Considering a DSTT.

Discussion in 'DSTT' started by San09, Aug 20, 2009.

Aug 20, 2009

Considering a DSTT. by San09 at 12:38 PM (2,375 Views / 0 Likes) 21 replies

1. San09
    OP

Newcomer San09 Newbie

United Kingdom
    I'm new here, so I might as well state why I'm here.

I finally recieved my AK2 from DX last week, but now the damn thing does not work! Yes, I've loaded the firmware and setted the files up etc. I'm used to doing things like this since I used do to the same with the PSP.

I've decided to get the AK2 because of users saying that it was one of the best budget card, firmware updates and so and so. So I got it.
    But now, as you may know, I'm extremely dissapointed that it does not work, I've sent DX an email, and they told me they will give me a refund, so I've sent it back.

Now, I'm considering I should just get something simple, VERY simple regardless of fw updates and stuff. I've been reading reviews. Cyclo DS is the best, isnt it? Well, I wouldnt need a cart like this; something simple which allows me to play DS games is fine. Only need to play a few games on the cart I wanna buy as well (say about.... 4).

the main reason why I'm considering the DSTT is that the sticky 'New DSTT Faq' really helped me out. All of the cons of the DSTT such as unable to change skins during use seemed to be fixed thanks to 3rd party developers who have made custom apps and software (correct me if I'm wrong, as I am new).

Before I purchase, I want your opinions on the cart, what Memory card you use, and how much stuff you have on it, and compare it to it's performance etc. Thanks to all who reply.

2. injected11

Member injected11 Crescent Fresh™

United States
    It's usually better to buy a card that is still officially supported.

3. rockstar99

Member rockstar99 Hi

Canada
    just get the ak2 replaced its way better than the dstt and dont buy any r4 clones as they are shit

4. elixirdream

Member elixirdream GBAtemp Legend

Malaysia
    i love DSTT but its just something else without the official support
    [​IMG]

5. Jakob95

Suspended Jakob95 I am the Avatar

United States
    Try getting the Acekard 2i again. Maybe your old one was bad?

6. benjaminlibl

Member benjaminlibl Funky Member

Singapore
    DSTT might be good for you.

Don't need all the bells and whistles that come with all the other carts, so it's perfect for me. However, it's not officially supported, and hasn't been for a long time. If unofficial updates stop coming out, DSTT users will be in trouble.

7. Chris_Skylock

Member Chris_Skylock GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Philippines
    get the acekard 2 again. you might have a bad card due to deected PCB or something. My ACekard 2.1 is shutting down but i managed to revived it and gave it to my cousin in the US when they visited my country.

8. KingdomBlade

Member KingdomBlade Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)

Philippines
    Actually, that program doesn't really work I think. But seriously, get an Acekard.

9. benjaminlibl

Singapore
    DSTT might be good for you.

I've had the DSTT for a month now? Haven't had any problems with it at all, aside from technical ones. I don't need all the bells and whistles that come with all the other carts, so it's perfect for me. However, it's not officially supported, and hasn't been for a long time. If unofficial updates stop coming out, DSTT users will be in trouble.

I'm using a 4g Sandisk memory stick(might be fake) and used quite a bit of space. If you're going to update your game list quite a bit, 4g is enough. But if you're going to bring everything on the go and want music and movies on it, you might wanna consider getting an 8g memory stick.

The ONLY issue I have with the DSTT is the menu. It's laggy, ugly and takes forever to go through. If you do decide to get the DSTT cart, I highly recommend using Moonshell 2 as your default firmware instead of the DSTT menu. There's alphabetical order, very smooth scrolling, and you can navigate through folders on the memory stick itself.

And I hate to contradict KingdomBlade but it DOES work. Pretty easy to set up too.

10. Pliskron

Banned Pliskron Banned

United States
    Why not get a DSTT? It's only five bucks. I have one with YSmenu and it's good. The Acekard has excellent rom compatibility but it really drives me nuts that they'll never ad RTS so the cyclo evo is the card I use.

11. San09
    OP

Newcomer San09 Newbie

United Kingdom
    Why, thanks for all the lightning fast replies guys. I think I'll just go with a DSTT for now, then consider getting another AceKard.

12. NeSchn

Member NeSchn GBAPimpdaddy.

United States
    I love the DSTT, I loved how simple the firmware was an such but it seems to have died on us and theres no official team supporting it [​IMG]

13. Bri

Member Bri GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    San09, I have both. The Acekard is much better. You aren't guaranteed of getting a working DSTT any more than you are of getting a working Acekard (I believe there are more bad DSTT's than Acekards reported).

-Bri

14. benjaminlibl

Singapore
    I have both as well. But I've always felt that the DSTT seems hardier than an Acekard.

15. Bri

Member Bri GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    The DSTT's shell is sturdier, particularly the older ones, because it is glued shut (the Acekard is held together with clips). However, you could glue an Acekard shut and it would probably be equally sturdy. Also, my Acekard has never broken (it's inside my DS most of the time). Meanwhile, the newest DSTT's have plastic microSD holders instead of metal (I've not heard of the plastic ones having problems, but I can't imagine they are more robust than the metal ones). Most of the problems with both flash carts have to do with it not making proper contact with the DS, and I've seen more reports about that problem with the DSTT than with the Acekard overall.

-Bri

16. monaug5

Member monaug5 GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Personally if u are now on a tight budget then i would recommend the dstt.

17. ninchya

Member ninchya GBAtemp Regular

United States
    it also depends if u have a dsi or dsl cause dstt is perfect for dsl i dont think the dstti has dsi1.4 unblocking on it.

18. lenselijer

Member lenselijer GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    the new type dstt are good, no spring in the slot anymore and very sturdy casing.

much better than acekard2

19. TodayiSawMyHeroF

Member TodayiSawMyHeroF GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The main reason why you buy a memory card is to play games on it. And thats what all the memory cards do. So if your considering to spend 40 dollars more on something thats basically the same then go ahead. The DSTT = cheapest memory card and i've had mine for 1 year now and it hasnt broke.

20. Valkart

Member Valkart GBAtemp Fan

Colombia
    I have a DSTT already, but now I got a Wii and Pokemon Battle Revolution, so, I want to transfer to do some battles via Wi-Fi. The DSTT don't work with the transfers... I got freezes on the DS.... so, I'm planning to change my flashcart. Acekard2 is good for this feature? Or which one do you suggest? Thanks.