Gaming Computer busted

metron

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well my computer (the one I had all my work on. M3 Sakura skins, etc.) Wont work anymore. So unless that computer gets fixed I'll have to start all over on the skin I was making. and I lost all the files and images I had of my M3 Sakura skins. Wich means I cant update them anymore unless I start completely over. (sorry to the 2 people who had asked for requests. Im gonna have to start over, so its gonna be a bit longer before they are done)
frown.gif

legendofphil

Phil no Densetsu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If you turn it on straight away after it turns itself off does it get to the same point?

Put your hard drive in another PC and you should be able to recover the files easily enough.

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
NPmetron said:
not rly sure whats wrong. but when it starts up itll get up to the login screen and then it just shuts it self off

My PC used to shut down randomly all the time, turned out my power supply had failed. It used to switch off occasionally once in a while then one day before it would boot it would just pop off. Not saying thats whats wrong with yours but you might want to check it as a possibility. You got any more info? Do you get blue screen or anything like that?

metron

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What happens is a black screen will show up. then some words will appear for no more than like a second, so i dont have time to read them. any clue whats wrong? cuz the computer im using now is slow as crap and rly kinda sux. its rly old.

legendofphil

Phil no Densetsu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Generally Windows (assuming you are using Windows) gives a black screen on boot if there is a missing file, but that's usually whilst its booting.

EDIT: It usually doesn't turn itself off either.

p1ngpong

Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
So let me get this straight.

You turn it on.

You see your BIOS screen and it does its POST test.

The windows screen comes up like its about to boot.

Then you get a black screen with some text, are you sure you dont get a blue screen for like a second?

Does your computer restart, or does it completely power off?

My friends laptop would seem to boot up normally, then it would get to the windows loading screen, it would try to boot then it it would get a blue screen with text for a split second, and restart. Turns out his windows installation had corrupted. We re-installed the OS and it worked fine after that. When the writing comes up is there a lot of text? His would say "NO OS FOUND"

metron

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
legendofphil said:
Generally Windows (assuming you are using Windows) gives a black screen on boot if there is a missing file, but that's usually whilst its booting.

Well that could be it I guess. Is their a way to get the file back on without having to log in since obviously I cant. and I have no clue what file is missing (if thats the case) or how it got lost. Oh, and its a Windows XP Professional

It doesnt show a blue screen at all. just black and then some words and then nothing... it doesnt restart either. and I tried it again to see what I got, and this time the CPU stayed on but the monitor says their is no signal. whats that about?

Shabadage

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
p1ngpong said:
NPmetron said:
not rly sure whats wrong. but when it starts up itll get up to the login screen and then it just shuts it self off

My PC used to shut down randomly all the time, turned out my power supply had failed. It used to switch off occasionally once in a while then one day before it would boot it would just pop off. Not saying thats whats wrong with yours but you might want to check it as a possibility. You got any more info? Do you get blue screen or anything like that?

I've only had this problem happen when I've got a bad stick of RAM. When my power supplies go, it will stay on, but fail to boot repeatedly.

Anyway, try pulling one of the RAM sticks out, and see if it still happens. If it does, switch the RAM sticks around (Only test one at a time for faster diagnosis).

If it's failing with all your RAM sticks, it's likely not a RAM problem.

p1ngpong

Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
NPmetron said:
legendofphil said:

Well that could be it I guess. Is their a way to get the file back on without having to log in since obviously I cant. and I have no clue what file is missing (if thats the case) or how it got lost. Oh, and its a Windows XP Professional

Basically just put the CD in your drive, and boot from the disk. Then you can reinstall XP. Dont reformat your partition if you have data on there you want to keep, just reinstall in the existing windows folder. You will have to reinstall your computers drivers (graphics, sound etc) and any programs you had installed.

edit: oh yeah good idea check your RAM first

metron

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
p1ngpong said:
NPmetron said:
legendofphil said:

Basically just put the CD in your drive, and boot from the disk. Then you can reinstall XP. Dont reformat your partition if you have data on there you want to keep, just reinstall in the existing windows folder. You will have to reinstall your computers drivers (graphics, sound etc) and any programs you had installed.

edit: oh yeah good idea check your RAM first

So, where would I look for the RAM? I have a desktop computer not a laptop also. and reinstalling the windows folder will in no way delete my files?

Shabadage

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
legendofphil said:
It doesnt show a blue screen at all. just black and then some words and then nothing... it doesnt restart either. and I tried it again to see what I got, and this time the CPU stayed on but the monitor says their is no signal. whats that about?

This definitely sounds like a Proc/RAM problem.

Err, RAM is inside your computer. You'd have to open the case.

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
have you tried booting in safe mode?

keep tapping "F8" when your system is booting up and try get into it in safe mode once your into safe mode copy any files you can to a usb stick
wink.gif

whilst your there scan for any virii with your antivirus and check for anything else with spyware removal software
smile.gif

in the startmenu/run bar type in MSCONFIG and press return look under the startup tab and check that there's nothing suspect starting when windows is starting ...look for unusual file names or things that you don't think should be there and untick them ..... usually if there's a rogue file starting with windows it will show here!

once you are done click apply and close and then restart when prompted see if it will then start up properly into windows
smile.gif

metron

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shabadage said:
legendofphil said:

I know its inside. but exactly where? Theirs alot of stuff inside the computer

EDIT: looked it up. found them and it works when I took the first one out. but is my computer goin to run slower with that one taken out?

legendofphil

Phil no Densetsu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Not at first, it depends how much RAM is left.
You can survive off not much RAM for normal usage such as web browser, email, small applications.
Should you want to play recent-ish games or photo-editing for example you might run into a few problems.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
find out which the problem
bad ram slot or the ram stick its self

just take out the one you have now and plug in the ram stick in the slot to see if you have problems again
if you do then you can replace that stick pretty easy

test the other slot just to be sure also

Shabadage

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NPmetron said:
Shabadage said:
legendofphil said:

I know its inside. but exactly where? Theirs alot of stuff inside the computer

EDIT: looked it up. found them and it works when I took the first one out. but is my computer goin to run slower with that one taken out?

Do yourself a favor and plug that ram chip back in and boot it again, just to make absolutely sure it is a bad RAM stick, and not just a random error that decided to not happen once or twice after you removed the RAM stick. Sounds crazy, but it happens.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    DTApple @ DTApple: Did someone say llamas?