Hardware Component or Composite for 23inch?

Raiser

I am mad scientist.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Hey guys,

I know the whole 'component vs composite' thing has been discussed many times, and I've heard that component is usually dominant especially with some of the larger screens.
I have a 23 inch LCD HDTV monitor and I'm wondering which would be best for it as it's not that big.

Thanks a lot!

kai445

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use the best connection available to you for any device you connect.

From worst to best:
RF (Coaxial) < Composite < S-Video < Component (YPbPr) < VGA (RGB) < DVI < HDMI

Also:
At the same resolution, Progressive is always better than Interlaced video.
Displays will always have the best picture at their native resolution.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
kai445 said:

From worst to best:

Also:

Component and VGA must be switched.
I have a RGB cable and Component, when connecting the Wii, there is no better than Component.
Also DVi and HDMI are out the Question because the Wii does'nt have those outputs.

kai445

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hielkenator said:
kai445 said:

From worst to best:

Also:

Component and VGA must be switched.
I have a RGB cable and Component, when connecting the Wii, there is no better than Component.
Also DVi and HDMI are out the Question because the Wii does'nt have those outputs.

RF is out of the question too (without some sort of adapter), but I meant that as an overall guide.

As for Component vs. VGA, you'd be wrong in a technical sense (RGB is superior to YPbPr), though some source devices may do one or the other poorly (and in those cases, you should choose what looks better).

You can also stick D-Terminal and SCART with RGB (as both of those allow RGB signals to travel over them, and are therefore functionally equivalent to VGA).

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I said it because I have a RGB cable with my Wii ( bought it before Component cable )
Then a friend of mine got a all in one Wii action pack...It had a component cable aswell.

I tried it and it never left my TV again. Really sharp an vibrant picture compared to the Wii RGB cable.
It aso the only way to get the Wii send out 480p on my tv.

Also HDMI and DVI carry the exact same signal; It's simply that the connector is different. Qualitywise there is no difference between HDMI and DVI.
HDMI carries sound also. DVI cannot carry sound.

zizer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hielkenator said:
I said it because I have a RGB cable with my Wii ( bought it before Component cable )
Then a friend of mine got a all in one Wii action pack...It had a component cable aswell.

I tried it and it never left my TV again. Really sharp an vibrant picture compared to the Wii RGB cable.

Also HDMI and DVI carry the exact same signal; It's simply that the connector is different. Qualitywise there is no difference between HDMI and DVI.

what is difference between RGB cable and Component cable ? .......

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
zizer said:
Hielkenator said:

what is difference between RGB cable and Component cable ? .......

Hard to explain, To answer the question is there a difference between RGB and component, the answer is both yes and no. Yes there is a difference between RGB and certain types of component video. RGB is considered one type of component video, so in that respect RGB and component video are the same with no differences. However, RGB is just one type of component video, and there are differences between RGB and S-video, which is another type of component video. One difference in RGB and S-video is that S-video uses two separate signals and RGB uses three signals. Component video is not the same as RGB. RGB video puts the horizontal/vertical sync information in with the color information. RGB colorspace, even if it is carried only on three cables, is not the same as component video colorspace
Component on Wii enables the Wii's progressive scan mode. No combined lines...the screen is "projected" at once so to speak. Like a "stamp".

kai445

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hielkenator said:

On Component Video:
- RGB and YPrPb are both considered "Component" signals, but S-Video is not.
- RGB has deeper blacks, and whiter whites than YPrPb.

On HDMI and DVI:
They are very similar, but not the same. For a digital signal of the same resolution, there would be no theoretical difference in the picture quality, and there are even simple DVI to HDMI adapters because the formats are electrically compatible (and signals are the same)... but the HDMI standard is superior to DVI.
- HDMI carries sound (Lossless digital audio, TrueHD or DTS-HD).
- HDMI has more than double the bandwidth for data transfer (10.2Gbit/s vs 4.95Gbit/s), and as such can support (ridiculously) higher resolutions.
- HDMI is required for 3D Video (Good luck finding it in Dual Link DVI).

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
kai445 said:
Hielkenator said:

On Component Video:
- RGB and YPrPb are both considered "Component" signals, but S-Video is not.
- RGB has deeper blacks, and whiter whites than YPrPb.

On HDMI and DVI:
They are very similar, but not the same. For a digital signal of the same resolution, there would be no theoretical difference in the picture quality, and there are even simple DVI to HDMI adapters because the formats are electrically compatible (and signals are the same)... but the HDMI standard is superior to DVI.
- HDMI carries sound (Lossless digital audio, TrueHD or DTS-HD).
- HDMI has more than double the bandwidth for data transfer (10.2Gbit/s vs 4.95Gbit/s), and as such can support (ridiculously) higher resolutions.
- HDMI is required for 3D Video (Good luck finding it in Dual Link DVI).

Cool info! Black and White are actually no colors right?
Lossless digital audio is nice, but you'll never hear te difference. It's digitally processed and transferred but it will always come from a speaker, so it will be analog again. And that's what you'll hear. The only real benefit is for the company's who make these technologies. They make money by making up these "terms".
Resolution are nice, But when are the company's make the resolutions higher for the "really big panels"? The term HD is marketing. Just like HiFi was more than 30 years back. Just like Dolby stereo ( hiss remover ). I like a 32 inch HD panel. But I don't like the 80" panels at the same"HD' resolutions.
3D video is'nt new. It's been around longer than I am... and the way "you connect it to our TV" does'nt make is more special I think. The way 3D video is presented nowadays and the way to view it, is been forced upon also by the same company's. They just make sure you buy another TV, so your cables will fit, lol !

"What? everybody has a Flatpanel?...let's see..3D! he, he, Oh let's make a 3D player too! gna, gna,. What? let's put the signal through these NEW version cables...wich they also have to buy!!! muhahaha!!! "

On topic: the best way possible to connect a Wii to a LCD, flatpanel etc. is by using component cables.
This was the question asked in this thread.
And it's answered.
But it's nice that it's possible.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: F