Hacking Confirming "one time setup" on 2.1.0 switch

curiousLiterature

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello, I've been out of touch with the scene for a while now. I've done some brief reading and wanted to confirm some things.

My current state:
I have a clean unpatched switch on version 2.1.0.

What I want:
  • A switch that can run custom firmware (and so allow me to play games which need the latest firmware).
  • A setup that's kind of like a "one and done", so that I can load up a game without any sort tinkering afterwards (even if I power off), this includes not needing a jig after initial setup.
  • Pure softmod (no dongles).
  • A setup that is least likely to get banned (while still satisfying the above).

What I think I should do:
  1. Install PegaScape (using the WiFi Authentication Prompt)
  2. Install Fake News Injector
  3. Configure Fake News to launch PegaScape (to avoid using the WiFi Authentication Prompt)
  4. Run PegaScape/Caffeine to reboot into Hekate.
  5. Backup my NAND and BIS keys
  6. Create an emuMMC
  7. Use ChoiDujourNX to update my emuMMC to the latest firmware that supports Caffeine (4.1.0?)
  8. Configure Hekate to "Auto boot" to Atmosphere (after having placed the Atmosphere payload on an SD card)

After that will I be able to do the following without any intermediate steps?
  1. Power off my Switch
  2. Power my Switch on and automatically boot to Atmosphere

I feel like I'm misunderstanding some things and that there are also likely some gaps in what I've said. I'd appreciate any clarifications.

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What I think I should do:
  1. Install PegaScape (using the WiFi Authentication Prompt)
  2. Install Fake News Injector
  3. Configure Fake News to launch PegaScape (to avoid using the WiFi Authentication Prompt)
  4. Run PegaScape/Caffeine to reboot into Hekate.
  5. Backup my NAND and BIS keys
  6. Create an emuMMC
  7. Use ChoiDujourNX to update my emuMMC to the latest firmware that supports Caffeine (4.1.0?)
  8. Configure Hekate to "Auto boot" to Atmosphere (after having placed the Atmosphere payload on an SD card)
Yeah, that'll work fine if you're wanting to use PegaScape/PegaSwitch. But you can update the emummc to the latest firmware (10.0.4 at the time of making this post) with no consequences.

After that will I be able to do the following without any intermediate steps?
  1. Power off my Switch
  2. Power my Switch on and automatically boot to Atmosphere

Autobooting into Atmosphere or whatever immediately is and will remain impossible without hardware modification, you'll have to rerun PegaScape/PegaSwitch or inject a payload through RCM every time you shutdown the console.

curiousLiterature

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah, that'll work fine if you're wanting to use PegaScape/PegaSwitch. But you can update the emummc to the latest firmware (10.0.4 at the time of making this post) with no consequences.

Autobooting into Atmosphere or whatever immediately is and will remain impossible without hardware modification, you'll have to rerun PegaScape/PegaSwitch or inject a payload through RCM every time you shutdown the console.

I want to be able to load Atmosphere after a cold boot, without too much work. Let's say I've installed the Fake News Injector. After I power down, will I need to do anything special to power up my Switch? If I don't need to do anything special, will I be able to launch Fake News to run Caffeine and then to boot into Hekate, and from there boot into Atmosphere?

I don't properly understand how the emuMMC gets launched. If I power off the Switch and then power it back on, would I still be using the emuMMC or will I be using the sysNAND?

If I update the emuMMC to the latest firmware, will I still be able to run PegaScape without a jig?

Am I right in understanding that I don't need a jig if I don't go over 4.1.0?

You can update to 10.0.4 without burning fuses by installing AutoRCM, instead of using an emuMMC.

My understanding was that using an emuMMC could help avoid getting the console banned. Since I could keep my sysNAND clean and update only the emuMMC to a later version?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My understanding was that using an emuMMC could help avoid getting the console banned. Since I could keep my sysNAND clean and update only the emuMMC to a later version?
If you have a clean NAND backup, it doesn't really matter what you do to the sysNAND, as long as connections to Nintendo's services are blocked using Incognito or 90DNS. If you wanted to do online play later, you could transfer your dirty sysNAND to an emuNAND, and then you could restore your clean NAND backup to your sysNAND.

In other words, if you don't mind having AutoRCM installed, it's a much more convenient way of keeping your fuse count low than using an emuNAND.

It should also be noted that fuse count isn't important if you don't mind using the RCM exploit for the rest of the Switch's life.

Last edited by Lacius,

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Using an emuMMC is good for people who want both a CFW and a safe way of playing online/accessing eShop. But in your situation, if you insist on using Pegascape, you're limited to a sysNAND firmware no higher than 4.1.0, so that means no online for you. If you go for fusée gelée instead (the RCM exploit), then you could update all the way to the latest on sysNAND, therefore opening online access for you, while still allowing you to fool around with your CFW emuNAND, which you should never use online, of course. If you don't like the thought of using a jig, you have a few options, such as using autoRCM, or never shutting off the console (always sleep mode), or even modify your right joy-con to replace the jig entirely.

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want to be able to load Atmosphere after a cold boot, without too much work. Let's say I've installed the Fake News Injector. After I power down, will I need to do anything special to power up my Switch? If I don't need to do anything special, will I be able to launch Fake News to run Caffeine and then to boot into Hekate, and from there boot into Atmosphere?

I don't properly understand how the emuMMC gets launched. If I power off the Switch and then power it back on, would I still be using the emuMMC or will I be using the sysNAND?

If I update the emuMMC to the latest firmware, will I still be able to run PegaScape without a jig?

Am I right in understanding that I don't need a jig if I don't go over 4.1.0?

You won't need to do anything special to power it back on, and you will be able to run Fake News (assuming you have an internet connection ofc)

The system will never normally boot into emummc, only CFW can boot into the emummc.

Yes, as the system will still boot into your 2.1.0 sysmmc if you shutdown and turn it back on, where you'll be able to run PegaScape.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night