Confused and Frustrated (R4DS)

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by vszeto, Oct 17, 2008.

Oct 17, 2008

Confused and Frustrated (R4DS) by vszeto at 9:31 PM (1,768 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. vszeto
    OP

Newcomer vszeto Newbie

Canada
    Hello,

I have a R4DS card which works on the older games and some newer games but most times it doesn't work on some of the new games. Everytime I dl a new game my DS keeps reading "Cannot read Data please reinsert card". Is it my R4 Card or is there a way I can bypass that?

2. MasterPenguin

Member MasterPenguin GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Yes. Do an ARM7 fix. Just use the search button, plug in How to ARM7 Fix, and you'll find several guides on how to do it.

3. Sephi

Member Sephi fool

United States
    Well, since the R4 team is 'dead' there will be no firmware updates, meaning no game fixes, some games can be fixed with the arm7 fix, using dsbuff, you can google the program to get it.

4. Vincent T

Member Vincent T GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    yeaa r4 is dead.. try buying some other top cards like the cyclo ds or ackard...

5. dogman

Member dogman GBAtemp Regular

Chile
    click here to go to the R4DS forum

Also, if you're sick of using an old firmware, try out YSMenu, which correctly supports most (if not all) games, and has correct cheat support (check out narin's thread for that).

Here's the most useful link in the forum: search

good luck

6. kobykaan

Member kobykaan GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom

YSMENU can only support whatever the TTDS firmware supports as YSMENU uses/runs on TTDS firmware as its loader games that do not currently work on TTDS will not work using YSMENU either!

and yes there ARE a couple of games that don't currently work with TTDS and need ARM7 patching too!

7. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    What I did was dual-boot the YSmenu and the official 1.18....I did this to hook up some kids I know who only have an R4 so they could still play whatever games they want since they have no clue about ARM7 fixing.

Initially, you'll boot the 1.18 firmware. But set up the YSmenu (there's a guide on how to set up YSmenu here on GBAtemp) and decrypt the _DS_MENU.DAT from the YSmenu loader and rename it _DS_MSHL.NDS....you can just rename the original _DS_MSHL.NDS from the R4 loader to simply Moonshell.nds and just load it through YSmenu since the R4's Moonshell icon will now be used for loading YSmenu. So when a game doesn't work in the 1.18 loader, you can reboot the R4 and select the middle icon to boot the YSmenu loader and try the game that way. Between the two loaders, one of them should play the problem game and you'll still retain all of the functionality you had with only the 1.18 loader.

The biggest drawback is that having 2 separate loaders, plus themes for the R4 loader and 2 separate cheat files (cheat.dat and usrcheat.dat in two separate folders) comes to about 32 megs total, which can be rough if you like to stuff your R4 full of games and other media, seeing as how you're limited to only 2gigs on an R4.

I don't know if there are any games that don't work on BOTH loaders, but it's an option to try if you don't want to use ARM7 fixes all the time....or at least it could cut down on the amount of games that you would need to do the ARM7 fix on.

8. dogman

Member dogman GBAtemp Regular

Chile
    yeah. as i said.. "most (if not all)". I never said 100%...

Personally, theres a game I play that needs and arm7 fix (worms open warfare 2) that without patching works ok on Ysmenu (some artifacts when saving, but works anyway). So... I dont think arm7 is the problem...

Anyways...

if you think that it might be an arm7 problem, check this thread: List of games that need the arm-7 fix. It has instructions on how to apply an arm7 fix too in the first post of the thread.

if nothing you do applying the arm7 fixes works, then it might be the firmware. Be sure to download the latest r4 firmware from GBAtemp downloads or from the Official R4 site.

If the official firmware still doesnt work, you might want to reformat your SD card with the Panasonic SD Formatter which might be downloaded from GBATemp or from panasonic.jp

If it still doesnt work out.. you might try to change your R4 for another one. There are a lot of options (and countless threads talking about it).