CompC's amiibo Cards!

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by CompC, Feb 3, 2016.

1. ViolentRockstar

ViolentRockstar GBAtemp Regular

Sep 15, 2015
    Netherlands
    Hardenberg, Overijssel
    Also, does anybody know somewhere where I can get like 10 of these ntag215s? I'm only able to find sellers that require you to buy atleast 100 pieces, but I don't think that I'm gonna need that many of 'em :P.

2. Fatih120

Fatih120 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 22, 2016
    Canada
    Cornwall, Ontario
  3. CompC
    OP

CompC GBAtemp Fan

May 28, 2009
    United States
    Added a couple more!

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Actually, that was on purpose. The bottom of his sword is cut off in the official render! I thought it looked weird, so I put the part that's cut off below the cutoff of the card.

Not yet but I plan on uploading some eventually.

Here you go!
    I did at first, but I modified a lot of it. I basically only used the gradient lines section of the Smash Bros. box template. I all the other parts myself.

Last edited by CompC, Feb 4, 2016
    fiveighteen likes this.
  4. _Pro_Man_

_Pro_Man_ GBAtemp Regular

May 21, 2015
    United States
    Can anyone recommend where I should print these from? Would I be able to go to Staples and get a high quality print there. I printed some on my own printer, and I got the size close to the actual size of an actual amiibo card, but the colors where not has vibrant as I had hoped. I guess this was to be expected as the printer is quite old. If you know a good place to print out stuff, please let me know!

The dimensions of an amiibo card that I tried was 2.49" by 3.49" in case anyone was wondering. There is a little overhang, so they both might have to be a little smaller, maybe 2.47" by 3.47", I'm not exactly sure.

5. gualala

gualala Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 2, 2011
    United States
    Wow, they look so good!
    Those white NTAG215 cards are sized 86x54mm (credit card size), which has an aspect ratio different to the pictures here. Tried cropping and stretching, both destroyed the beauty of the original design.
    Would it be possible to have a design for this aspect ratio? I believe there are print shops out there willing to print the designs onto card-shape stickers in small quantity:)

6. CompC
    OP

CompC GBAtemp Fan

May 28, 2009
    United States
    I'm sorry, but it'd be a lot of work to redo them all in a different aspect ratio. I used the same aspect ratio as the Happy Home Designer amiibo cards. I ordered small tags that I plan to stick onto cards that I print myself.

7. Pestilence204

Pestilence204 GBAtemp Fan

Mar 15, 2014
    Canada
    I'm planning on doing similar to this, but I'd like for the tags to be inside the cards. I'm having a really hard time figuring out the best way to do that though.

8. greenvalor7

greenvalor7 Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 22, 2009
    United States
    @CompC I just wanted to say these are awesome and thank you for sharing these. I'm looking forward to what you'll make next.

9. mediabob

mediabob GBAtemp Regular

Mar 7, 2010
    United States
    I tried to get some of these printed today. Staples and Office Max both refused to print them because they are copyrighted material. So I went over Walmart and used thier self service kiosk and printed some, they look nice but it's just on photo paper.

Finaly I went in to the FedEx/Kinkos store and they let me print them no questions asked. I used the computer to print them and tell they guy what paper I wanted, they print behind the counter but they didn't even question it. They said they can even laminate them, but I don't have the NFC cards yet. It cost me $2 per sheet in high quality professional color. 6 cheaper if you go with lower quality prints.

10. CompC
    OP

CompC GBAtemp Fan

May 28, 2009
    United States
    Some pictures would be nice! My NFC tags aren't here yet so I still have some time to figure out how I want to print these out.

I haven't messed around with the color mode before in Photoshop. Can I just convert the ones I made to CMYK?

11. D34DL1N3R

D34DL1N3R Nephilim

Dec 6, 2008
    United States
    The only thing i don't like about laminating things is the pita it is to cut them all out to look nice. At least in my own experience. Too bad the images weren't designed with the NTAG215 cards in mind.

12. mediabob

mediabob GBAtemp Regular

Mar 7, 2010
    United States
    I will try and get some pics up soon, I am not at home now, they printed on a glossy cardstock so they look pretty legit, I have some AC cards so I will do some side by side.

Also, they was just my experience with printing your mileage may vary, probably depends on the employee to.

I just went to image convert to cmyk, but of course that wasn't the PSD.

13. D34DL1N3R

D34DL1N3R Nephilim

Dec 6, 2008
    United States
    I would be willing to redo all of the ones up so far to fit the NTAG215 cards. I would just need the files to do so. The character images themselves are pretty easy to find with transparent backgrounds, but the background layer images I couldn't find whatsoever. If you feel like sharing the files, I can start working on them tomorrow. If you don't want to that's okay too. :)

14. EmanueleBGN

EmanueleBGN GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 22, 2015
    Italy
    RGB is for the web images, CMYK is for the printable images.
    To convert RGB to CMYK in Photoshop: Edit > Convert to Profile. Then select a CMYK profile. This way you can print vivid colours.
    Do NOT use the Image > Mode > CMYK because this change the colours and flattens the image.

TiMeBoMb4u2 likes this.
  15. CompC
    OP

CompC GBAtemp Fan

May 28, 2009
    United States
    Is the default one okay?

"Working CMYK - U.S. Web Coated (SWOP) v2"

It does slightly change the colors.

TiMeBoMb4u2 likes this.
  16. Mattmatic

Mattmatic Member

Newcomer
    Jan 21, 2016
    United States
    Those are some gorgeous looking cards my friend. I have an Amiiqo I use so that I don't have to carry around my figures, but a stack of cards would be way easier to manage. Switching banks to select which character you want on the Amiiqo takes forever. Thank you for putting that together for us.

17. ViolentRockstar

ViolentRockstar GBAtemp Regular

Sep 15, 2015
    Netherlands
    Hardenberg, Overijssel
  18. EmanueleBGN

EmanueleBGN GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 22, 2015
    Italy
    Colours change because RGB and CMYK have different palettes.
    If you use the "Eyedropped Tool" (key: "I") on a colour and then you open the Color Picker (coloured square of the Foreground Color) you'll see if a colour will be printed or not.
    If you open the advanced option ("Advaced" button in the "Convert to profile" window) you can set a custom CMYK and load it for all images.

Look at my image
    Triangle: the colour will not printed
    Cube: the color will not shown on the web

Packing Details: "200 pieces per box"

Attached Files:

• col.png
      col.png
      File size:
      212.1 KB
      Views:
    TiMeBoMb4u2 likes this.
  19. jammybudga777

jammybudga777 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 23, 2013
    seems like alot to read through. whats actually happening here? i see about the cards being cloned i guess? maybe a dumb question lol

20. Azel

Azel GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 16, 2014
    France
    wow, that's very impressive work, thanks :)