Gaming Computer Help

random530

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK so my cpu is trippin! when i try to boot up, it will say the "start windows normally" or "safe mode" and all that stuff. then when i pick one of them it will start loading then restart itself! any suggestions? by the way its windows xp pro

XWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
Do you have the original disk?

Best bet is to use a Linux Live CD or Linux on a usb stick (www.pendrivelinux.com), boot and back up all your stuff then format the drive and re-install windows.

Or just install Linux instead.

Javier78

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When you fix your computer, you might want to install this:http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed

For now, check and see if it's a hard drive problem by booting into linux with a live CD. Or do what Rydian said.

Dagatahas

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Rydian said:
Woah, severe lack of troubleshooting here.

Press F8 to bring up that menu manually and then choose "disable automatic restart on system failure" so it displays the BSOD instead of restarting to hide it, then either google the error codes or post them here.

+1

That's the only way to go for an unknown restart loop in all modes.

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
ProtoKun7 said:
Ooh, we had that a while back...I hate that. Sounds like there could be a bad area in your boot sector.
bad area? OH NO!! MEAN STRANGERS!!

and yes, if you're BSoDing, you should at least try reading one of the dumps (if you can access files on HD), or disabling the reboot on crash option (see rydian post) and looking up the error code/s.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Antoligy said:
ProtoKun7 said:
Ooh, we had that a while back...I hate that. Sounds like there could be a bad area in your boot sector.
bad area? OH NO!! MEAN STRANGERS!!
Gremlins in the drive.
ninja.gif

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
DQScott95 said:
My friend had the same problem the only way i really know if is to get you comp wiped or reinstall windows

That entirely depends on how bad the problem is. If it's a bad boot sector, it may be possible to repair with the standard checkdisk tools. If important boot files are corrupt or lost, then a re-install will be necessary.

If it's a hardware fault (which happens in rare cases), then re-installing will do nothing to help.

But in any case, the best way to find out what's wrong is to do as mentioned - supress automatic restart on errors, then look at what the BSoD tells you (or just take a picture and have more informed people translate for you). However if, as mentioned, it's already been fixed, then it can also be useful to look at the dump files to know what exact went wrong and how likely it is going to happen again.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att is displaying prices like it's an ingredients list now lol