Gaming [concept] VC games as an app with more roms available as DLC?

Futurdreamz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Here's my idea for how the Switch should handle VC titles. It may be too late because we already have Neo Geo games, but here goes anyways.

The Wii U, Wii, and 3DS handles VC titles by selling each other individually. Every single game is wrapped inside an emulator, taking up space and costing more money.

I propose that Nintendo moves to this model:
Buy the Emulator, which comes with a selection of the most popular games for that console. You can purchase additional games for much cheaper as DLC, and then the roms would be downloaded and played in the game.

Advantages:
It makes it much more clear that the money goes towards the development of the emulator
Less storage space is used up by the library, since only one copy of the emulator is needed
the individual games can possibly be cheaper
All your VC titles don't bloat up your home screen
Most importantly: the DLC should be transferrable to new consoles that have the emulator purchased

Disadvantages:
A little bit more cost up front (maybe $10 for a NES emulator and $40 for a Gamecube emulator?), but possibly MUCH cheaper in the long run - especially if DLC is transferrable
You'd have to launch the emulator first to play the games, which really isn't that much of a hassle - but you might be able to pin the specific game to the home screen to launch it directly.

Thoughts?

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
heh, sega follows a similair model in steam.
you can buy the old genesis\mega drive games, the first game you buy you get the emulator with the game in it, then the other games you add, will be added to the emulator..

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

especially if DLC is transferrable
you ask to much.. you didn't get any transfers between the wii, 3ds, wii u etc..
you can system transfer from a wii to a wii u, but only with the excuse that the wii u has a wii inside..

Reactions: The Stormcloak Lion

spiralshadow123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought the reason that each game is wrapped in its own emulator is because each game needs to run a specific way? I remember someone (maybe from this forum, I don't remember) explaining how using different emulators for each game ensures better accuracy and compatibility than if it were to use one emulator for all of them.

Risingdawn

Tempallica
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I thought the reason that each game is wrapped in its own emulator is because each game needs to run a specific way? I remember someone (maybe from this forum, I don't remember) explaining how using different emulators for each game ensures better accuracy and compatibility than if it were to use one emulator for all of them.
This sounds highly likely, if you look at most homebrew emulators they have alot of variable options for fine tuning towards a perfectly emulated game. By including each game with it's own emulator it allows all those options to be set exactly as each game needs for a near perfect emulation.

MichiS97

"Leftist snowflake milennial"
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This sounds highly likely, if you look at most homebrew emulators they have alot of variable options for fine tuning towards a perfectly emulated game. By including each game with it's own emulator it allows all those options to be set exactly as each game needs for a near perfect emulation.
Well Nintendo could use some config files for each game that the user doesn't see. So they could basically distribute games as a ROM + said config file

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That wouldnt work for the people who just wanna play one game.
I have been saying tho that nintendo should pack the VC into an app tho.
It would cut down on having 100s of game icons due to having all the VC.

Reactions: Saiyan Lusitano
S

Saiyan Lusitano

That wouldnt work for the people who just wanna play one game.
I have been saying tho that nintendo should pack the VC into an app tho.
It would cut down on having 100s of game icons due to having all the VC.
In that case they could allow either or.

MasterPeter

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Games that should be on the Switch Virtual Console
- Every Single Sega Master System Games (Even Unlicensed & Rom Hacks)
- The Smurfs (SNES)
- Mickey Mouse - Castle of Illusion (Genesis)
- Duck Tales (NES)
- The Smurfs - The Revenge of The Smurfs (GBA)
- Sonic 3 Complete (Genesis Hack)
- Every Single Megaman NES Rom Hack
- Zool (SNES)
- The Smurfs - Travel the World (SNES)
- Mickey Mouse - World of Illusion (Genesis)
- Rockman & Forte (SNES)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-