Computer wont turn on

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Maplemage, Jun 9, 2010.

Jun 9, 2010

Computer wont turn on by Maplemage at 11:23 PM (670 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. Maplemage
    OP

Member Maplemage ಠ_ಠ

Antarctica
    My bro was turning his computer on and a few minutes later it turns off. It kept on happening now when he turns it on it just has a black screen and nothing happens. Any help on how to fix it?

Edit: It seems that when I click enter I can enter startup repair but it turns off randomly.

2. 67birdman

Member 67birdman GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    I had a problem like that too, I think its your MBR..
    You need like your Windows CD, boot into it and fixMBR.
    Google that, I don't remember how to do that.

3. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    First step I suggest - clear CMOS. If your motherboard doesn't feature a clear CMOS button/jumper, then just remove the tablet battery from the motherboard and leave it for an hour (a day is ideal, but sometimes 5 minutes also works). This'll reset BIOS settings and hopefully clear any corruption it may get.

Second step is to remove parts. Reduce the system to just the motherboard, 1 stick of RAM, the CPU and the PSU (and a GFX card if it doesn't have an integrated GPU). No drives or USB devices at all. If it stays stable for, say, 10 minutes, then start plugging things back in one by one (main drive first, to see if Windows loads, then extra RAM, etc). This step has somehow fixed many computers I've handled which don't start up or shut down randomly (although some did have to RMA).

While you're at it, you should also look at the capacitors around the CPU socket and see if any of them look bulging or even blown. It's not likely and I've never seen it happen, but apparantly it happens to a lot of people and is a sign that the power phasing on the motherboard has failed. Otherwise, it may be a PSU failure (one or more of the 12V rails, if it has more than one, may have failed and no longer produce a stable output).

One more possibility is a corruption in the boot sector in the drive, but that tends to just randomly reset whilst Windows is loading, not shut down. Shutdowns indicate a power failure most likely.

4. tigris

Member tigris Sentient Existential Anthropomorphic Sweet Potato

United Kingdom
    Buy a new one, to put it bluntly.

5. scrtmstr

Member scrtmstr GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    there is a chance you've fried your motherboard. Happend to me once, and the computer would do exactly the same. When we inserted the repair disk, it started repairing but it would just shut down halfway through.

You'll probably need to buy a new pc or get a new motherboard and build one with the old parts.