MrSlippery

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Greetings everyone,

I have recently installed the HBC on my Wii, and so far, everything has been working beautifully. Now, I am ready to try out the Configurable Backup Loader, but I seem to be running into a few problems I was hoping I could get some help with.

From what I understand, the my External HDD must be formatted to FAT for the loader to run. I'm using Vista, and the only thing I can format it to is exFAT. Will this work, or will I need to get a third party app to make it FAT?

Also, I used Vista's disc manager to partition my HDD. It's 500 GB, and I don't want to allocate 500 GB solely for this ONE purpose. I was thinking 150GB would be enough. Anyway, I read a few articles and watched some tutorials, but something seems to be wrong when I partition my HDD. I partition 150 GB of my 500 GB HDD, and when I open it up in My Computer, I see my External HDD with 350 GB of free space. The partitioned 150 GB seems to have disappeared, and I'm not sure where it is.

Anyway, it's currently NTFS (by default), and I was wondering if I should just go ahead and make it exFAT. THEN could I partition it?

I'm new to this, and I'm trying to solve this on my own, but in the mean time, I thought I would seek the advice from the experts. Thanks again for any help,

Slip

Smash58

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello

exFAT is basically FAT64. Windows wont allow you to format a disk/partition larger then 64gigs with anything less. You must use a 3rd party program.

And I'm guessing you didnt assign a drive letter to your new partition and thats why you can find it. If your using disk tools or whatever its called in admin tool to make your partitions then right click the 150gb and you should see something like assign a drive letter

MrSlippery

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Smash58 said:
Hello

exFAT is basically FAT64. Windows wont allow you to format a disk/partition larger then 64gigs with anything less. You must use a 3rd party program.

And I'm guessing you didnt assign a drive letter to your new partition and thats why you can find it. If your using disk tools or whatever its called in admin tool to make your partitions then right click the 150gb and you should see something like assign a drive letter

Thanks for the reply, Smash. However, I still have some questions/issues:

Question the first: Can you recommend a 3rd party partitioning program, preferably one that's user friendly? There are a lot to choose from, and I seem to already be in over my head.

Question/Issue the second: You're right, I didn't assign a letter to my new partition, but I don't see an option to do that anywhere. If I click on the 350 GB portion of the 500 GB HDD, there's a 'Change drive letter/paths" options, but when I click on the recently partitioned 150 GB (that I want to use for my games), the only option, other than properties is, 'New Simple Volume,' and I have no idea what to do with that.

Question the third. Would it be advisable to format the entire HDD to FAT before trying to partition a section of it? Or, would it maybe be better to just format the partitioned 150 GB section to FAT?

Thanks again. I genuinely appreciate your help,

Slip

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I think Switch 2 will launch about Christmas this year lol