Hacking Coldboothax - solving infinite loop with sysNAND CFW

::Phoenix::

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I have a question. Now assuming someone follows all the right steps aforementioned in this guide... without bricking because of a mistake they made or anything like that... once This coldboothax installation is actually up and running successfully on the wiiu... Would there be a risk of bricking later further down the line??? I once failed to load fw.img using haxchi, the console would freeze after the wii u many logo appears, and eventually I discovered that it was because the SD card failed to mount... so I simply re-inserted it into the socket, and then it worked. Now assuming someone uses this: https://gbatemp.net/threads/haxchi-boot-fw-img-from-nand-no-sd-card-needed.449769/
https://gbatemp.net/threads/haxchi-boot-fw-img-from-nand-no-sd-card-needed.449769/
would this mean that they are safe from such issues??? Can someone at least say that they're like 80-90% sure that this method is brick-safe?? (Assuming that you didn't commit a mistake during installation, and that you tested it successfully on your own console)

And P.S @::Phoenix:: Thank you for your efforts, this is excellent work.
I can seee only two ways Of bricking:
1. Syshax.XML gets corrupted in sysnand which has the same probability to happen as the original system.XML. so I would not bother (if you are very maniacal you can add another XML like syshax2.XML for better safety and in case syshax.XML gets corrupted you can compile a new fw.IMG loading syshax2.XML)

2. The fw.IMG gets corrupted: if its on SD card, just get a new card, if it is on sysnand, same as before the probability of damaging it is the same the one of damaging the original one.

So overall, there is no risk of brick, apart from your console faulting naturally.

naughty_cat

Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
(if you are very maniacal you can add another XML like syshax2.XML for better safety and in case syshax.XML gets corrupted you can compile a new fw.IMG loading syshax2.XML)

That's a brilliant idea! :D and yes I am very maniacal (as in I'm putting syshax2.xml as well as syshax3.xml :D)

So overall, there is no risk of brick, apart from your console faulting naturally.

Alright, thank you so much :)

Peninsula

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is looking great! Does anyone know about how much time this adds to a cold boot since it has to load the fw twice? Also, can you use the version of haxachi that lets you boot different apps by holding a button on boot?

naughty_cat

Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
Also, can you use the version of haxachi that lets you boot different apps by holding a button on boot?

no, unfortunately the "putting fw.img in sysnand" method is based on haxchi 1.4. I guess now with it would be more convenient, assuming that you'd install coldboothax, to make multiple icons of haxchi on the wii u menu rather than using the button shortcuts, each with its own unique icon!

Last edited by naughty_cat,

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
This is looking great! Does anyone know about how much time this adds to a cold boot since it has to load the fw twice? Also, can you use the version of haxachi that lets you boot different apps by holding a button on boot?
You can use any version of haxchi, as far as it is able to load any fw.IMG of your choice.
Regarding loading it twice I am working on it and I am close to a solution, which should also avoid the creation of the secondary XML file.

Edit: the console coldboots in 1 minute total.

Last edited by ::Phoenix::,

naughty_cat

Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
oops... I thought you already solved the loading twice problem... I misunderstood... so I guess I'll wait for it to get solved before attempting to install...

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
oops... I thought you already solved the loading twice problem... I misunderstood... so I guess I'll wait for it to get solved before attempting to install...

There is no risk in installing it right now, you will just need to update your fw.img. You can very well go ahead and install it, don't know if this thing will work and when.

naughty_cat

Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
Yes sure, I understand. I wasn't talking about risk... it's just that for continued usage sake, booting once seems more convenient in case you decide to simply play a normal non-eshop title... Having to boot twice at the time being whenever someone wants to use the wii u just so that they could play a fully installed title that could have otherwise worked on sysnand seems somewhat tedious... At least that's a convenient thing to consider in my situation because the wii u I'm doing this on is mostly used by little toddlers... so they'd just need the most hassle free solution...

naughty_cat

Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
i bricked by accident any way to unbrick

http://gbatemp.net/threads/i-bricked-with-coldboothax-and-restored-without-hardmod-d.448896/

Maybe you can try to use an older non-colboothax fw.img that worked for you before... Also do you any idea where it went wrong for you? Did you take note of any errors that might have happened during compiling fw.img?

I hope you're not feeling too terrible about it... I'm sure there's someone around the forum who can help you out with this...

Last edited by naughty_cat,

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
I presume you can use Dimoks new builds with this guide now do you use the Rdnand img or the CFW Img on the route of your sd card? I presume you use the Rdnand img? The guide on page 1 does not really explain what to do.

Last edited by Reecey,

vickdu31

Trophies
XP
Country
Once we have a way to inject sysnand when its bricked, i'll write a script. For now, if you delete the nds game, you will get unrecoverable brick..
Or even something like bootmii or a9lh. Or just a way to switch from system.xml to syshax.xml while bricked

Last edited by vickdu31,

Goloki

Proud TX Suporter... LOL!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I presume you can use Dimoks new builds with this guide now do you use the Rdnand img or the CFW Img on the route of your sd card? I presume you use the Rdnand img? The guide on page 1 does not really explain what to do.

The changes from this branch have been merged into Dimok's master. You can compile his version using "make cfw-coldboot" and follow the brief tutorial on page 1.

leonmagnus99

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
hey guys sorry for the noobiness, but what is a sysNAND cfw in our case ?

i have the homebrew app called cfw booter on my SD i used it to download fw img iirc. (i did that stuff to hack the vwii without needing a game).

so is my sysNAND now on cfw? or is it required that the cfw booter app be run on each boot ?
edit: i know this is not for me though, just wanted to ask about sysNAND cfw xD thanks.

Last edited by leonmagnus99,

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
i messed up my haxchi title
What do you mean? Is haxchi not booting with coldboothax? What did you mess exactly?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

hey guys sorry for the noobiness, but what is a sysNAND cfw in our case ?

i have the homebrew app called cfw booter on my SD i used it to download fw img iirc. (i did that stuff to hack the vwii without needing a game).

so is my sysNAND now on cfw? or is it required that the cfw booter app be run on each boot ?
edit: i know this is not for me though, just wanted to ask about sysNAND cfw xD thanks.

A sysNAND cfw, which is a widespread (wrong) name for iosuhax without redNAND support, is just a modified IOSU firmware which can be loaded temporarly in memory via cfw booter and implements signature patches and now region free patches. It means that you can run it with cfw booter without any risk of brick (the risk comes if you want to use coldboothax). Once you run it, your Wii U will be temporarly be able to run fake signed titles like DLCs and eshop games and out of region games.
For properly signed titles, i.e. full games available on disc, you don't need iosuhax at all.

leonmagnus99

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
What do you mean? Is haxchi not booting with coldboothax? What did you mess exactly?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

A sysNAND cfw, which is a widespread (wrong) name for iosuhax without redNAND support, is just a modified IOSU firmware which can be loaded temporarly in memory via cfw booter and implements signature patches and now region free patches. It means that you can run it with cfw booter without any risk of brick (the risk comes if you want to use coldboothax). Once you run it, your Wii U will be temporarly be able to run fake signed titles like DLCs and eshop games and out of region games.
For properly signed titles, i.e. full games available on disc, you don't need iosuhax at all.

okay this sounds amazing, so you mean i dont even have to have redNAND in order to try out some dlc ?

because i currently use the ubs method to load some games, and well i loaded my fw img by using the fix(guy) tutorial in order to hack my vwii.
will this fw img help me get this running ?

i mean how do i access this stuff on the op, to load up on my wii u.
thanks !

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
okay this sounds amazing, so you mean i dont even have to have redNAND in order to try out some dlc ?

because i currently use the ubs method to load some games, and well i loaded my fw img by using the fix(guy) tutorial in order to hack my vwii.
will this fw img help me get this running ?

i mean how do i access this stuff on the op, to load up on my wii u.
thanks !
You can use fix's iosuhax if you want. Once it is loaded, you can use wupinstaller to install games and also dlc and eshop games with fake tickets, which most tools are able to download from NUS like funkyU or Wii U USB Helper.

Reactions: leonmagnus99

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-