Comic Book DS V1.0 Released!

zoharmodifier

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i'm having problems getting my images to convert. i'm trying to process "Death Note" and it always freezes when it's trying to create thumbnails. anyone else experiencing similar problems?

Mactaetus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm having issues with the program and my G6 lite.
What I did:

made a nds file from my ultimate spiderman comic (around 30mb I think).
that went pretty fast. copied the sc.nds and the nds file onto my nds.

with one I get a white screen with the other one the program loads but doesn't the comic :-(
Any ideas how to fix that?

A step by step intruction for G6 lite would be great.

cheers
mactaetus

Tigerstar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i'm having problems getting my images to convert. i'm trying to process "Death Note" and it always freezes when it's trying to create thumbnails. anyone else experiencing similar problems?

The packager program flips out if you use anything other than JPEGs - if there are any GIF or PNG images in there it chokes.

miko

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
mr.blond88: rename to .rar and...

Do you know some good comix web pages? I know that on torrent are some, but I want some special big comix sites
wink.gif

thx

BlazedMonkey

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm having issues with the program and my G6 lite.
What I did:

made a nds file from my ultimate spiderman comic (around 30mb I think).
that went pretty fast. copied the sc.nds and the nds file onto my nds.

with one I get a white screen with the other one the program loads but doesn't the comic :-(
Any ideas how to fix that?

A step by step intruction for G6 lite would be great.

cheers
mactaetus

G6 Lite Users!!

I wrote very easy to follow instructions for you guys, posted them on PAGE 1, Post #3, please read the thread!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So, how do i open the CBR files? Im a tad confused

Can someone write a simple guide for this?

CBR is the extension given for rar files
CBZ is for zip

The reason for this is so you can associate comics with them and then open them via certain viewers.

Naturally you can just rename the extension to whatever it would normally be and use a decompression program, my personal choice is 7zip (primarily as it is free) although there loads of programs that work just as good.
7zip: http://www.7-zip.org/

As for this app I finally got around to testing it and can say I am impressed, pity I have no comics to view though.

BlazedMonkey

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Some info from the creators homepage that may help some of you who are having problems:

QUOTE said:
Troubleshoots and Remarks

* If the source file is quite big (or if the folder contains a lot of files) the converted .nds file may be bigger than 32 Mb and then may not be loaded by your DS.
   A future version of the converter will automatically create multiple files.
   Until then, you will have to manually reduce the source files (by splitting the files into different folders).

* The PC converter is currently only working for Windows (since it relies on windows dedicated programs).
   It is however planned to make it work on other platforms.

* The V1.0 has a bug if your installation directory contains spaces (ie your windows desktop).
   Converting .cbr and .rar files might then create some incorrect 448 ko files.
   Workaroud : move your ComicBookDS folder (might be x:\. ..\ComicBookDS_V1.0) in a directory without spaces (ie c:\ComicBookDS_V1.0\).
   If there is one, remove the default.pds file (ie c:\ComicBookDS_V1.0\default.pds) in which the old directory was saved.

* If the pictures to be converted are on a FAT32 partition, there might be and ordering problem (not alphabetically anymore) in the generated .nds.
   Workaround : put the files on an NTFS partition to apparently solves this problem. (thanks Michal for reporting this bug)

* Converting very big images will make the pictods tool freeze.
   A fix will be done in next version.
   Workaround : try reducing the image before converrssion.

* On the DS (or with the emulator bundled with the PC converter), if the image is not correctly displayed, or if the application crashes, try to reduce the quality and the width/height of the converted files (using the "Image Settings" option of the PC converter pictods)

* On the DS , a small part at the far right of the image may be missing. Same thing for the far bottom part.
   This is a known bug.

* A left handed mode and a manga mode will be added in the next version.

BlazedMonkey

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
another addition, regarding the following:
QUOTE said:
> If I use the converter with the "Add folder" option to convert my comics
> which I have stored as multiple .jpg's in a single folder, the files are
> 10MB when finished (the exact same size as the original files in the
> folder). If I use the .cbz or .cbr file from the exact same comic and use
> the "Add File" option, when the files are converted, the resulting .nds file
> is 20MB, twice the size of the other one!
>
>
>
>
> I would be interested to know if it is me doing something wrong, or if you
> could independently test this and come up with the same results.
> Thanks for your time,
> Bill

To which the author replied:
QUOTEThanks, you're right, i can reproduce the problem
smile.gif

(From a dir i get a 4Mb file, and from .cbz i get a 13 Mb :/)
I inform Nicom00k (here in CC) , who dit the PC tool, he might solve
the problem i guess
smile.gif

Thanks again
Francis.

mr_blonde_88

Torture You? That's A Good Idea. I Like That
Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
Ive been using a program CDisplay to view em, tis perdy kwl

So, urs sayin, if i rename the files to .rar it would extract ok?

then, as long as the files are jpg, convert them that way?

ds6220

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i wrote up my impressions on the program, and took some photos of it in action. you can check them out here.

i talked with the developer--he seems like a really nice guy, and is very eager to fix all the issues coming up with his future versions.
Awesome. you answered pretty much all of my questions with your impressions. I figured the reason why some would work and others did not had to do with the size and this proved it. I love this bit of homebrew and I can not wait until the issues are addressed to make it even better.
grog.gif

Scurvey Dog

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ive gotten it working using the G6lite. it works with cbr files but only if the cbr has been built properly.

if there are subfolders in the cbr it doesnt seem to work. take this for example

I open up my origins of wolverine comic and in the folder there is another folder, inside that is where the pics are located. this causes it to fail and creat e the 448k files as well.

the pics MUST be in the "root"(we will call it) directory of the cbr

BlazedMonkey

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ive gotten it working using the G6lite. it works with cbr files but only if the cbr has been built properly.

if there are subfolders in the cbr it doesnt seem to work. take this for example

I open up my origins of wolverine comic and in the folder there is another folder, inside that is where the pics are located. this causes it to fail and creat e the 448k files as well.

the pics MUST be in the "root"(we will call it) directory of the cbr

the only problem with that method (currently, it is a known bug) is that you end up with a file twice the size of what it would be if you would just extract the .cbr to a folder, and convert it from the folder.

BlazedMonkey

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Version 1.1 has been released:

http://gnese.free.fr/NDS/ComicBookDS/

# 1.1 (15/10/2006):

* BugFix PC: No more memory error (freeze) with big images.
* BugFix PC: Third party programs in directory with spaces characters are now managed (448 ko files problem).
* BugFix PC: "Restore Default" in config dialog box works.
* BugFix PC: Images on FAT32 partition are now correctly ordered.
* BugFix PC: Lower volume for completion sound.
* BugFix DS: Pressing select (backlight change) does not crash anymore.
* New PC: Choice of the output (.nds, .sc.nds, .ds.gba).
* New PC: Logger activated (pictods/log in lib directory).
* New DS: Images are now ordered according to a Numeric Natural Order ("1","2",...,"10" work. No need to have "01","02".."10").
* New DS: Left Handed mode added (press start and change "Right Handed" to "Left Handed").
* New DS: Manga mode added (press start and change "Left To Right" to "Right To Left").
* New DS: Key mapping changes according to the different modes. Right Handed: ABXY does not slow scroll anymore.(check #key mapping)
* New DS: Changing thumbnails with the arrow does not jump anymore some thumbnails.
* New DS: Various small changes and bugfixes ...

Haven't had a chance to play with it yet, but I'll post again once I check it out
smile.gif

EDIT: The "files twice the size when using .cbr or .cbz" problem is still there. Continue to extract your comic files to folders before you convert them.

BlazedMonkey

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ver. 1.2 has been released:

# 1.2 (16/10/2006):

* BugFix PC: No more size differences between .nds file generated from an archive or a folder.
biggrin.gif

* BugFix PC: Application is visible in taskbar.
* BugFix DS: Fixed inverted thumbnails in Left Handed/Landscape mode.
* New PC: In config path, PictoDs allows to set an 'input path' (by default your home directory).
* New DS: Screen Space option added (to take into account, or not, the space between the 2 DS screens).

HugeCock

Oh My....
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Actually unfortunatly I think you need to install Java =(
*edit
Oh I already had MS framework installed so it didnt ask....I hate Java so thats why it did ask....anyway both are developer tools and so if you want to run something programed in Java or MS framework you need the app on your comp

warspawn

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Before I install any M$ crap on machine, does anyone know why CBDS1.2 would be causing an error with the pafs.exe? Error I receive is "Application failed to initialize properly" with a registry set of numbers.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.ebay.com/itm/386617469929?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=2T8UwYf_Qse&...