Comex's NAND Formatter

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by PPSainity, Jul 24, 2010.

Jul 24, 2010

Comex's NAND Formatter by PPSainity at 8:56 AM (6,957 Views / 0 Likes) 16 replies

1. PPSainity
    OP

Member PPSainity Blinded by Science

Canada
    I have a few questions about Comex's NAND Formatter:

In my searches I've seen many a mention of different versions of Comex's NAND Formatter. The only official source I could find was on github; is this the latest version? Are there any continuing mods?

I've heard mention of a version pre-compiled by giantpune that is able to read the settings.txt file off the Wii and restore it after formatting the Wii's NAND. Where can this version be found?

If Comex's NAND Formatter is used and the original settings.txt file is restored, will this enable the continued use of the Wii Shop Account that is associated with the Wii? If restoring the settings.txt file is not enough what other original files are needed? As far as I understand, the the Shop Account is linked to some information that is stored in the Wii's OTP area and possibly the Wii's serial in the settings.txt file. Also I do know that the original tickets are not needed as you can still re-download purchased items after a system format which deletes all tickets. So the question is, what original information needs to be restored that gets erased by Comex's NAND Formatter in order to keep the existing Wii Shop Account?

Does a version of Comex's NAND Formatter that restores the Wii Shop Account exist already? How hard would it be to modify the source? This would be great for those who do not have a NAND backup, do not have BootMii Boot2, or want to 'virginise' their Wii to send back for repairs.

-[]D

2. giantpune

Member giantpune GBAtemp Addict

United States
    if you do come across that version i made that lets you keep your existing setting.txt after a format, i would not suggest using it. i made this version and never tested it out. i sent it to a person who was supposed to test it for me but i never heard anything back if it worked or not. in fact, i never heard anything else about it until now.

so, as far as i know, it has not been tested on any wii and could very well brick your wii.

3. PPSainity
    OP

Canada
    Thank's for the heads-up on the untested status and chance of bricking. Darn, I was all excited about a version that did not have to have the serial hard-encoded during compile-time too.

-[]D

4. FenrirWolf

Member FenrirWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
  5. giantpune

United States
    yeah, thats the one i made. i guess if you trust these people enough with your wii, then you can go for it with that formatter. as i said, i never tested it or heard of one single person using it successfully.

6. PPSainity
    OP

Canada
    So has anyone here have success using that version of Comex's NAND Formatter?

Also, does anyone have any insight concerning the questions on retaining or restoring access to the original Wii Shop Account after formatting the NAND?

-[]D

7. DeadlyFoes

Banned DeadlyFoes Banned

United States
    I'm not supposed to be on here anymore since I got banned, but since I'm one of the few people with the answers that you need, I sent this email right to pune right after I saw his response on your thread.

I hope that helps. Sorry I can not help more. I'm sure me even speaking is going to get me banned again, but I just wanted to give you some correct info from someone who has had the chance to test this out like crazy and find it's flaws. If you need further help then feel free to email me at deadlyfoez@yahoo.com

Mod please dont delete this. I'm just trying to help someone that can't find their answers from normal means. Forgive me. And Thank you.

I'm out now.

8. dn_angel000

Member dn_angel000 Phantom User

United States
    Well usually when ur banned u no longer have access 2 this site by any means!! lol U probly were banned 4 a few months max!! lol

On Topic: This Formatter is awesome!! lol Now is this the v1.0 that can only b used by PAL Wiis or is this the v1.1 that's RegionFree that ur all talking about here?? lol

9. DeadlyFoes

Banned DeadlyFoes Banned

United States
    The version that I am referring to is Punes compiled 1.1 version.

It is buggy and should ONLY be used by people who have a way to unbrick their wii. Even the normal version is VERY buggy. But at least this version does not require a hard coded serial number like earlier version. Try at your own risk. I give no promises.

10. dn_angel000

United States
    So then this (v1.1) is the 'Universal' one then that will work on all Region Wiis?? lol

11. FenrirWolf

Member FenrirWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Apparently there's a PAL version and an NTSC one.

12. wes11ph

Member wes11ph GBAtemp Fan

Afghanistan

hey pune, can i use your compiled formater?

13. PPSainity
    OP

Canada
    Great info DeadlyFoes, thanks for the in depth testing results. Good to see you back on the site, I hope to see more of ya here, keeps things interesting [​IMG]

Still shouting out to anyone that knows what info ties down the Wii Shop Account so we can save it past a NAND format, specifically for those who do not have a NAND backup, do not have BootMii Boot2, or want to 'virginise' their Wii to send back for repairs.

-[]D

14. giantpune

United States
    @wes11ph
    sure you can use it. i dont have a copy of it, so youll have to find whatever one is floating around. and i take no responsibility if it kills your wii.

15. dn_angel000

United States
    I'm sure u can find 1 on FileTrip!! lol

16. wes11ph

Member wes11ph GBAtemp Fan

Afghanistan
    don't worry i already killin my wii since the start of homebrew.
    if you want to i'm willing to be your beta tester... i like to test system apps.

17. Gabber

Newcomer Gabber Member

Netherlands
    well i've just used pune's formatter to get a nand that SNEEK can run instantly scince the creating of folders and shit doesnt work for me. hadnt had a single problem, also added homebrew channel wad wich also works instantly