Computer games vs video games. What term do you use?

MockyLock

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Well, there is a clear distinction between playing on a console and playing on a computer.
So, if you happen to speak with someone about video games, he'll for sure ask you if you're referring console or computer.
"Videogames" tends to include both console and computer.

@FAST6191 Thre's a good question, as to know if a console is a dedicated computer. I think that most people consider that a computer (or "ordinateur" in french) is the common combo of screen/mouse/keyboard/case used for multiple purpose, including gaming.

Then, it can be complicated to classify some hardware.

For exemple, the Philips Videopac :
videopac01.jpg

It has a keyboard, but it's considered as a console.

The NEC PC-FX :
250px-PC-FX-Console-Set.jpg

It looks like a computer case, but it's a console.

The Famicom Basic :
nintendo_family-computers_1.jpg

It adds a keyboard to a console to use it like a computer...

EDIT : i was just thinking of this funny picture :
fb_img_1604477801231-jpg.232643

Last edited by MockyLock,
Reactions: Alexander1970

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well, there is a clear distinction between playing on a console and playing on a computer.
So, if you happen to speak with someone about video games, he'll for sure ask you if you're referring console or computer.
"Videogames" tends to include both console and computer.

@FAST6191 Thre's a good question, as to know if a console is a dedicated computer. I think that most people consider that a computer (or "ordinateur" in french) is the common combo of screen/mouse/keyboard/case used for multiple purpose, including gaming.

Then, it can be complicated to classify some hardware.

For exemple, the Philips Videopac :
c52.jpg

It has a keyboard, but it's considered as a console.

The NEC PCE-FX :
250px-PC-FX-Console-Set.jpg

It looks like a computer case, but it's a console.

The Famicom Basic :
nintendo_family-computers_1.jpg

It adds a keyboard to a console to use it like a computer...

These days show me screenshots and gameplay of random games and the only way I might tell is on screen button prompts on screen or maybe if I pay attention to on screen movement in a first person game (movement styles with mouse vs controller are rather different, stick a pad on PC and I am left debating the extent of auto aim on any given PC game).

I would still also go back to things like the commodore 64.

Almost all of them would be used on a TV, control pad/joystick/joypad was optional, you can happily write your own code (indeed it is the first thing you are presented with after control is given to you), it was used extensively (often exclusively, or exclusively plus "I can use it to do my homework") for games during its lifetime and even after the NES et al came out they were still the poor man's choice for games for several years after that.

This "you can only play what we deem allowable with inputs we deem acceptable unless you are a filthy hacker" concept is a newer one than things what you plug into your TV* that also happen to play games (at the same time often representing gaming as a whole for that timespan). For a while there were power differences that made an appreciable difference (prior to the mid 90s rise of 3d cards on PC then PCs being on the weaker end of things -- ID software having a fairly notable thing when they somewhat invented side scrolling on PC).

*granted the distinction between TV and monitor gets very blurry back in the day, and today... VGA in has been a thing for possibly 15 years at this point and HDMI not much less. Go looking at "back in the day" writings and you will find many on the PC side of things look unfavourably towards microsoft et al for downplaying TV out or legibility of later versions of DOS on TV screens.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
USA - Pacific Northwest area. Video games mostly, but as computers got better in the late 90's, computer gaming really took off with online MMOs and FPS games on PC.

D

Deleted User

If I'm playing the game on the PC I'm calling it computer game. If it's on console I'm calling it video game. I Never heard in my life that someone called for example God of war a computer game.

Reactions: Jayro

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If I'm playing the game on the PC I'm calling it computer game. If it's on console I'm calling it video game. I Never heard in my life that someone called for example God of war a computer game.
I on the other hand had at least never consciously heard of anybody making the PC (or possibly "home computer" back before the boring takeover of X86 and Windows when things were a bit more variable) = computer games, consoles = video games distinction. It was always a regional thing for me much like bonnet-hood, boot-trunk, fizzy drink-soda, chips-fries, crisps-chips... However hearing several UK peeps use the term video games made me wonder if we were having a curse of Sesame Street all over again (quite a few teachers in the UK will lament having to correct kids that Z is pronounced zed and not zee if they had the parent by TV approach in their more formative years).

Deathwing Zero

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
If you're waiting for Canadians, then I'll help you on that front. Where I'm from in Canada they are called Video Games, however, ever since I got my first NES I've always just called them games. And I still do today. Technically, computer games would be correct in all situations since even consoles are computers. Yes even the Game & Watch from too many decades ago would be a computer. Just more specifically focused on playing games, or a game in the case of Game & Watch or something like Tiger Electronics LCD games. These days consoles are more PC/Mac like than they used to be, what with their fancy UI crap and XBOX's hilarious focus on TV/Sports that one generation. I suppose with them using SoC's they're a bit more like phones with more of a focus on playing games.

Anyway... tangent aside, if I were to use a full name I personally would go with computer game as to me, video game sounds more like one of those board games that used to come with a VHS that you need to use to play the game. I believe those existed in the DVD era as well. Do they still make stuff like that?

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you're waiting for Canadians, then I'll help you on that front. Where I'm from in Canada they are called Video Games, however, ever since I got my first NES I've always just called them games. And I still do today. Technically, computer games would be correct in all situations since even consoles are computers. Yes even the Game & Watch from too many decades ago would be a computer. Just more specifically focused on playing games, or a game in the case of Game & Watch or something like Tiger Electronics LCD games. These days consoles are more PC/Mac like than they used to be, what with their fancy UI crap and XBOX's hilarious focus on TV/Sports that one generation. I suppose with them using SoC's they're a bit more like phones with more of a focus on playing games.

Anyway... tangent aside, if I were to use a full name I personally would go with computer game as to me, video game sounds more like one of those board games that used to come with a VHS that you need to use to play the game. I believe those existed in the DVD era as well. Do they still make stuff like that?

I am still finding this "computer = PC" notion to be a new one but more for the pile of it being a thing.

There is some debate over whether the game and watch and some things like it are computers in the sense that they are have some ability to do the whole Turing complete thing. Indeed some even argue that you don't emulate them as much as simulate them as they are basically just a chain of logic gates rather than anything like a general purpose processor/CPU.

Anyway I have not paid attention to the DVD games market (interactive DVDs being a term some use) since the end of DVD. I imagine something exists but at the same time blu ray did add a measure of straight up Java support (the PS3 even used it to run a few emulators way early on) so you do have a true computer there vs VHS which was go to this timestamp to have this trivial pursuit question play or DVD which was usually a very complicated form of menu, or better means of selecting a video question.

On multimedia abilities then I would note the PS2's DVD player was rather a notable selling point (PS1's CD player not particularly lacking in prominence either) and oft stated reason for the demise of the Dreamcast. As far as fancy UI then I am not sure I am inclined to make much of a distinction or view it as a radical step away from where things largely were heading. Go back to things with demos and multi game carts... sure you are shifting the location of the menu, and maybe there is more animation as time goes on, but the end result still looks and behaves the same.

Reactions: Nobody_Important4u
D

Deleted User

I just call it games. If it's for PC then it's PC games, and console as Console games. Pretty simple.

No big deal.

Reactions: Metal64

RubyOtaku

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
When I was little I used to say computer games and probably when I was around 12 or so I started saying video games.

amrecripton

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
These days show me screenshots and gameplay of random games and the only way I might tell is on screen button prompts on screen or maybe if I pay attention to on screen movement in a first person game (movement styles with mouse vs controller are rather different, stick a pad on PC and I am left debating the extent of auto aim on any given PC game).

I would still also go back to things like the commodore 64.

Almost all of them would be used on a TV, control pad/joystick/joypad was optional, you can happily write your own code (indeed it is the first thing you are presented with after control is given to you), it was used extensively (often exclusively, or exclusively plus "I can use it to do my homework") for games during its lifetime and even after the NES et al came out they were still the poor man's choice for games for several years after that.

This "you can only play what we deem allowable with inputs we deem acceptable unless you are a filthy hacker" concept is a newer one than things what you plug into your TV* that also happen to play games (at the same time often representing gaming as a whole for that timespan). For a while there were power differences that made an appreciable difference (prior to the mid 90s rise of 3d cards on PC then PCs being on the weaker end of things -- ID software having a fairly notable thing when they somewhat invented side scrolling on PC). I usually download video games at this website. It's a quite fast and comforrtable site.

*granted the distinction between TV and monitor gets very blurry back in the day, and today... VGA in has been a thing for possibly 15 years at this point and HDMI not much less. Go looking at "back in the day" writings and you will find many on the PC side of things look unfavourably towards microsoft et al for downplaying TV out or legibility of later versions of DOS on TV screens.

Interesting thoughts. I agree with you

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte