Complete iOS Jailbreak Guide

Discussion in 'iPhone, iPod & iPad' started by Dialexio, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Dialexio
    OP

Dialexio GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    It looks like the iOS 4.3 jailbreak is tethered. I know that the jailbreak for iOS 4.3.1 is untethered, though. (Technically, 4.3 and 4.3.2 could be untethered, but the untethering exploit was built only for 4.3.1.)

The most user-friendly way to install iOS 4.3.1 is (unfortunately) through iTunes. If you're savvy enough with computers and programming, you could try to compile idevicerestore.

I'm truly sorry if you were misled by the guide about this; honestly, I wasn't too sure about it myself. I've rectified the issue.

2. Keeley

Keeley GBAtemp Fan

Nov 15, 2008
    Canada
    Saskachewan
    Oh, thats okay, the only problem is that I can't boot my iPhone normally now. I assume this is b/c of the jailbreak ( it hangs on the apple logo ). To fix this is just update my iPhone through iTunes right? Also I can't use idevicerestore, its for Macs and Linux only apparently...

3. m3rox

m3rox GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 13, 2006
    United States
    WA
    Well, you could use idevicerestore via a virtual machine...

4. Dialexio
    OP

Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    Correct; that's due to the jailbreak being tethered. To get an untethered jailbreak, just update or restore in iTunes and re-jailbreak. (I always recommend restoring.)

If you have enough patience, the untethered exploit for iOS 4.3.2 *should* be released sometime this week, so I'd wait until then. (I can't guarantee it'll be released this week, but I don't see why it can't be done.)

4/18 UPDATE: The untethered jailbreak is now available through redsn0w, thanks to the work of i0n1c and MuscleNerd.

4/19 UPDATE: The fix is in! redsn0w 0.9.6rc14 can now perform an untethered jailbreak on iOS 4.3.2 for iPhone 4 (GSM model)! (Yes, you can run this over your current, tethered setup.) In other news, Cydia's servers are now able to serve SHSHs for iOS 4.3.2. [​IMG]

5. GreatCrippler

GreatCrippler Greatness Fallen

Mar 27, 2010
    United States
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Short of being anal, and wanting to be up to date, if I have a Jailbroken Ipod Touch 4g with 4.3.1, Is there any point to going up to 4.3.2?

6. Dialexio
    OP

Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    iOS 4.3.2 contains fixes for FaceTime, a fix for the CDMA iPad 2's roaming issue (which won't apply to you), and some security enhancements (a blacklist for fraudulent Comodo SSL certificates and patching PWN2OWN exploits... at least I think it was from that).

For the most part, I don't really see a compelling reason to update from iOS 4.3.1 to 4.3.2, unless you use FaceTime often or you're rather paranoid about security (I've never heard of any websites abusing the PWN2OWN exploits yet).

UPDATE: The IMEI unlock that's made headlines recently has been blocked by Apple. IMEIs cannot be registered until further notice; don't get scammed! (Those already in the database are probably safe.) I'll do my best to get the SAM section out (but I've been pretty lazy regarding it [​IMG]) The SAM section is available (but untested), so those with the authentic unlock can back up their activation record (thus preserving their unlock).

7. Langin

Langin HI! ^O^

Jul 29, 2008
    Netherlands
    The Hague
    And again problem solved [​IMG]

8. Dialexio
    OP

Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    I think it's about time that I worked on trimming the fat from the binaries guide.

I've removed the iTunes downgrading tutorial, and I'm considering removing the greenpois0n and iBooty tutorials. iTunes downgrading isn't necessary for modern jailbreak tools, and you can use redsn0w instead of greenpois0n and iBooty.

As always, feedback is always appreciated. [​IMG]

UPDATE: The guide was updated for PwnageTool 4.3.2.

9. metamaster

metamaster GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 7, 2010
    Canada
    I've got yet another issue [​IMG]
    I just jailbroke an iPhone 4 on 4.3.2, and oddly, all the apps, aside from the ones installed through Cydia and the default apps, crash as soon as i run them. Safe mode doesn't do anything, so it's not an extension, and deleting com.apple.mobile.installation.plist either. I've also tried rejailbreaking.
    In case this might be important, the person had tried to update the phone and got an error in iTunes, and the iPhone would be stuck in recovery mode on boot. I just kicked it out with Tiny Umbrella.
    Anyone have any idea on what might be going on?

10. Dialexio
    OP

Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    The iPhone probably isn't tied to the owner's Apple ID. You can change what Apple ID the device is signed into by going to Settings > Store.

If the problems continue, try to rejailbreak from the owner's computer.

11. metamaster

Mar 7, 2010
    Canada
    It was tied to the owner's ID. I just put mine in and installed a free app. Oddly, that app didn't crash, but the other ones still continued to do so.

12. Dialexio
    OP

Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    Sorry for the stupid question... are the apps in question yours?

Downloaded apps are tied to whatever Apple ID was used to download them, regardless of price (i.e.- apps you got from the App Store for free won't work with your acquaintance's iPhone). In iTunes, you can right-click an app, and select "Get Info" to see what account the app is tied to.

13. metamaster

Mar 7, 2010
    Canada
    I didn't actually sync the apps, so they didn't get copied to my computer. The owner had downloaded all of the apps, except for the last one obviously. I just got it to see if all apps were affected, regardless of price [​IMG]
    I've done this many times before, but this is the first time something similar happens, even if a device I had jailbroken was tied to an account that wasn't mine.

14. iFish

iFish Slower than a 90s modem

Jul 11, 2009
    Canada
    Montreal, QC
    Just a question, are they all legally obtained?

Since that may be the issue.

15. metamaster

Mar 7, 2010
    Canada
    Apparently not. Even if that were the case, I tried installing Appsync to no avail.

16. iFish

iFish Slower than a 90s modem

Jul 11, 2009
    Canada
    Montreal, QC
    Appsync is only for installing cracked app to iTunes...

So... I doubt that's the issue.

But now I'm going to stop talking since we don't support piracy and if I continue talking it will make me look... bad I guess? :s

Sorry.

17. metamaster

Mar 7, 2010
    Canada
    Anyway I gave the iPhone back. The guy didn't seem to mind too much though [​IMG]
    I imagine that reinstalling the apps will fix the issue.

18. Dialexio
    OP

Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    The guide has been updated for sn0wbreeze 2.6.1. What's new? Well... iOS 4.2.7 now has an untethered jailbreaking tool! (For those wondering, the iOS 4.2.1/4.2.6 untethered exploit wasn't patched in iOS 4.2.7.)

If sn0wbreeze isn't your cup of tea, or you have a Mac, you can still accomplish the same thing via redsn0w. Direct redsn0w to the IPSW for iOS 4.2.6 for a tethered jailbreak, add the source http://cydia.pushfix.info, and install "Verizon Untether for 4.2.7."

19. Devin

Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

GBAtemp Patron
    Devin is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Aug 17, 2009
    United States
    The Nexus
    No untethered Jailbreaks for a 2G iPod Touch on 3.1.3? I also can't get Jailbreak me to work. When I slide to jailbreak it just restarts the iPod, with no Cydia.

20. Dialexio
    OP

Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    Unfortunately, Star is one of the more wonky jailbreaks; you may need to restore (multiple times?) to get it working.

If you have an old bootrom iPod touch 2G, you can use redsn0w 0.9.4, provided you have a copy of iOS 3.1.2.

The last option for iOS 3.1.3 (all bootroms) is to downgrade iTunes to 9.1.1 and use Spirit. (Be sure to back up your iTunes library before downgrading.)

Now, you *could* upgrade (keep in mind that upgrading to 4.x will wipe out your iPod unless you have a backup), but iOS 4.x isn't known for excellent performance on the iPod touch 2G. [​IMG]

I hope that helps, and good luck!

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted