Trophies
Website
randomgaming.tk
XP
Country
Canada
I normally dont' view these forums but i'm in need of some help
happy.gif

I tried osx 7.1 on my ds, really hard to get working, harder still because I like %90 of people around don't have a macintosh computer, espically a 10+ year old apple computer
dry.gif

I tried:

GEOSDS: no r4 support, really want to try it, needs dldi.
Windows DS: a really simple and pointless port of a windows-like ds enviornment, apparently made for the gba.
OSX for DS: just too hard to do (i spent awhile trying and unless I find a .rar or installer that gives me a full install of it, i ive -up)

any others I should try that work on an r4? its christmas time and I want to accomplish something
smile.gif

thanks for any replies and Merry christmas!

iritegood

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Why do you need an OS-like environment for the DS?
You 'tried osx 7.1' on your ds?
blink.gif

I have no idea what you're trying to accomplish, and it sounds really pointless to me.

Beware

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It isn't OSX 7.1, it is OS 7.1. VERY different. And why are you bothering with OSes for your DS? Just because you can or what? Anyways, I suggest DSLinux. It's the only decent OS for DS.

vapour99

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
randomgaming.tk
XP
Country
Canada
hey, I just wanted to try an os, nothing wrong with that. not like every post in this forum has to point to something productive...

would be kinda cool to have an old os running, GEOSDS look ed promising but didn't support dldi...

DS liux is hard unless you know linux
tongue.gif

HBK

Clover - Fearless to Speak Now. ;)
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
You could always download Styx and get a TOS image. The Atari ST emulation isn't too bad. What exactly is it you want to use the OS for? There's no DS specific OS that lets you load DS games or anything.

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just thought I would throw DS Organize in there as it possesses reasonable file system manipulation some decent stuff built in and if you are lucky the ability to launch code.

Should you add in stuff like the DLDI port for the DS, scandisk tools and a bunch of other standalone stuff (have a look around GBAdev for the wifi tools) you could come up with a pretty close approximation to an OS.
Quite in fact that sounds like a good project for me to have a look at one day.

1c3d3m0n

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
/crap
Im using Windows Vienna on my DS.
/end crap

Hmm, let's say tthat there were to be a GUI OS for NDS, what feature would there possible be? NDS is a gaming device, there's nothing much to do with it, or so I think.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DS liux is hard unless you know linuxÂ
tongue.gif

No, it really isn't. It's about as hard as using a command line. There's even an X-Windows project.

I really don't know what's the point. The PSP can hardly boot Windows 95 (takes around 12 minutes to boot), let alone the DS. What do you want next? Vista on your DS?
wacko.gif
As someone stated, X-windows is not Windows. It's just a GUI project. As for the point of using DSLinux, consider that I use it for the following purposes:
1. Very fast text-based web browser with more features than the other homebrew browsers, including the ability to save pages to your card, download files to your card, use tabbed browsing of sorts, split two webpages across the screen, etc.
2. Multi-tasking - open a web browser in one virtual terminal, press Alt+F2 to open a second and start an IRC client. Press Alt-F3 to open the third and use it for other commands, like unzipping and DLDI patching the files you just downloaded with the web browser.
3. Zip/Unzip tools
4. DLDI patcher with the port of dlditool
5. Filesystem management with regular commands (mv for move/rename, cp for copy, etc)
6. Vi text editor
7. Hex editor
8. Basic MP3 playing with madplay

There are tons of other uses as well. You can SSH to another Linux box and control it remotely. Sonny_jim even ported a bittorrent client to DSLinux, though I haven't tried it out.

The GUI leaves a lot to be desired at the moment, though it's kinda fun to toy with. It's got an additional web browser with graphics support, though it takes forever to render.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Like for micro