Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
SilentGhost said:
I need some help, every time I do the restores it gives me an error 3194
That error means Apple isn't giving out SHSHs that particular firmware. Unless the SHSHs were saved with Cydia/TinyUmbrella, you're out of luck with using that firmware. (With newer devices, you can definitely get a tethered 4.2.1 jailbreak though.)

The Viztard

Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Nice vid.
biggrin.gif
Just maybe zoom in a bit more to the monitor?

Quick question, on an Ipod touch 2g MC model, would it be a tethered or untethered jailbreak through the most recent redsn0w, 0.9.6b4?

Thanks.
smile.gif

EDIT: Grammar

Dialexio

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
The last version of redsn0w to support the iPod touch 2G with the new bootrom was 0.9.6b1 (even then, it was tethered). I suggest using greenpois0n to jailbreak your iPod on 4.1. (To my knowledge, Apple's still signing 4.1 for the iPod touch 2G.
smile.gif
)

4.2.1 doesn't contain much over 4.1 for the iPod touch 2G, other than breaking the app switcher (can be fixed with a hacky capabilities change) and blocking the exploit used for an untethered jailbreak on newer devices.

The Viztard

Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Dialexio said:
The last version of redsn0w to support the iPod touch 2G with the new bootrom was 0.9.6b1 (even then, it was tethered). I suggest using greenpois0n to jailbreak your iPod on 4.1. (To my knowledge, Apple's still signing 4.1 for the iPod touch 2G.
smile.gif
)

4.2.1 doesn't contain much over 4.1 for the iPod touch 2G, other than breaking the app switcher (can be fixed with a hacky capabilities change) and blocking the exploit used for an untethered jailbreak on newer devices.
When you mean still signing...do you mean I could maybe jump from 3.1.3 to 4.1? Through Itunes or something? Sort of like restoring a certain ipsw? And then jailbreak? Clearly I'm sort of a noob this...thanks for the suggestion...
smile.gif

metamaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You can do that with Tiny Umbrella. First, download it, then run it with your device plugged in and save it's SHSH blobs. If it saved your 4.1 blobs, you can upgrade straight to it. Press start TSS server and open iTunes. Download the firmware file you need (google it) and go to devices in iTunes. Shift-click update and select the firmware file you downloaded when prompted. Let iTunes update your iPod (it could fail, although it is unlikely) and then you are ready to jailbreak. Look at the beginning of this topic to see how (with either Greenpois0n or Limera1n).

Edit: @Dialexio: You can also mention this in your guide: You can update to an older firmware without restoring while using Tiny Umbrella.

The Viztard

Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
metamaster said:
You can do that with Tiny Umbrella. First, download it, then run it with your device plugged in and save it's SHSH blobs. If it saved your 4.1 blobs, you can upgrade straight to it. Press start TSS server and open iTunes. Download the firmware file you need (google it) and go to devices in iTunes. Shift-click update and select the firmware file you downloaded when prompted. Let iTunes update your iPod (it could fail, although it is unlikely) and then you are ready to jailbreak. Look at the beginning of this topic to see how (with either Greenpois0n or Limera1n).
By saying that it sounds like it should already be on 4.1...to be able to save "my 4.1 blobs," but I'm on IOS 3.1.3 on a 2g Ipod Touch MC Model....or am I wrong? I have the 4.1 ipsw file for my Ipod...but can I do anything with it? Like what you mentioned in your post?...
ohnoes.png
Or am I completely and utterly wrong? o.o
Thanks for the input btw,
smile.gif

EDIT: Extra info...

metamaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You don't need to be on a specific firmware to save it's SHSH blobs. When you open Cydia for the first time, it asks you if you want to let it make your life easier by letting it save you SHSH blobs automatically.
That way, when a new firmware comes out, Cydia tries to save them without your input. But you can also save them to your computer yourself with Tiny Umbrella (Cydia saves them to Saurik's server). Dialexio said Apple might be still be signing them, so you can save them yourself, therefor you would be able to upgrade to a firmware that isn't the current one.

The Viztard

Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
metamaster said:
You don't need to be on a specific firmware to save it's SHSH blobs. When you open Cydia for the first time, it asks you if you want to let it make your life easier by letting it save you SHSH blobs automatically.
That way, when a new firmware comes out, Cydia tries to save them without your input. But you can also save them to your computer yourself with Tiny Umbrella (Cydia saves them to a Saurik's server). Dialexio said Apple might be still be signing them, so you can save them yourself, therefor you would be able to upgrade to a firmware that isn't the current one.
Mmmm, icic. See that's the thing...I kinda need to restore/update my Ipod...I need it to be a "clean slate" so to speak, but still be able to re-jailbreak it. I was able to open Cydia and install some apps after I jailbroke it with a patched version of Spirit...but I could never open it again after...it crashes every time I try to open it up, Cydia, ...And I'm pretty sure I didn't save my blobs...stupid I know...or at least I don't think I did... :/

And in my case I can't really restore because my iOS isn't being supported anymore, and 4.2.1 has a tethered/beta jailbreak...so I wanted to see if there was a way to get iOS 4.1 on my Ipod, thus "virignizing" it and being able to re-jailbreak it with a more properly working Cydia...

Thanks again for the input
smile.gif
and sorry for the long message...
ohnoes.png

metamaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You can restore to 4.1 instead of updating, which will erase everything. If you want to go to a firmware that Apple isn't signing anymore, you need to use Tiny Umbrella, otherwise you won't be able too (you can also use it to check to what firmwares you can downgrade too). Technically, if Apple is still signing 4.1 blobs, you should be able to restore to it without Tiny Umbrella.
Are you sure you used Spirit to jailbreak before? What you described sounds a lot like a tethered jailbreak (Blackra1n).

The Viztard

Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
metamaster said:
You can restore to 4.1 instead of updating, which will erase everything. If you want to go to a firmware that Apple isn't signing anymore, you need to use Tiny Umbrella, otherwise you won't be able too (you can also use it to check to what firmwares you can downgrade too). Technically, if Apple is still signing 4.1 blobs, you should be able to restore to it without Tiny Umbrella.
Are you sure you used Spirit to jailbreak before? What you described sounds a lot like a tethered jailbreak (Blackra1n).
Mmmhmm, I did. I was able to retrieve the 4.0-4.2.1 blobs. And through that I restored/updated to 4.1
All was going well until I tried jailbreaking through greenp0ison...I followed the instructions and was able to get Loader installed...but I didn't bother to respring to get the icon looking right...should I have? because right after I just installed Cydia and that icon is also white and now it won't load either...wth...
ohnoes.png

metamaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The respring was optional by the way, since some people don't even keep the loader app. Try restarting your iPod and opening Cydia again. But what exactly do you mean by it won't load? It crashes or it's reloading...?

The Viztard

Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
metamaster said:
The respring was optional by the way, since some people don't even keep the loader app. Try restarting your iPod and opening Cydia again. But what exactly do you mean by it won't load? It crashes or it's reloading...?
Yea, it would "auto-crash." I touch the Cydia icon and it goes to a screen as if it were to start loading....but then crash back to the springboard...
frown.gif

EDIT: Should I restore again? And try jailbreaking again or something after? Once Cydia is installed I can't use Loader to install it again right? As if I were to overwrite it or something? And yes, I have tried restarting my ipod and then opening Cydia again...cydia still has the blank white icon...and will "auto-crash," I have a feeling the Cydia icon shouldn't be white though....
ohnoes.png

metamaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Did you use a backup in iTunes after you restored your iPod? I've heard that the contents of one can affect Cydia. if you did use one, you can try restoring again and setting up your iPod as a new device.

The Viztard

Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
metamaster said:
Did you use a backup in iTunes after you restored your iPod? I've heard that the contents of one can affect Cydia. if you did use one, you can try restoring again and setting up your iPod as a new device.
Yea, I set it up as a new device...should I try restoring again regardless and try jailbreaking again?
ohnoes.png

metamaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah sure, what do you have to lose. But this time, try jailbreaking with Limera1n. And if that fails too, try going to 4.0 and using Star (since you said you had SHSH blobs for that firmware). But something tells me it's not the jailbreak, but something with your iPod... A restore usually wipes out everything.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Float like a butterfly burns when I pee lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    So does that mean your date was not good? It burns now?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Got two new stds in one night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Giggity
    +1
  • The Catboy @ The Catboy:
    I don't bite! Minus the times when I did bite
  • The Catboy @ The Catboy:
    Like 5 minutes ago
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Billie needs her lunch
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ffs papa brought back the cheeseburger pizza it's like the only decent pie they had since the 80s
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm not a fan of papa johns, but that does sound good. We hardly order out pizza, I like making my own, but when we do its donatoes
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I get them like once every two months anymore
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just because it's half a mile from where I live
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Request next time you order, that Shaq deliver it to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I want him to buy me a chain also
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Open it right next to the one we have
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys should i make a new thread and just count the amount of posts until kyle, luke or leo joins the thread for fun?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    kyle's fine, just waiting for that wario joke

luke and leo though, they yap until the thread's enjoyability is about halved
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Leo is Luke's alterego when he gets hard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Luke is gone, he got banned. And I'm surprised Leo hasn't yet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Subway was actually pretty decent tonight
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wut you get, a seafood and psi salad sub
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Psi had my footlong meatball special
    +1
  • PandaPandel @ PandaPandel: