Hacking [Confirmed] New Firmware update 5pm PDT

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
Didn't say it would affect it (As in block it), I honestly thought that all this R4I save dongle could do was backup your save & replace it lol. From reading your post I thought that it would make it pointless to buy it now because you could do it officially via this update from Nintendo. Seems that this R4I save dongle can do a little more.

My bad, My misunderstanding, Thats all.

yea lol
was trying to clear up convo for other people that read it

Nintendo's is only 1 way tho
so say you bought it digitally cheaper you could transfer save and sell on cart but keep your save
but it doesnt go the other way

Reactions: BIFFTAZ

DiabloStorm

Anti-Semantic Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
(or some variant... who even knows anymore)
That's why I think they're crap, there are so many of them and most of them don't even work anymore, people behind all the R4s like to release crap carts that can't be updated so they can force you to buy a completely new one, I'd rather distance myself from that type of shit altogether so I ignore anything with R4 on it completely...it makes things a whole lot simpler.

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's why I think they're crap, there are so many of them and most of them don't even work anymore, people behind all the R4s like to release crap carts that can't be updated so they can force you to buy a completely new one, I'd rather distance myself from that type of shit altogether so I ignore anything with R4 on it completely...it makes things a whole lot simpler.

Well, it just seems a little extreme to make a blanket statement like that regarding anything that has "R4" in the name. There are going to be knock-offs of any successful product.

I can't really comment on the cart updates side of things, as I never had to do it, but I believe (I may be wrong) that the 2 newer variants supported by Wood all have a mechanism in place to be updated.

How is the DSTWO, though? I figured that with all the specialized hardware it included, and with the company that made the card being the only people who support it, it may be buggy/behind other carts in stability or features. To my understanding, wasn't the GBA emulator kind of horrible for a long time?

DiabloStorm

Anti-Semantic Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Well, it just seems a little extreme to make a blanket statement like that regarding anything that has "R4" in the name. There are going to be knock-offs of any successful product.

I can't really comment on the cart updates side of things, as I never had to do it, but I believe (I may be wrong) that the 2 newer variants supported by Wood all have a mechanism in place to be updated.

How is the DSTWO, though? I figured that with all the specialized hardware it included, and with the company that made the card being the only people who support it, it may be buggy/behind other carts in stability or features. To my understanding, wasn't the GBA emulator kind of horrible for a long time?
There is no knock-off DSTWO, they regularly update (which is what I'm waiting for now, nothing out of the ordinary come new firmware) The GBA emulator is constantly being worked on and improved right here on this site (along with it's SNES emulator thanks to Nebuleon). DSTWO>any R4 in my opinion, it offers more and they don't have a reputation of going completely useless thus forcing you to buy a completely new cart, whether or not the R4 you have does that, I'm happy enough with my decision that it would be a waste of time trying to keep up with what r4s are dead and which aren't.

stephysanrio

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well its only obvious something like this was going to happen. And is only obvious is better to not update to keep it on the safe side IF you care about using flashcarts/or have on to use.

NickTorn

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sent a semi-snarky email:

I understand that a new firmware was released today for the Nintendo 3DS. Is your card compatible with this new firmware and if it is not, are you preparing an update to fix compatibility or will this card only work on 5.0 and never be updated?
Thanks
Will see what they say. I bet their inbox is exploding now.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
umm.. lucky of you... here in México, games are about $60 dollars... :S that's expensive... and the price in the eShop is the same as the retail stores... u,u

try using canadian e-shop.
It works fine for me, and is a lot cheaper than $60.

DiabloStorm

Anti-Semantic Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Sent a semi-snarky email:

I understand that a new firmware was released today for the Nintendo 3DS. Is your card compatible with this new firmware and if it is not, are you preparing an update to fix compatibility or will this card only work on 5.0 and never be updated?
Thanks
Will see what they say. I bet their inbox is exploding now.
They're peppering their angus. Basically they just sent everyone a copy/pasted response in a single batch, if they can't fix the cart around the same time the other teams have updated theirs and post some sort of proof then it's pretty much done for.

Reactions: :-infern:

totalnoob617

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Trying to get the jump on gateway

it would be really funny if ninty rushed out a fw update to try and block the gateway3ds and ended up putting out a rushed fw with an exploit that leads to a softmod
even funnier if it didnt block gateway on top of it

and what do they mean" do system transfer between two 3ds" we already had that feature'
also what are the "new camera features" ?

DiabloStorm

Anti-Semantic Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
it would be really funny if ninty rushed out a fw update to try and block the gateway3ds and ended up putting out a rushed fw with an exploit that leads to a softmod
even funnier if it didnt block gateway on top of it

and what do they mean" do system transfer between two 3ds" we already had that feature'
also what are the "new camera features" ?
Given how buggy people are reporting it is, I would say it was rushed.

shadow1w2

Still here.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't use a flash cart yet myself, waiting for an NDS / 3DS flash cart and hopefully a healthy home brew scene. (virtual boy emu YEEAH!)
Really wish they would make a proper 3DS / DS cart backup system though.
Used to use a great DS cart backup homebrew tool way back when before my DS flashcarts died.

I've noticed no Mii Plaza updates of any sort though but I'm glad this update at least came with a feature. (that I could use easily enough backing up on my PC but its still nice)

Still waiting for icon and color changing for folders. Plus maybe a way to set a background.
They should really do things like that before the hacking scene finds a way and makes hacking look very favorable.

Edit:
I've yet to run into bugs yet myself but ya, Nintendo has a history of making things worse with rushed updates. Always best to be wary. Wish they'd take updates more seriously, I mean its not like they do them often or anything.

Intentional

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've looked all over and can't seem to find anyone discussing this part of the new update:
The following, which were included within previous system updates, are not included with system menu versions 6.0.0-0U through 6.0.0-1U:
  • System Transfer from a Nintendo DSi or Nintendo DSi XL system
What? Am I reading this correctly? Did they really take away the ability to transfer my games from my DSi XL to my 3DS? I haven't done the transfer yet, but I find it hard to believe that they would take it away from us.

shadow1w2

Still here.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hacking is always favorable. Anyway, while I agree, even if they did enable that kind of thing it'd be limited to family friendly stuff, not complete customization hacking would enable :tpi:

Yes Hacking is always great, but customization can be very appealing to many users.
If Nintendo supplied it they could keep some hacking friendly users staying legit since well, hacking would just to back end stuff anyway.

I have to disagree with you on the family friendly stuff though.
You try Animal Crossing New Leaf yet?
Ya, you can customize furniture and import QR card patterns.
So pretty much there's no block against indecent images on your furniture besides low resolution.
Though they do ask very nicely to play nice and keep it clean which seems to be working well so far.

So ya, an image background wouldn't hurt.
However I'd really just be fine with color changing at the least. Would seem easy to do. (Though I'd love to make some custom icons for folders xD)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Did you feed the hamster in your internet router? It prob died and is running slow now.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, why did you start saying my pc has a hamster in the first place?
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its actua!ly just a old joke, meaning its slow. Was just kidding around with you.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I bet @AncientBoi has some hamsters hidden somewhere tho....
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I think Game streaming should work like this.... Local Hardware able the run the game fine, game engine and common assets stored locally, all FMV and music and textures could be streaming
    +1
    Some temporary storage
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also @BigOnYa im making some progress on my gdevelop project, implemented various mechanics
    They went all in on streaming, should have been more of a hybrid approach
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or free government supplied high speed internet be nice also. Like Obama care. Xdqwerty that's cool, its time consuming but rewarding once done or playable, to see what you've made from scratch. Animations take forever, but worth it.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, although the bullets are a bit buggy
    +1
    Not to mention this would be a massive pain to pirate
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa,
    and the visual aspect of the game is quite crude (the sprite that looks best is that of the protagonist just because he is a stickman with sunglasses)
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    There is a bullets behaviour you assign to your character, that makes the code easier, under "behaviours"
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i meant that when the character is pointing to the right, the bullets spawn where they should, but when he is on the right, they move to the right but the spawn point is incorrect
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Itch.io has lots of free assets also. Under the bullets behavior tab, there is a "rotate bullets" option, can try that. Or in the code can try
    - fire bullet Player.X(PlayerDirection)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    im taking a break for today anyway
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    YEa gotta after a while, looking at code for long periods will bug your eyes.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That's cool tho, I'm proud of you going back to it, not giving up. It is difficult at first to learn, but fun once you get the hang of it. I think I've watched every tutorial video there is, but I still struggle sometimes to get stuff to work right. But gotta keep trying dif things, and eventually you will get it right.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol McDonald's has a grandma mcflurry
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, furry grandma?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    It sounds good actually, I like butterscotch
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It sucked don't know wtf these little bits and pieces are they use now
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It sucked don't know wtf these little bits and pieces are they use now