Perlman.

That sentiment was echoed by his chief operating officer Mike McGarvey.

"We want to take your dollars from hardware and let you spend it on software. We are a new platform and we're building a network and infrastructure to last for the next 30 years of gaming, not the next five years," Mr McGarvey told reporters.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8556874.stm

I do not see it taking off personally. But beware, it could be a potential threat to our beloved Nintendo. Though I am more than confident Nintendo will kick arse in the next decade.

Let's here it for Nintendo!

D

Deleted-171178

kicknhorse said:
I do not see it taking off personally. But beware, it could be a potential threat to our beloved Nintendo. Though I am more than confident Nintendo will kick arse in the next decade.

Let's here it for Nintendo!

youmad.jpg

But it looks like a good idea, kinda similar to steam.

kicknhorse

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yes, in theory. But also, especcially here in the UK, a lot of cheap internet connections are bandwidth limited.

4gb, 20gb, 30gb and so on a month. This will by far surpass the bandwidth levels of most internet users I am sure. Plus, the apathetic masses can hardly be bothered to change ISP because of the hassle it can cause.

Sylar1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Running on low end PC's

i will sue when i can't run borderlands on an 800 MHZ pc with 64 MB of ram

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
I have 5Gb of bandwidth for peak hours per month (That's 16:00 to 00:00...i.e when most people get in from work and actually want to kick back and relax)

With Internet provision the way it is in the UK this would not be very successful here.

EyeZ

Trophies
XP
I remember reading about this a while ago, not to sure how well it will be received though, there will be a few factors involved e.g. internet connection, pricing, and i like how they say " we want to take your dollars from hardware and let you spend it on software".

I'm sure they mean give them your money.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
There's no telling how this will perform on a normal connection and you might as well say goodbye to all custom made content.

Edgedancer

Director of Moon based operations
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I think taht this type of service could be possible in another couple of years when bandwidth becomes cheaper but right now, it is simply unfeasible in places such as Australia.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
kicknhorse said:
Considering it's only a few months away, I never heard anything of this before.
i've been following this for a while now frankly i don't expect it to do too well. if you plan to use this a lot you'll need a lot of bandwidth cos this thing eats it like candy. it streams games off their server onto your computer or tv in real time. you don't ever download the actual game your always playing it off a server. so imagine how much bandwidth that is gonna take? you also better have a fast connection too under 1mb/sec isn't going to cut it
tongue.gif

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
this requires a PC, I have absolutely no interest in playing on my computer. I already work on my PC all day.
I'd rather sit comfortably on the sofa, enjoy my wireless 360 controller and HD gaming that doesn't lag. thank you very much.
i have serious doubts about this technology and the reception it'll get

Cermage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Costello said:
this requires a PC, I have absolutely no interest in playing on my computer. I already work on my PC all day.
I'd rather sit comfortably on the sofa, enjoy my wireless 360 controller and HD gaming that doesn't lag. thank you very much.

its just a little box that plugs into your tv iirc. just like any other console.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
.Radiant said:
Costello said:

its just a little box that plugs into your tv iirc. just like any other console.
it still needs a pc though here's the vids
http://www.gametrailers.com/game/onlive/11029

Gman 101

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I can smell this as ultra fail in Australia... or any country with slow internet. I still don't understand how you can bypass latency and the laws of physics/relativity... meh, if they find out a way to go past the speed of light, then I'll be happy and stop complaining about latency.

nIxx

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Bladexdsl said:
.Radiant said:
Costello said:

it still needs a pc though here's the vids
http://www.gametrailers.com/game/onlive/11029

You don´t need a PC and just like a set-top box however you can stream the games to your PC too and the difference to another consoles is that the games are streamed so the the hardware of the set-top box doesn´t matter (no need to buy another BOX to play a newer game they just update the server hardware or on whatever the games are running).

Pretty similar to www.streammygame.com

o0ICE0o

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So you press a button on the remote, it sends this to the data center, it processes it, thn sends you hd video via the internet.

This is going to lag like hell.

Also, when the service dies from lack of users, the data center shuts down, you are left with a useless box and games that you have no physical coppy of.

Sounds like a winner!
smileipb2.png

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/eJV6GaIEgd4?si=ciLPnlhfd7XcrxQn