Hacking Completely botched Checkpoint backup, how to update from here?

256BitLink

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
Long story short, went to back up my save files today, my N3DS wasn't having any of it. Lost everything, back to square one regarding what's on my SD card. Currently at version 11.12.0-44E. N3DS boots with the Luma 10.2 firm on the sd car root, won't boot without. So pretty sure the CFW is intact still, I hear it's hard to restore a 3DS to OFW anyway. I am aware that this version of CFW is quite old and about a year ago there was a complete overhaul on 3DS CFW, how do I get to this new setup? I know about the 3DS guide, it tells me for my cfw version to "Update to latest firmware or use an "All Versions" Method". How do I update to latest firmware, and then luma etc and everything else that I'm going to require to get setup again?

Also, if anyone has a 100% Great Ace Attorney save or knows where to get one, this happened just as I was starting the last case :wacko::wacko::wacko:

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If luma 10.2 is running, you're on the latest. You just need to update system firmware. To do that, just update the firmware the official way.

256BitLink

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
If luma 10.2 is running, you're on the latest. You just need to update system firmware. To do that, just update the firmware the official way.

Hmm ok, but before everything went south I definitely had trouble with getting modded Majora's Mask and some other stuff to boot (can't fully recollect). Something on the system was definitely 'the old way', I was told on reddit. Is there something else I need to install over to the new ways of doing things?

EDIT: OK so I updated, on latest now, (11.13.0-45E) thought updating would create any missing folders but all that was created was a 'Nintendo 3DS' and 'Luma' folder, so I have those too and the boot.firm. Anything else that I need to get going again, including bringing the CFW up to date with the 'new way' of doing things?

Last edited by 256BitLink,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hmm ok, but before everything went south I definitely had trouble with getting modded Majora's Mask and some other stuff to boot (can't fully recollect). Something on the system was definitely 'the old way', I was told on reddit. Is there something else I need to install over to the new ways of doing things?

EDIT: OK so I updated, on latest now, (11.13.0-45E) thought updating would create any missing folders but all that was created was a 'Nintendo 3DS' and 'Luma' folder, so I have those too and the boot.firm. Anything else that I need to get going again, including bringing the CFW up to date with the 'new way' of doing things?
There is no "new way" since B9S. Unless you want to use FastBoot3DS, but that is really just a minor change that you won't notice much difference from.

256BitLink

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
There is no "new way" since B9S. Unless you want to use FastBoot3DS, but that is really just a minor change that you won't notice much difference from.

Ok thanks. Running into an issue here though. Holding Start, or L+Down+Start at bootup does nothing. Straight to the normal menu. Tried fixing things by following the a9 to b9s guide's page, but hit a wall when I can't boot into any menus like that. So I guess I'm on b9s already, but why can't I access these menus, or God mode? No new items have been created in the main UI either, like a Luma program.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Ok thanks. Running into an issue here though. Holding Start, or L+Down+Start at bootup does nothing. Straight to the normal menu. Tried fixing things by following the a9 to b9s guide's page, but hit a wall when I can't boot into any menus like that. So I guess I'm on b9s already, but why can't I access these menus, or God mode? No new items have been created in the main UI either, like a Luma program.
Ahh, I see what you mean. To get back all the recommended homebrew you first need boot.3dsx from here on the SD root: https://github.com/fincs/new-hbmenu/releases/tag/v2.2.0
Then just follow this part of the guide https://3ds.hacks.guide/finalizing-setup.html

256BitLink

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
OK, done, thanks for the help. Assume I'm good to go from there. There wasn't an essentials exef file in my gm9/out folder for whatever reason but I am backing up the new nand anyway. If something were to go badly wrong could I just use the first nand backup I made and its essentials exef file?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
OK, done, thanks for the help. Assume I'm good to go from there. There wasn't an essentials exef file in my gm9/out folder for whatever reason but I am backing up the new nand anyway. If something were to go badly wrong could I just use the first nand backup I made and its essentials exef file?
IIRC GM9 now embeds the essentials.exefs in the NAND instead of putting it on the SD.

Reactions: fmkid

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr