Considering PSP Repair

Discussion in 'PSP - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Prior22, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Prior22
    OP

Prior22 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 23, 2010
    United States
    I have a PSP with loose x and o buttons. Does anyone here happen to specialize in PSP repairs that could fix this issue? Any recommendations for repair sites would be appreciated too.

I also have a Nvidia Shield and have heard good things about the PSP emulator. Problem is the official compatibility listing doesn't include a lot of games. Would there happen to be a more up to date and complete listing of compatibility. If enough games run without glitching or slowdown I suppose I could consider simply using the Shield for PSP gameplay. Thanks.

2. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    How loose are the buttons? And do they still work fine? If they do indeed work fine, then there's no real worry yet (since they're designed not to fall out the front or anything). If you're very worried, it could just be worn out rubber button pads which are very easy to replace (and cheap, too).

Not sure what official compatibility listing you're referring to, since the one on their forums (http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=1473) has like a good 800 or so games on the list.

3. BORTZ

BORTZ "Another stunning Van Gogh"

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    When opening a PSP, do you take off the front or the back first? If its the front, you might have little trouble replacing the rubber pads, if its the back. Have fun with the UMD slot door thing.

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  4. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Last I knew, you just had to remove the face plate to get access to the rubber pads and that was it. Should be extremely easy and quick.

5. BORTZ

BORTZ "Another stunning Van Gogh"

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    Thats good. I know clamshell devices usually require you to start from the back, working your way up to the top. Like a DS. To replace the hinge, top screen, or speakers, you have to start at the very bottom.

Luckily the PSP is built the other way it seems.

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  6. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    My D-pad is bad too, but I don't know if I can fix it.
    When I press UP or DOWN, I can also press RIGHT ;(

Does it need replacement or just cleaning?
    I didn't try to open it yet. It's a PSP 2000.

Edit:
    Topic moved to PSP section.

7. idllotsaroms

idllotsaroms Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 9, 2012
    United States
    I used something like this video (not the exact same video) to guide me when I needed to replace my home bar, maybe it can help you.